What exactly do you need to apply to MAC or Sephora?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering because i'm considering getting a job at either [though a new Sephora is opening and i'd <33333 it there more]. Do you need a portfolio or something for it? Also- what's the minimum age? I'd like to start at 17... haha or is it too young?

Those working there, how'd you get in and everything?

Originally Posted by kaii /img/forum/go_quote.gif Just wondering because i'm considering getting a job at either [though a new Sephora is opening and i'd <33333 it there more]. Do you need a portfolio or something for it? Also- what's the minimum age? I'd like to start at 17... haha or is it too young?
Those working there, how'd you get in and everything?

You have to be 18 I believe to work at Sephora and definitely so at MAC. I would recommend you having a portfolio, I only know what MAC is looking for, sorry...
You need to have at least some makeup background and be able to apply and know color on someone else demonstrating skill. Also if you have some retail background that is great as well...

There's threads around here somewhere, but I'm not finding them
frown.gif
I read somewhere else you have to be 18, but I'm not 100% positive. I would assume retail and customer service, as well as at least a basic comprehension of makeup and application of makeup.

i dont have the slightest clue. i never really thought about it

i'm not sure how old you gotta be to work at sephora, but i went there with no retail experience at all and they hired me, obviously. at sephora, they don't care if you don't have any background for whatever you're applying.

I have a pretty good background in makeup (i've done stage type makeup for previous halloweens ^^ ill post in this years when the time comes)- and in colors [also i've been an AP art student for 3 years now D:] . I'm just gonna go around goving makeovers to people and taking pictures [i have no camera atm] Too bad i have to be 18 though! So, Jennifer, did you have any other previous job experience before applying?

Quote:
So, Jennifer, did you have any other previous job experience before applying? my only job before that was waitressing, but they were kinda fine with it, considering i dealt with the same types of people i deal with now working there!

i would love to work at sephora or mac, im not really good at the color matching. and honestly the jobs ive ever had all dealt with books or bookstores.

thats not much help in the makeup area.

I just needed to find someone that works at sephora! If you wouldnt mind telling me a little about working there? We're opening our first sephora here in montreal and i just had my interview which went pretty well, the store director is new also she only started a month ago. I just wanted to know if we get reduced pay for the SOS training? Do we get paid at all? and what is training like? Is it hard to remember all the products? And how much is employee discount? ANd whats the uniform like? And how long do they take to call you back after an interview? The store director told me that SOS starts May 2nd so i'm expecting by next week! Ialways wanted to work at Sephora. How many employees are there in one store?

I'm sorry for so many questions i just want to be ready!! thank you so much!

I know for MAC they wanted to see my portfolio and i knew someone there (because i went so much they knew me but name and credit card
frown.gif
) They set up an appointment to do color matching and two different eyeshadow looks. after that i don't know what happens because i had to move before i could even start work
frown.gif
and i think you must be 18. i tried when i was 16 and they told me to wait a few years...

Sephora i think is like any other department store makeup counter they train you for everything! at least that's what i was told by the girl training there when i asked about applying. she had limited knowledge of makeup application but she looked good wearing it. it's a lot to remember but she got the hang of it after two weeks. as for the pay i have no clue. sorry.

Hope that helps!

in my country you need a diploma (mainly cosmetic/aesthetician courses), i think they even hire people with a commercial background, but more for office jobs.

you need to have some sort of experience in the sales &client relationship area, and that's only my opinion here, but for sephora, i think a portfolio is a huge bonus.

you need to be 18 which is the legal age here, and because you need a diploma in reality you won't start working before you're 20 (as most beauty diplomas are 2-year courses). people between 16 and 18 can only work during their holidays with their parents' authorization and under 16 they can help their parents if they own a shop.

you do get paid while you're training for your job.

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif i'm not sure how old you gotta be to work at sephora, but i went there with no retail experience at all and they hired me, obviously. at sephora, they don't care if you don't have any background for whatever you're applying. Really. So you don't have to have official makeup background (just love it) and you can work there?

Thanks guys! I have a lot of retail experience, when i had my interview for sephora she was really impressed that i worked at wal-mart, to me it looks like everything went well, she called back the next to take my refrences and said she'd call me by monday or tuesday!! I hope I get the job!! Does anyone know what the employee discount is at sephora?

I would totally love to work at Sephora, I'm not sure if the ones around me are hiring though >< lol Do they take walk in apps? or can I call in to ask if they're hiring....etc. since I spend most of my money in Sephora I'd figure to apply haha.

I just sent Sephora Canada a thank you e-mail, aaaaah I hope she calls soon! I know that she hasn't called my refrences yet because i still keep in contact with one of my past employers and she said she hasnt received a call yet, I got 3 other job offers but i rejected them cus i really want this job at sephora!
scared.gif

most MAC's want you to have experience at other makeup counters before they hire you. whenever i go to MAC counters i always ask what other counters they worked at before this and none of the makeup artists i have ever met have said "this is my first counter". most of them are very experienced.

Back