Bra vs. Braless

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently posted in the Fashion Thread a comment that my FMIL made regarding my going braless. It seemed as if all the comments were of the type that women should wear bras, and it is not "appropriate" or "acceptable" for a woman to be in public without a bra.

I was wondering why everyone feels that a woman should wear a bra. For many women, a bra is definatly needed or appropriate. And even so, if they prefer not to wear one then it is their choice.

Does the size of a woman's breasts dictate whether or not a bra is "necessary"? What about a woman who chooses to not wear underwear? Although it might not be as noticable, does that make a difference.

I made the decision to not wear a bra because I did not thing that I really needed one, and felt more comfortable. When my mother realized that I did not wear them, she supported my decision and allowed me to make my own choice. It does not bother my fiance', althought at times he has asked me to wear one and I do so because he feels more comfortable with me having one on. The only person who really makes a comment is my sister, and she does it jokingly as a sister would.

And if it matters, I am a 34B not a Pam Anderson "D" cup.

I'm a very small 34B. I only go braless when I am at home. I never go out in public without a bra on.

I never go out in public w/o a bra although I do think smaller chested women can get away with it more. I just wish I had a bit more then I think I would be more comfortable with it.

Personally, I would never go out in public braless (even though I am only a 34A, but I also live in Alaska, and it's usually so cold out that my nipples would be SO noticeable, lol). Honestly though, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want within reason - and considering you are of smaller bust size, well, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you are comfortable this way, and it is in an appropriate setting - which could be argued as to what is appropriate and what is not (grocery store vs. a big wedding reception) then I really do say go for it.

I wouldnt go to school/work or anything like that braless.. but if it's in the evening and i'm wearing my hoodie or something comfy i won't wear one.. I don't think it's a big deal unless they are hanging out and looking nasty

I'm a 32C and only go braless at home.

I think it has more to do with the shape of the breast (especially if a girl is "cold" and it is noticable) being viewed as sexual. I don't think your fiance would generally mind, because he probably enjoys thinking of you in that way. However, your FMIL may not enjoy the idea of others viewing you in a sexual manner. Mostly I would say it just has to deal with modesty and what is considered socially acceptable where you live. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I couldn't go out in public braless. I think bras make you look better in tops and I personally think that going braless makes you look really sloppy.

I pretty much only go braless at home, unless there's a very special shirt or something that I can't wear one with. I mean, in the summer I'm pretty much in a bathing suit whenever I'm not working, so that's my summer "bra wear". I don't know, it just doesn't seem appropriate to be not wearing one - especially in a situation like you were in at your MIL's house. I just feel there's parts of people's bodies that should be covered in certain occasions - I'm assuming you probably wouldn't go over there in a pair of pants with such a low rise that your thong was visible for the world to see? I definitely think it's easier for small-breasted women, but even though I am part of that club, I still don't really like the look

I rarely go out in public w/o a bra unless I'm wearing a shirt that has one built in, but that's mostly because I look flatter without a bra and it does my shirts no justice. I'm a 32A (barely), so wearing a bra with a little bit of shaping really helps me look better in my clothing. I don't think it's a big deal to go without a bra unless it's REALLY obvious (like a shirt so tight it shows everything).

I agree with the previous posters. As long as it's appropriate and you are comfortable, you shouldn't have to wear a bra. God knows I don't when I don't have to and I'm a 36B as well. With that being said, I would never go to work or a wedding without a bra. I also wouldn't wear something really obvious that says, "hey, look at my nipples, I'm not wearing a bra."

as long as you are not falling out or showing through I do not see a problem with it.

I personally wouldnt go out braless because I just dont want that kind of attention . I also wouldnt want my bf/date/hubby whatever to be oggling someone else who decided to go braless. I mean boobs are boobs big or small no bra usually means male attention.

I personally think everyone should wear a bra -- the main reason being that I think it is very tacky to see hard nipples! If you're small and don't need the support, then yeah, you may not need the support of a bra. But I've always thought that visible nipples were tacky -- I've always made sure that my bras were molded cup or otherwise stiff/padded enough so that the nips would never show!

For the record, I'm a 36AA (the cup size of a 34A but with a wider ribcage, grrr) so I know a lot of people would say I could get away without a bra, but I never go without one! I even insist on wearing a strapless bra under shirts that have a built-in shelf bra, again to hide the nips.... And I personally think I look much nicer in a molded cup bra with underwires, since it helps shapes my boobs and just enhances what I have without adding tons of fake padding or anything! But that's just me, I could care less if other smaller girls want to wear the soft cup / wire-free bras...

As for not wearing underwear, I think that's even grosser (just for hygenic reasons), but at least you can't tell that people are going commando...

I think it's your choice, but if you go braless for long enough, your breast tissue will lose strength and start to sag! That's one of the main reasons women are supposed to wear bras is to prevent sagging later on! B cup is still pretty descent size and the weight will slowly pull them down! I also think the floppy look with hard nipples is gross! If I were you, I would find a really cute, sexy yet comfortable bra so it makes you feel provacative and sexy when you wear it! Or you could wear the shelf bra tank tops under your shirt!!

Personally, I wouldn't go out anywhere braless. Unless I'm in the vicinity of my own house would it be ok. Although I'm a 36A/34B, I feel a bit unnerved since I get cold easily and ppl would definately notice the nips. lol, so I obviously do not need any attention, esp coming from the males.

It used to irk me a lot cuz I have a friend who's barely an A cup and she gets away with wearing a bra, but it's so blatantly obvious she's not wearing one and the guys always used to ogle her and she wonders why...:plain:

Regardless, men are men no matter if you got watermelons or bee stings. lol

However, if you're truly comfortable in exercising your rights not to wear a bra. More props to ya. I just rather detach myself from any attention of the opposite sex :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldnt go out in public braless. I have DDD's, they arent perky....and that woul not be pretty, plus its too hard and my back and shoulders

if you have a small bust, i think you can get away with nothing wearing it. but i think all women should wear it just b/c it looks better and it's good support for your back!

agree^^ i dont wear bra very often only if you can see my nips then i put one on

Personally, I think EVERYONE should wear a bra no matter what size you are. I actually think is nasty when a flat chested woman doesnt wear a bra cuz you can see her nipples and it looks gross

I ONLY go braless at home, behind closed door. Or if I'm running to the store but wearing a sweatshirt. I hate having "nipple-itis", no one needs to see that, lol

Back