What does marriage mean to you?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am writing a marriage contract for my Marriage class at college. One of the questions it wants answered is what does marriage mean to you? I thought it would be neat to get some feedback from you guys about what you think marriage means.

BTW. I am not including anyone elses answers in my contract.

A successful marriage means friendship, honour, respect, humour and sharing the same values.

I think marriage is the most special bond that you can share with someone else. It is made of love, faithfulness, trust, honesty, friendship. It means to me essentially "becoming one" with the other person. Ohhh...I can't wait!

Wow what an interesting and deeply thought provoking question!!! I will answer it fully when I think of a good enough answer to this excellent question
smile.gif
))

marriage is finding out that something as insignificant as how you get toothpaste out of the tube can turn into a world war. no its...marriage doesnt change things it just puts a label on what allready exists.love.passion.trust.comfort.balance.understa nding.buyig cookie dough ice cream eatting the cookie dough while he eats the ice cream. when you go for dinner and yours is utterly horriable its tradeing dinners. its learning to cook so he stops eatting frozen dinners and pizzas.accepting the fact that your wife really doesnt know how to work the dishwasher or mop floors and doing it yourself.its slathering vaseline on his face so when you look good he looks good. its spending hours in guitar center and being rewarded with him speding 3 days pay in mac. its knowing that when it snows he starts your car and brushes it off so its warm when you get in. takeing him to get a pedicure and finding out he likes it and not telling his friends. its staying in bed on a cold sunday morning and snuggleing and not leaving the bed. its rolling over after a bad dream and having someone hold you and look in the closet and under the bed for monsters. not being mad when you have to get a new dvd player every other month because your wife fries it. its sharing your shampoo and hair stuff with him cause he likes the way it smells. its showing him how to comb his hair and takeing him for highlites and him running around the coach store trying to find the perfect purse for the pickiest woman on earth who has everything.its calling him to scream"JULIA DID IT WITH THE MIDGET SHE FCUKED THE MIDGET JEFF SHE DID THE MIDGET!!" after nip/tuck because you just cant deal with it and lisa wants to hit you because she doesnt know what youre talking about.its him offering to take off work to go to the dr with you. its...no matter what happends no matter what you still love him...lisa i answered my own questions in this post

Marriage is a commitment of two people who decide that they are incomplete without each other and that they're gonna make it through this wretched world together with love.

Man, that felt cheesy.

I love these responses. My answer was much cheesier than that Whitney. I thought doing this marriage contract thing would be easy, and in my heart I know what I want, but typing it out is SOO hard!

Oh wow, my answer's not that good, but here goes:

To me, marriage is the ultimate commitment. It's how you show each other and the world that you love this person THAT much, it's your declaration that you want to go through life with that person, and only that person, growing old together. It's saying that no matter what comes your way, you want that person by your side to help you face them and you're willing to work through the issues that come up between the two of you. It's the ultimate declaration of love.

Marraige is an ever lasting commitment you make with someone. It is the coming together of 2 souls to form 1. It is beautiful.

Originally Posted by WhitneyF /img/forum/go_quote.gif Marriage is a commitment of two people who decide that they are incomplete without each other and that they're gonna make it through this wretched world together with love. Man, that felt cheesy.

May be cheesey but I love it. I think a marriage is that 2 people want to face the world together as lovers and friends.
I also got to think the big one growing old together is also pretty cool. I want to spend the rest of my life with dh because he "helps" make me complete.

Oh wow! This is a toughie! I'll be honest with you, since John and I got married, our relationship has stayed the same, but somehow we feel a lot closer... I'm not even sure how to describe what it is or how it feels... What it means... I'm gonna have to think more to give a proper answer...

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif marriage is finding out that something as insignificant as how you get toothpaste out of the tube can turn into a world war. no its...marriage doesnt change things it just puts a label on what allready exists.love.passion.trust.comfort.balance.understa nding.buyig cookie dough ice cream eatting the cookie dough while he eats the ice cream. when you go for dinner and yours is utterly horriable its tradeing dinners. its learning to cook so he stops eatting frozen dinners and pizzas.accepting the fact that your wife really doesnt know how to work the dishwasher or mop floors and doing it yourself.its slathering vaseline on his face so when you look good he looks good. its spending hours in guitar center and being rewarded with him speding 3 days pay in mac. its knowing that when it snows he starts your car and brushes it off so its warm when you get in. takeing him to get a pedicure and finding out he likes it and not telling his friends. its staying in bed on a cold sunday morning and snuggleing and not leaving the bed. its rolling over after a bad dream and having someone hold you and look in the closet and under the bed for monsters. not being mad when you have to get a new dvd player every other month because your wife fries it. its sharing your shampoo and hair stuff with him cause he likes the way it smells. its showing him how to comb his hair and takeing him for highlites and him running around the coach store trying to find the perfect purse for the pickiest woman on earth who has everything.its calling him to scream"JULIA DID IT WITH THE MIDGET SHE FCUKED THE MIDGET JEFF SHE DID THE MIDGET!!" after nip/tuck because you just cant deal with it and lisa wants to hit you because she doesnt know what youre talking about.its him offering to take off work to go to the dr with you. its...no matter what happends no matter what you still love him...lisa i answered my own questions in this post Pretty sure thats the best answer ever!

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif marriage is finding out that something as insignificant as how you get toothpaste out of the tube can turn into a world war. no its...marriage doesnt change things it just puts a label on what allready exists.love.passion.trust.comfort.balance.understa nding.buyig cookie dough ice cream eatting the cookie dough while he eats the ice cream. when you go for dinner and yours is utterly horriable its tradeing dinners. its learning to cook so he stops eatting frozen dinners and pizzas.accepting the fact that your wife really doesnt know how to work the dishwasher or mop floors and doing it yourself.its slathering vaseline on his face so when you look good he looks good. its spending hours in guitar center and being rewarded with him speding 3 days pay in mac. its knowing that when it snows he starts your car and brushes it off so its warm when you get in. takeing him to get a pedicure and finding out he likes it and not telling his friends. its staying in bed on a cold sunday morning and snuggleing and not leaving the bed. its rolling over after a bad dream and having someone hold you and look in the closet and under the bed for monsters. not being mad when you have to get a new dvd player every other month because your wife fries it. its sharing your shampoo and hair stuff with him cause he likes the way it smells. its showing him how to comb his hair and takeing him for highlites and him running around the coach store trying to find the perfect purse for the pickiest woman on earth who has everything.its calling him to scream"JULIA DID IT WITH THE MIDGET SHE FCUKED THE MIDGET JEFF SHE DID THE MIDGET!!" after nip/tuck because you just cant deal with it and lisa wants to hit you because she doesnt know what youre talking about.its him offering to take off work to go to the dr with you. its...no matter what happends no matter what you still love him...lisa i answered my own questions in this post LOL Awww, that's really sweet and it definitely sounds like there's no doubt in your mind you love Jeff!

I think marriage can fill a void caused by loneliness or despair. It can satisfy our inborn craving for love, companionship, and intimacy. While it can and does solve some problems....it will introduce some new ones too. This is because marriage is the blending of two distinct personalities that are perhaps compatible but hardly identical.

Every marriage has it's own unique challenges and problems. The question is not whether they will arise but how to face them when they do. Such problems give marriage partners opportunity to show the genuineness of their love for each other. It's these trials that prove the strength of a marriage bond. This is where commitment comes into play and provides a basis for confidence that, come what may, you will support each other.

Marriage takes constant effort and work and let me tell you....it's not always easy but it is very rewarding. One of my favorite scriptures from the bible that I think all marriages can benefit from following is 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 which says,

"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails."

Wow..some really nice answers!!

Bejb1011 - That's really sweet.

I think marriage is finding the person who's faults you can live with and then loving them unconditionaly for as long as you live. (Cheesy

All very good answers!

I think Lisa's Bible quote is a great description of what love is, and of course love is probably the biggest component of marriage! However, I've also always believed that true love (and thus marriage) is not just feelings, but involves a conscious commitment -- a commitment to stay together and work things out even when you don't "feel" in love. If I had to choose just one word that described marriage, it would be commitment!

A lot of bejb's answers also describe the self sacrifice that I think is essential for a healthy marriage. In the best marriages, each person puts their spouse first and themselves second! But that also goes along with commitment, you can't commit to a person very well if you are always thinking of yourself first!

However, I do think that marriage is something different than other kinds of romantic relationships. I hear a lot of people say that marriage is "just a piece of paper" and that it doesn't matter if you get married because nothing changes after marriage, and I don't like that idea! I've always thought that marriage was not only a legal state, but also a spiritual state as well -- you know, "holy matrimony" and all that
wink.gif
We spoke our vows not only before our pastor and the guests, but also before God!

I also think that sex should be saved for marriage, so there's another reason that marriage is special
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif marriage is finding out that something as insignificant as how you get toothpaste out of the tube can turn into a world war. no its...marriage doesnt change things it just puts a label on what allready exists.love.passion.trust.comfort.balance.understa nding.buyig cookie dough ice cream eatting the cookie dough while he eats the ice cream. when you go for dinner and yours is utterly horriable its tradeing dinners. its learning to cook so he stops eatting frozen dinners and pizzas.accepting the fact that your wife really doesnt know how to work the dishwasher or mop floors and doing it yourself.its slathering vaseline on his face so when you look good he looks good. its spending hours in guitar center and being rewarded with him speding 3 days pay in mac. its knowing that when it snows he starts your car and brushes it off so its warm when you get in. takeing him to get a pedicure and finding out he likes it and not telling his friends. its staying in bed on a cold sunday morning and snuggleing and not leaving the bed. its rolling over after a bad dream and having someone hold you and look in the closet and under the bed for monsters. not being mad when you have to get a new dvd player every other month because your wife fries it. its sharing your shampoo and hair stuff with him cause he likes the way it smells. its showing him how to comb his hair and takeing him for highlites and him running around the coach store trying to find the perfect purse for the pickiest woman on earth who has everything.its calling him to scream"JULIA DID IT WITH THE MIDGET SHE FCUKED THE MIDGET JEFF SHE DID THE MIDGET!!" after nip/tuck because you just cant deal with it and lisa wants to hit you because she doesnt know what youre talking about.its him offering to take off work to go to the dr with you. its...no matter what happends no matter what you still love him...lisa i answered my own questions in this post Omg! thats so touching. I just had this great urge to crawl into bed with Chris..and not have sex..but just...talk..let him Know I care..
::tears up::

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Omg! thats so touching. I just had this great urge to crawl into bed with Chris..and not have sex..but just...talk..let him Know I care..
::tears up::

the get off mut and go do it!1

awwwwwww. the sweetest answers.

i loved yours, anna! very cute
smile.gif

marriage, to me, is...

to be continued.

Back