HELP! I want to apply eyelash extensions, but...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to apply eyelash extensions, I even purchased the Ardell DuraLash Eyelash Extension Kit. I am hesitant, though.

I already have short, spars lashes (duh, why else would I want extensions!) and so I am worried that I could damage my already whimpy lashes with the glue that is used.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? Also, advise on application would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Heidi in NC

Check out the Tutorials. There's at least two in there on applying false lashes.

Are you referring to traditional false lashes or actual lash extensions? I really would not recommend doing lash extensions on your own...you could seriously damage your lashes.

If you're referring to false lashes, I agree with what Aquilah said.

Thanks for your replies! Yes, they are extensions that you apply with glue to your own lashes. They are not the strips. The package claims that they are as close to natural lashes as possible and will shed like your natural lashes do. I am not really worried so much about the application, I have a pretty steady hand (though I am sure that it will be time consuming). I am more curious about others' experiences with them.

Heidi

I really feel that true eyelash extensions should only be applied by professionals since they are semi-permanent. I know of other people who have caused serious damage to their lashes by trying to do it on thier own. I haven't tried them myself, though.

I wish you the best!
smile.gif

Well, thank you for the sound advice! You have made me see reason. I have decided not to attemp them on my own. Too risky!

Heidi in NC

Originally Posted by heidijvz /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, thank you for the sound advice! You have made me see reason. I have decided not to attemp them on my own. Too risky!
Heidi in NC

Sorry, I didn't mean to bully you! lol.
smile.gif
I just wanted to make sure that you were careful.

totally agree with stereoxgirl....i had eyelash extensions professially done and even then i lost a few lashes. they are fantastic when they're on but i found my lashes looked worse when i let them grow out. i dont know whether that was just because i was so used to these huge bambi lashes! have you tried mavala double lash (product i bought on the internet). this made my lashes grow big and strong again!

I will never get extensions again - I had them done by a professional and they ripped out my real lashes when the glue came off.

I have 2 bald patches that are just starting to fill in - I've been using almond oil on them every night to help.

I got them about 5-6 weeks ago.

No, StereoXgirl, I don't feel bullied at all! I totally appreciate what you had to say, cuz honestly, sometimes I get all excited about something and don't really think it through.

And, Miss Belle, you mentioned mavala for your lashes. What is it, and how long did it take you to see results?

Still thinking about extensions (professionally done) but think I may wait a while.

Heidi in NC

Mavala UK - Care solutions for eyes

i would say it took about 2 weeks, it says 30 days but i noticed an improvement quite quickly. most people get on really well with it. it's worth a try. actually i think there a few threads on here about mavala and other lash treatments.

You know what...I don't think lash extensions are all that it's cracked up to be for some people. It looked fabulous the first couple days I had them on, but the thing was the glue that the professional used was down right irritating. Every time I washed my face, or my eyes would water ever so slightly...I would get the worst burning sensation in my eyes that I have ever felt. It was almost as if there was a timed-release for the fumes to keep coming from that darn glue!!! It was a whole month of torture for something that had it's optimum beauty for a couple weeks. My eyelashes also shed like crazy naturally, so of course it didn't last.

I guess I might go for it again, but I will definitely have things done differently next time. For one thing, I am going to have a different glue used with no fumes!!! I was so sick of staying up all hours of the night in sheer pain due to my eye watering and getting tiny amounts of glue/fumes in it. If any of you go to have this done, and the esthetician comes at you with black glue from a little purple bottle with Japanese writing all over it....RUUUN!!!! Do not let her/him use that low quality product, you will be VERY sorry.

Also, for those who are still considering this option, you may want to use a "lash coater" to seal off your lashes and prevent lint buildup at the glue site. It also keeps the extensions from coming off your lashes before they are naturally shed.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention...no matter what anyone tells you, this technique works best and looks best on those who have at least a slight natural curl (lash curlers after this procedure are a NO-NO), and a medium density lash line (no sparsity).

Thanks for the cautions noxiousbyproxy. I was thinking about getting extensions done professionally too. I think I'll just stick to the strips.

what youre talking about is individual lashes. Ive used that brand before, its not extentions, unless they came out with something new i havent seen yet. It will maybe stay 2-3 days but it is by no means permanent.

you know what i was thinking of eyelash extensions but now i've decided that i'll stick to the safer alternative: glue-on falsies

Back