That Glossy eye shadow look

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was browsing through the "makeup inspiration" section.. and found this gorgeous pic of a glossy eyeshadow look....... Apparently it's done with pertoleum jelly, and only used for photo shoots cause it creases like crazy... Did anybody ever experiment this?? Or did you ever succeed getting this look using something else that doesn't crease?? It looks really amazing I wish I was able to do this..

27757-normal_002.jpg

You can use vaseline, lipgloss, or any other brand's multi-purpose gloss (MAC makes allover glosses that are colored). The look really doesn't work for anything other than photoshoots because every time you blink, the gloss will crease. If it's colored gloss (or gloss overtop eyeshadow) the creasing will be even more noticeable. If you wanted to try to get close to the look, I would suggest applying the slightest bit of gloss to the centre of your eyelid while avoiding the crease. HTH!

Hehe.. thanks, but yeah I wouldn't risk putting something as creasing as gloss of vaseline on my eyes.. knowing myself I'd be checking it avery 10 minutes.... It's crazy how much time I spent in the stores looking for a product that can imitate that look before I read that it's only used for photo shoots!!!!

Aah how those photo shoots fool us!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Well you can try shimmery metallic eyeshdows that give that polished mirror-y look..

or you can try applying vaseline to the bits around the crease...like on the lid...

I love this look too but it is really only for temporary use like ruby mentioned. I still haven't found anything to give that effect but with staying power.

has anyone tried the new all over gloss that came out with mac's jewelescent? i tried it on my hand and it felt so sticky and slimey i dont think i could wear it on my face all day but it looked pretty in the picture with the jade glitter stuck to it.

I was also lookign for a glossy eyeshadow, I know Maybelline has it but I gave up looking for those when someone here told me it creases.

I was also going to suggest trying a super shimmery/metallic cream eyeshadow, and then maybe you could put something like Make Up For Ever Eye Seal over it to prevent against creasing. I suppose you could also put a little bit of vaseline, or other glossy agent just down around the lash line, to give a hint of the gloss.

Shimmery stuff is really a different look than glossy... This is why it's so hard to achieve / keep...

could you use the gloss/vaseline trick anywhere else on the face to create a 'wet' look? or does anyone have any better ideas for that. this is for a shoot btw :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

'

Yeah I think vaseline is pretty safe to use anywhere on the face.. And I've also been reading about glycerin lately and it's said to be used by makeup artists to imitate tears and sweat, so that's also something else you could use I think...

Originally Posted by missnadia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was browsing through the "makeup inspiration" section.. and found this gorgeous pic of a glossy eyeshadow look....... Apparently it's done with pertoleum jelly, and only used for photo shoots cause it creases like crazy... Did anybody ever experiment this?? Or did you ever succeed getting this look using something else that doesn't crease?? It looks really amazing I wish I was able to do this..

27757-normal_002.jpg

Don't try itwith Vasoline at all.  Its been known to be very irritating.  Rose Salve is suppose to be better.  The artist that did the model in that firstpic you posted used Rose Salve and clear gloss mixed together.  Push it on the lid rather than swiping it.  This should be done right when the model is ready to shoot....HTH 

Latest posts

Back