OMC Wants Your Opinions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As many know, I'm one of the co-owners of Ocean Mist Cosmetics. I want to thank you folks for the great reviews would like to throw a few thoughts out there and get opinions.

One of our ingredients is magnesium silicate which is talc. We use it in the same amount as sericite mica. Some companies will say it's a cheap filler, but it's the same price if not more than sericite mica (as we purchase it now). It also seems to lend a softer, silkier texture to our makeup then just using regular sericite only.

Now, according to all I have researched, this is a product that in considered safe as used. The only problem I have is that some people find it irritating and some people are generally afraid of it because of what is said about it. Again, I can find no CONCLUSIVE studies that deem cosmetic grade asbestos free talc as harmful. If you know of any, please point them in my direction. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been giving this some consideration for a while now and I have been thinking of removing talc from our mineral makeup line. Saying that, I have to say this... Removing an ingredient will change the way the product feels and it can also change the color. BUT! There's a but here of course :bootyshake: I have found an ingredient that's more expensive (about 6x more), but I'm falling in love with it every day. I recieved a sample today from a supplier and I'm going to be testing out how it works in my formula without talc. This ingredient might give more coverage, might lighten the makeup, change the texture (for the better, I think), etc. I have to make sure that my colors are the same also.

Soooo, here's my question:

Has anyone looked at a cosmetic and said, "Nope, I don't want to try that brand because it contains talc and it irritates my skin, causes cancer, clogs pores, etc."?

I have had no complaints of irritation from any of my customers and generally the reviews of our makeup have been really good. I know that once I change the formula, it won't be the same, but I can hopefully make it better.

Some other opinions I would like to hear from people about as well:

You can get some very pigmented eyeshadows with minerals, but more bright and intense hues would need colors not considered minerals, like FD&C colors. I'm considering these to make some brighter eyeshadows and even lipcolors. What are your opinions on these?

How about preservatives? Some folks are leery of parabens, but from my research, again, I cannot see conclusive studies on the dangers of them. But, because I want people to feel safe when using our products, I would find alternative preservatives if I am going to use these in products. Generally, this would be for skin care products and liquids like mascara, and lipglosses.

Ok, and if there's a product that you would LOVE for a company to make, what would it be?

Oh, and if I do this, I'll need testers!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oceanmist, you know that I am a fan of your makeup.

Changing the formulation and altering the color intensity? Oh no please. I had just logged in today to post a thread stating how I was just about to place an order for some of your eyeshadows and blushes because IMO somebody over there at Oceanmist has it just right. Not too soft and by no means garrish. Now a change. Oh dear.

Ok. getting back to what your post is about. You could produce a "vegan" or all natural line to satisfy all of the customers who are super concerned with every element that they subject their faces to (not that the rest of us aren't) some are just more concerned and/or more sensitive. That line may be a bit more costly as are organic foods. You then could retain your original line that is great IMO and doesn't need alteration.

I for one would love to be a tester for your products as would my daughters and best friend/sister, and I'm going to make this quick because I was just shopping on your site and I'd like to get back to that...

but ( I've lost my thought)

Oh yes, I came on this board to start a thread about my love for your blushes and eyecolors, how the colors actually show up and are true, natural, and not too intense or severe at all, I saw this post and I think that I may have panicked a bit.

I might not have worded it correctly. My plan is to NOT change the colors or their intensity. I guess what I'm wondering is how people feel about certain ingredients in their products. I'm not changing anything yet :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just wanted to hear what people have to say.

Oceanmist I sit here typing this as I open my latest order from your company. :rotfl: First of all, I absolutely LOVE your products. I love the coverage, texture and colors. I also feel as though I get a great value for my money. I am new to mineral makeup, but with sensitive skin (and a newly discovered allergy to goat hair and therefore cosmetic brushes) I find this an excellent alternative.

To answer your questions I love the coverage you provide now, but I would be willing to try, and spend a little more, if a foundation change were for the better.

I do not seem to have a problem with talc and I have never avoided any products that used it. As for FD&C colors, and preservatives, I have shied away from some products and colors in the past. In my case, it depends on the product and my level of usage. I enjoy mineral eyeshadows and foundations in part because I believe they are "better" for my skin than "traditional" makeup. That may be a myth or a fallacy but it does make me feel better using them. I think preservatives and FD&C colors in mascaras or lipcolors would be fine, but I would prefer e/s and blush without them.

As for a product I'd love to see...how about a compact with a mirror that can be filled with mineral veil or foundation and carried in a handbag. My biggest frustration now is how to carry and more easily touchup my makeup at lunch. I now carry my mineral veil, a mirror, and a brush. Any thoughts?

As for being a tester...ohmigosh....I'd pay you for the privilege!

Thanks for such wonderful products and fast service!

I just emailed you (ocean mist) on your website. I was thinking of trying the sample kit. I wanted help in choosing a color. But also, I am concerned about the magnesium stearate. My skin has mostly cleared from some adult acne (hopefully gone for good) and I am worried about any irritation to my skin. I am not sure if it will irritate but other minerals I've used do not have that ingredient. I wanted to make sure about it before I put it on.

I noticed in your post you said you haven't had customers complaining about irritation. Perhaps my skin would be fine as well.

I havent tried Ocean Mist yet, though I've looked, but I do tend to stay away from talc. It dries my skin and makes it rather scalely (sp?) looking and itchy. FD&C colors can irritate some people but I think if its a small amount then I doubt it'd have too much negative affect. I have bad reactions to parabens, and was not happy to find out that PF and Kiss My Face Cosmetics both had loads of parabens. I agree with an earlier comment about keeping the orginal line yet making a new line to see how people respond. Nothings more irritating than a company with a good line (food, cosmetics or otherwise) then changing their formula.

No the fact that you have talc in your product doesn't bother me seeing it is still a far cry from all the ingredients in my liquid.

My concerns would be:

1. How much more would you have to raise the price of your makeup if you use the new ingredient?

and

2. How much would the color change, it's hard for AA women to find a good match and so far your Mocha is a keeper for me.

Oh yeah I would like to be a tester..................................

My thoughts are pretty much the same as quelinda's. "How much would the price increase." Maybe you could keep the original formula and add the new formula as well, that way those who like the original(both the formula and the price.) I'd be more than willing to try a new formula if you were to choose the new ingredient. You know I'm one who loves your foundation! Oh, and I'll get the pictures to you this weekend. I've been busy with the holiday and I have to work Wed. Thurs. and Friday. Or, if you'd like you're more than welcome to save the pics in my thread to your computer and use them. If you do that, then just email me and let me know and I'll email you back! I also told my mom about your makeup! She may be trying it sometime. But, anyway, back to the original question...it's already a great makeup, but if you find a way to make it better, I say go for it, but keep the original available!

maryfitz, I emailed you, but I want to post my response about magnesium stearate so others will know as well.

Magnesium stearate is also known as octadecanoic acid, magnesium salt. It is a common ingredient in tablets, vitamins, capsules, baby powders and more. It's widely regarded as harmless and non-toxic. I have not found anything saying that it's irritating to skin. Ours is vegetable grade though it can be derived from beef as well.

Please know that I research each and every ingredient and I wear this makeup as well. If I don't think it's safe, it's not going in our makeup. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We're getting a new building fixed up, so, once that's done, I may just consider an additional formula for our makeup instead of changing the original formulation. That's one of the reasons why I asked this because I would hate to mess up a good thing. I just wonder if I can make it better!

A new formula would be the same price as our original. As for color changes, if I can make them the same, I will. I don't want anyone to have to try to find new colors with a different formula if they don't have to.

If I make any products with FD&C colors or parabens it will be stated. I will do my best to make my ingredients known. We've recently signed the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics Compact and I do have to check on some things with them to make sure they follow under that compact.

As for a mineral foundation compact, I can look into that. I'm also going to look into pressed mineral foundations as well. And now, I might look into putting a message board on our site so I can ask customers questions there. I hate to do it here as I'm not here to advertise, but to me, this is the best place to get opinions. I'm an MUT junkie first and foremost and I use products outside our line :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for all of the comments so far. I do appreciate it!

Well I've never found a cosmetic that irritated my skin, so your products and my skin got along just fine. And I have never given up on buying a cosmetic because of an ingredient. So in my opinion, there is no problem at all in keeping the talc. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> However I have to say am curious about this new ingredient you mentioned. Let me know if you need a guinea pig. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmm, I think OMC is a great product as it is. I've been meaning to post a review soon but work has been leaving me with little time. But my thoughts on your question...I definitely do look at the ingredients in my makeup. Afterall that is why I switched to mineral cosmetics in the first place. However I don't let it necessarily stop me from trying products of interest.

Changing a product will inevitably turn some people off. But it could bring in a lot of potential success for your company as well. I'd say it never hurts to give it a try though. See how it works. And I am going to go ahead and volunteer as a guinnea pig if you need any help testing your products. I'm saving up to buy your Everything But kit. I loved my trial kit. Although i still need to find my color since none of the three were quite right. Oh well. But good luck and let us know if you decide to release a redesigned or additional product.

I love your makeup as is. That being said I am 48 years old and all for more silky creamy feeling makeup. I personally dont look to far into ingredients so that wouldnt bother me. Hoever COST 6 times more would bother me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Eyeshawdow issue, I dont use brighter eyeshadows though I know younger folks would.

I wouldnt add preservatives personally many people are really trying to be good to their skin and minerals seems to be the place for that, adding preservatives I might as well go to Target :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> for my makeup, and I have really noticed a great difference in my skin since using mineral makeip.

BTW- if you are looking for a older tester I would love to do so~~

Happy New Year~~

I haven't used your minerals yet but they are on my "to try" list.

So, for me, changing the formula to change colours won't affect me as I haven't tried the origonal one!

However, any mention of minerals with preservatives (including parabens) and I won't be ordering. I'm trying to shift over more and more to mmu to get away from putting parabens and preservatives onto my skin. I really don't think it's necessary in mmu.

I'm looking to sample your line but I must admit the mention of talc as one of your first ingredients puts me off. I'm still going to sample though as still use talc-based eyeshadows. Parabens and F/C dyes though, alarm me as everything I've read e.g. parabens being found in breast cancer tumors, etc. makes me feel that too many chemicals are used just because they work before they are properly studied. Even titanium dioxide seems to be questionable according to some sources.

I suppose it comes down to what niche of the market you are trying to attract: the natural-organic types, the pigment collectors, or the high coverage seekers. There are already many brands out there that try to cater to a wide range of customers. I'm looking for a high coverage brand that wears well and doesn't break me out/irritate and preferably has safe ingredients.

I just ordered a sample kit of yours, so I'm not sure how a reformulation would do, but I'd definitely be interested in trying it. I don't hesitate when I see talc or parabens because my face doesn't react much to makeup.

I just received my samples. I have rosacea and extremely sensitive skin so most products will irritate my skin. EDM contains only 4 ingredients and I still get rashes alil here and there. I saw the ingredients on your website and it contains more ingredients then EDM but I still wanted to try it from all the good reviews I've been reading here. I don't know what I'm sensitive to but I guess if the product has around 7 types of ingredients ill be fine or ingredients with a low chance of getting irritated.

I *just* placed my order for the sample. I will let you know what I think when I received it. But I am pretty open in trying new things. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Let me know how it does for you. Some people (and from what I've heard, it's a rare few) have a sensitivity to mica.

Thank you all for trying our products and giving me honest responses. I'm glad that I can ask these questions and get answers from everyone.

After a bit of discussion with my partners, we will try to come out with another foundation line. As for preservatives, like I stated before, it would not be in our minerals (they don't need it if no liquids are introduced), just in skin care / liquid products because they require something to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth. I'm going to research what is available to us and try to find which is the most effective and safe.

Brighter eye colors! I will work on that, but our limitations are that you can't get minerals to be very bright. Aromaleigh's Rocks line uses those FD&Cs along with D&C colors. I'm always playing around with my eyeshadows, micas, and oxides.

If you know some colors you'd like to see, PM me and let me get a look at them. I love to try to match colors! My best friend is always wanting me to do this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back