Quiz: Is Your Hair Damaged?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are your locks hair-commercial-perfect or fried and frizzy? Or somewhere in between? You know the many ways you can hurt your hair, but how much damage are you actually causing? Take this quiz to find out.

Quiz: Is Your Hair Damaged?

this is what i got: Abused but Resilient

Your hair doesn't quite swing over your shoulder in slow motion, but it's also not completely fried. You probably know you do things that hurt your hair, but you're also conscientious enough not to overdo it.

To kick it up a notch and get a truly healthy, gorgeous mane, you don't have to give up as much as you think. "You can blow-dry every day and have beautiful, healthy hair. You just have to know how to do it," says Roman Kusayev, a stylist at the New York City Butterfly Studio. First, remember to use a protective setting spray like TRESemme Instant Heat Tamer Styling Spray ($3.99). Also remember not to apply heat to any section for too long. Keep the styling tool moving at all times. Brian Thompson, senior scalp care expert at the Philip Kingsley Trichological Centre, warns against using a flat iron at any temperature over 110 degrees, or the low setting. It might take a little longer to style your hair, but isn't that a sacrifice you're willing to make?

not good right?

These are my results... i kind of knew the answer seeing as i bleach my hair constantly

Ravaged and Damaged

Maybe the situation isn't quite so dire, but your poor hair is hurting. The cuticle (the protective outside layer of each strand of hair) is damaged and the chemical and water-soluble bonds that hold hair together are probably disrupted. According to Brian Thompson, senior scalp care expert at the Philip Kingsley Trichological Centre, this makes hair dry and compromises its strength and resilience.

The only way to rid yourself of the damaged sections is to cut them out, but there are a few things you can do to protect your hair from further damage, as well as to make it appear healthier while you grow it out. First, lay off on the heat styling and chemical processes. Sure, heat may make hair seem a little sleeker -- and ahem, less damaged -- but embracing your natural texture will make it look even better, especially in the long run.

Next, get frequent trims, even if you are trying to grow hair out. Try a dusting, says Roman Kusayev, a stylist at the New York City Butterfly Studio. This involves trimming dead ends and shaping the layers and angles while keeping the hair's length.

Hair and scalp treatments can also help salvage dry, damaged hair. If you're looking to splurge, try the Kerastase Age Recharge mask offered at high-end salons. For an at-home fix, try Philip Kingsley's Elasticizer ($37.50) or Intensive Scalp Stimulant ($26.50). These contain emollients that will help hold hair together and condition especially dry strands.

Finally, be careful when you comb your hair, especially when it's wet. "Damaged hair will stretch much more easily and then rupture slightly, and not return -- this is why overaggressive brushing and combing causes further damage," says Thompson. Work through knots at the ends first before brushing scalp to tips. And make a pledge to stop torturing your hair!

I got abused but resilient, but I only think it's because I said I never trim my hair. I don't use any sort of heat styling products, minimal topical styling products, and I don't color my hair. Oh well, I guess my hair needs help anyway.

I got "Abused but Resilient" as well... and I think it is pretty accurate. To the touch my hair doesn't feel bad, as I shy away from heat styling unless I am going out or trying to look nice. I dye my hair more often than I should (I've been good lately though)... so that probably has a lot to do with it.

i got abused but resilient too. i dont dye my hair alot but i use a straightener every day. but for some reason i dont have split ends

Neat quiz! I also got Abused but Resilient. Thank god, I thought it would be worse seeing as how I dye my hair a different color every 3 months or so and blowdry. But I try :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Abused but Resilient

Your hair doesn't quite swing over your shoulder in slow motion, but it's also not completely fried. You probably know you do things that hurt your hair, but you're also conscientious enough not to overdo it.

To kick it up a notch and get a truly healthy, gorgeous mane, you don't have to give up as much as you think. "You can blow-dry every day and have beautiful, healthy hair. You just have to know how to do it," says Roman Kusayev, a stylist at the New York City Butterfly Studio. First, remember to use a protective setting spray like TRESemme Instant Heat Tamer Styling Spray ($3.99). Also remember not to apply heat to any section for too long. Keep the styling tool moving at all times. Brian Thompson, senior scalp care expert at the Philip Kingsley Trichological Centre, warns against using a flat iron at any temperature over 110 degrees, or the low setting. It might take a little longer to style your hair, but isn't that a sacrifice you're willing to make?

great test! i was happy to know that i haven't completely destroyed my hair!

Abused but Resilient~~

I don't think that my hair is abused really, outside of blow drying and my 6 week color, I am pretty careful not to be to abusive! :icon_chee

Abused but Resilient

Abused yet resilient here too! I think it's because I've quit coloring it and using heat styling tools... I can only imagine what it would say otherwise LMAO!

My results

Abused but Resilient

My take on my results

The test and the solutions was a crock of mess. What kind of sense does it make to say your hair is already abused, but you can blowdry it EVERYDAY? And I really think this was made for people who hair naturally grows down. Mine doesn't, so it'll never swing on my shoulders.

I also go Abused but Resilient. However, the last time I got my hair trimmed, they stylist said my hair was really healthy since it absorbed water so well (and stayed wet for a long time) and was surprised when I told her that I blowdried it every day and flat ironed it a few days a week!

Abused but Resilient

I highlight twice a year and get it cut every 4 months, but I never heat style, so I think Im in good shape.

Latest posts

Back