Talc vs Mica

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> sorry if this has been asked before... I'm in a bit of a rush (im in school right now haha). Well, yesterday I was at Walmart looking to buy Sally Hansen's Cornsilk powder... but I read the ingredients on two similar looking packages... and one had a main ingredient of Talc, while the other had Mica as their main ingredient. I'm not sure which one I should get... What one is worse?

They're both minerals, silicates. Really, there's not much in it. They're used in cosmetics as "fillers" to make pigment go further and lots of products contain one, the other or both. Neither of them is particularly bad for your skin; neither of them is particularly good for it either. Just buy the powder that looks nicest.

Too much of either can be a bad thing. Talc--too pale/ashen, mica--too much sparkle. Look at how high they are on the ingredient listing.

Back