Best makeup brand for 50+ year old mom?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm relatively new here, but I LOVE this forum, and I'm a faithful reader. I had a question- I would like to give my mom the gift of high end makeup, but I'm at a loss as to what would be best for her. I'm partial to Mac and Stila (with some Lancome thrown in) but I know she doesn't like anything "out there" as far as color. She's hispanic, with light coloring, black hair and brown eyes and in her mid 50's. Any ideas? I was thinking Lancome, but I don't know. I've only ever used their mascara and lip gloss. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I am 45 and I wear MAC. Lancome has nice mascara but I like MAC shadows and blushes better.

Thanks for the suggestions!
smile.gif

What kind of makeup do you want to buy her? I would think most any brand would make some conservative and neutral colors that you could pick out for her... My favorite eyeshadows are Milani brand, even though Milani is marketed towards African-Americans and other darker skintones, and I am a super-pale white girl! (And most of my Milani shadows are nice neutral browns that would work for a lot of skintones!)
smile.gif

Anyway, I guess you don't want to buy your mom Milani since you are looking for a high-end brand, but I was just trying to illustrate that most any brand will probably have some products she would like!
smile.gif

i think mac would work for her if you give her neutral colours since she doesn't like ones that stand out too much.

i'm quite close to 50 and i love prescriptives foundation. great coverage without looking fake or heavy.

I vote Chanel! or Armani. Its a bit expensive but worth all the money. MAC is away to go too. I think you shoult think more about color than brand. But thats just me.

Originally Posted by LaStupenda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey!I'm relatively new here, but I LOVE this forum, and I'm a faithful reader. I had a question- I would like to give my mom the gift of high end makeup, but I'm at a loss as to what would be best for her. I'm partial to Mac and Stila (with some Lancome thrown in) but I know she doesn't like anything "out there" as far as color. She's hispanic, with light coloring, black hair and brown eyes and in her mid 50's. Any ideas? I was thinking Lancome, but I don't know. I've only ever used their mascara and lip gloss. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi,
Do you live near Sephora? This is a great place to test out different foundations (textures, finishes, etc...).
21.gif
At 51, I use MAC, Iman or Black Opal. There has not been a reason to change my foundations at all.
icon14.gif

I'd suggest Laura Mercier or Bobbi Brown or Lancome for foundations/concealers, and for lipsticks as well. But MAC makes plenty of gorgeous, understated eyeshadows(as well as its more vivid ones) that would also be nice for someone 50+...If I had to suggest just one brand overall,I'd pick Laura Mercier for women in this age range--their products are mostly very moisturizing and light deflecting

I've got to throw in a NARS plug...at least take a peek at their site. Great color previews and a good mix of subtle and more vibrant colors. Hope it helps.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by susanks1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am 45 and I wear MAC. Lancome has nice mascara but I like MAC shadows and blushes better. I'm not a fan of mac but I guess practically everyone else likes that brand so I guess that's ok too.

For the more mature & conservative woman & a high end line, I would have to vote Esteé Lauder, Chanel or Bobbi Brown. I am mid-40's, use some of each of these lines & they have fantastic products for all ages but have terrific focus for more mature skins.

what about yves saint laurent? i believe that they have several foundations for the mature skin

Originally Posted by LaStupenda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey!I'm relatively new here, but I LOVE this forum, and I'm a faithful reader. I had a question- I would like to give my mom the gift of high end makeup, but I'm at a loss as to what would be best for her. I'm partial to Mac and Stila (with some Lancome thrown in) but I know she doesn't like anything "out there" as far as color. She's hispanic, with light coloring, black hair and brown eyes and in her mid 50's. Any ideas? I was thinking Lancome, but I don't know. I've only ever used their mascara and lip gloss. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Being a woman that is in her 50's (me) lol, I will tel you that I use BE Bare Essentuals mineral make up, and I just love it, it seems to treat this old skin better
biggrin.gif
maybe you'r mom would like to try some of that, maybe just get some samples to start with and see if she likes it! HTH

Back