Clinque vs. Prescriptives?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting a new foundation finally!!! .. I've narrowed it down to either Clinique or Prescriptives.

Could you let me know if you use one of the 2 or both and what type of skin you have (Fair, dark, etc)??

Thanks so much ladies!

I've used clinique before and I think Superfit foundation would be the way to go. As far as prescriptives..um...i've never used it, but i've heard good things about it. You should check out the reviews and just go to their department stand and ask for a sample.

id go for prescriptives for makeup stuff and clinique for skincare (at least thats what i do).

I've never used Prescriptives, but I have used Clinique in the past. I'd say I'm medium skin toned, although it can be medium-dark. My skin is combo, and I used the stay-matte formulas I believe... I don't remember since it's been about 5 years now...

i use prescriptives custom blend foundation. my tone would be coffee. i have combo, acne prone skin. i chose prescriptives because i was between colors in every line i tried. the custom blend is an exact match for my skintone, so no more guessing! i've never used clinque.

I've never tried Prescriptives, but i've tried Clinique superbalanced foundation and superfit foundation. I really liked the texture of superfit, but none of Clinique's shades were right for me. I'm fair, neutral undertones, more on the yellow-ish side, and all the "fair" shades were pretty dark or just off!

Prescriptives! My dermatologist said that's the only brand that's truly noncomedogenic (won't clog your pores). My skin is super pale, very oily, and still a little acne-prone, so these were my impressions on the products I've tried:

Clinique Superfit Foundation -- not pale enough for me, also seemed greasy and not good for oily skin.

Clinique Blended Face Powder -- seemed greasy for a loose powder and was hard to blend. Just a weird a texture compared to other loose powders I've tried.

Prescriptives Virtual Matte foundation, concealor, and powder -- I've heard it's great for oily skin, but they didn't make a color pale enough for me, and I didn't want to pay $65 for a custom-blend foundation
frown.gif

Prescriptives Traceless Foundation -- since this is so sheer, it did blend into my skin and the lightest color did work for me. I also liked the sheer coverage (it was rather liberating to not feel like I was wearing a mask!), but I didn't like how this foundation had a dewy finish and was obviously not designed for oily skin.

Prescriptives All Skins loose powder -- I tried it since it's supposed to be translucent and their non-translucent powders were all too dark for me. This was slighty translucent but still added some color to my skin. The peachy undertones in this powder just made my skin look orange
frown.gif

Prescriptives Flawless Skin Concealor -- since this concealor runs lighter than their foundations, the palest cool color in this concealor is a perfect match for my skin!
biggrin.gif
I still use this concealor, underneath my current mineral foundation (Aromaleigh)

Hope that helps!
smile.gif

PS: I've never been able to figure out whether I have pink or yellow undertones. Prescriptives color-matched me to their pinkest/coolest shades, and I do wear the Flawless Skin concealor in a cool shade. EDM's cool foundation was also a good color match for me (but I disliked it for other reasons). However, Aromaleigh's cool and neutral foundations looked too pink on me, and their warm foundation (yellow and peach undertones according to the website) is the color that matches my skin best!
confused.gif

I've used both clinique and prescriptives. I prefer prescriptives for foundation. They have a great color selection and it never broke me out. When I used clinique, I couldn't always get a good color match or else it made my skin mad.

I now use minerals. If I went back to liquid, I would stop at prescriptives.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

With Clinique, it will depend on your skin type (oily, dry, normal, combo) to determine what type of foundation you'll be able to use. I know this because I used to work for Clinique. I know that:

Superfit makeup is for oily skin.

Superbalanced is for combo skin.

The only two foundations for dry skin, are the ones for aging skin. They're called repairwear and dewey smooth. (Middle aged to elderly women).

Soft finish is for sensitive skin.

Clarifying makeup is for acne prone skin.

There are others that are suitable for any skin type, but just ask them to skin type you for a foundation that fits your skin. Then, they can match you.

I've used both..and I would def pick Px...Clinique did not work for dry skin at all....

My skin is really pale,and I almost never find a foundation dark enough in Clinique...Finally,though,I did, and Prescriptives(which I'd already been using,and still love)was so much better, I wondered why I'd even bothered to experiment. Imo, Prescriptives makes some of the very best foundations on the market. Flawless Skin is the kind of Prescriptives foundation I currently use, and I don't plan to stray from Prescriptives again. For foundations,(but not skincare,etc.) I think it is far superior to Clinique.

i tried both and perfer clinique cause of the color it wasnt as yellow as px i like the gentel light which they discountinued

Go for Prescriptives.

But if you're flexible and you'll consider Estee Lauder, get EL Double Wear.

Back