-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

That Glossy eye shadow look

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 16 OFFLINE   missnadia

missnadia

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 23-October 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

I was browsing through the "makeup inspiration" section.. and found this gorgeous pic of a glossy eyeshadow look....... Apparently it's done with pertoleum jelly, and only used for photo shoots cause it creases like crazy... Did anybody ever experiment this?? Or did you ever succeed getting this look using something else that doesn't crease?? It looks really amazing I wish I was able to do this..

Posted Image

#Post 2 of 16 OFFLINE   ruby_soho67

ruby_soho67

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 16-November 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

You can use vaseline, lipgloss, or any other brand's multi-purpose gloss (MAC makes allover glosses that are colored). The look really doesn't work for anything other than photoshoots because every time you blink, the gloss will crease. If it's colored gloss (or gloss overtop eyeshadow) the creasing will be even more noticeable. If you wanted to try to get close to the look, I would suggest applying the slightest bit of gloss to the centre of your eyelid while avoiding the crease. HTH!

#Post 3 of 16 OFFLINE   missnadia

missnadia

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 23-October 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hehe.. thanks, but yeah I wouldn't risk putting something as creasing as gloss of vaseline on my eyes.. knowing myself I'd be checking it avery 10 minutes.... It's crazy how much time I spent in the stores looking for a product that can imitate that look before I read that it's only used for photo shoots!!!! Aah how those photo shoots fool us!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

#Post 4 of 16 OFFLINE   mowgli

mowgli

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

Well you can try shimmery metallic eyeshdows that give that polished mirror-y look.. or you can try applying vaseline to the bits around the crease...like on the lid...

#Post 5 of 16 OFFLINE   Guenevere

Guenevere

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Joined 25-July 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

I love this look too but it is really only for temporary use like ruby mentioned. I still haven't found anything to give that effect but with staying power.
ACTIONS speak louder than words! You get back what you put out!

#Post 6 of 16 OFFLINE   han

han

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

i love the look to but wouldnt attempt to wear on myself

#Post 7 of 16 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

i like it too, but i think i prefer a shimmery look.

#Post 8 of 16 OFFLINE   franimal

franimal

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
Reviews

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

has anyone tried the new all over gloss that came out with mac's jewelescent? i tried it on my hand and it felt so sticky and slimey i dont think i could wear it on my face all day but it looked pretty in the picture with the jade glitter stuck to it.

#Post 9 of 16 OFFLINE   Aquilah

Aquilah

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts
  • Joined 22-February 06
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

Good tip Ruby!
"This is life not heaven, you don't have to be perfect."

#Post 10 of 16 OFFLINE   bluebird26

bluebird26

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,126 posts
  • Joined 27-August 05
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

I was also lookign for a glossy eyeshadow, I know Maybelline has it but I gave up looking for those when someone here told me it creases.

#Post 11 of 16 OFFLINE   FeverDream

FeverDream

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
  • Joined 20-November 06
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I was also going to suggest trying a super shimmery/metallic cream eyeshadow, and then maybe you could put something like Make Up For Ever Eye Seal over it to prevent against creasing. I suppose you could also put a little bit of vaseline, or other glossy agent just down around the lash line, to give a hint of the gloss.
"We're women, we never say what we want. But we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it."
-Sliding Doors

#Post 12 of 16 OFFLINE   missnadia

missnadia

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 23-October 06
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

Shimmery stuff is really a different look than glossy... This is why it's so hard to achieve / keep...

#Post 13 of 16 OFFLINE   Retro-Violet

Retro-Violet

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts
  • Joined 05-November 05
Reviews

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

i love this look, but i can never get it right worth the life of me.

#Post 14 of 16 OFFLINE   Henna_Spirit

Henna_Spirit

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05
Reviews

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:18 AM

could you use the gloss/vaseline trick anywhere else on the face to create a 'wet' look? or does anyone have any better ideas for that. this is for a shoot btw :D
HennaSpirit

Please call me Angela... Henna Spirit is my company name

#Post 15 of 16 OFFLINE   missnadia

missnadia

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 23-October 06
Reviews

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

' Yeah I think vaseline is pretty safe to use anywhere on the face.. And I've also been reading about glycerin lately and it's said to be used by makeup artists to imitate tears and sweat, so that's also something else you could use I think...

#Post 16 of 16 OFFLINE   ShadowXShader

ShadowXShader

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 09-December 10
Reviews

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by missnadia View Post

I was browsing through the "makeup inspiration" section.. and found this gorgeous pic of a glossy eyeshadow look....... Apparently it's done with pertoleum jelly, and only used for photo shoots cause it creases like crazy... Did anybody ever experiment this?? Or did you ever succeed getting this look using something else that doesn't crease?? It looks really amazing I wish I was able to do this..

Don't try itwith Vasoline at all.  Its been known to be very irritating.  Rose Salve is suppose to be better.  The artist that did the model in that firstpic you posted used Rose Salve and clear gloss mixed together.  Push it on the lid rather than swiping it.  This should be done right when the model is ready to shoot....HTH