This Is Unbelievable!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Check out page 34 in Allure Magazine's January 2007 issue. I found the following bit piece by Meirav Devash

WORD OF MOUTH

----------------------------------------------
AGAINST THE GRAIN

Do-it-yourselfers love hardware stores for their

drywall accessories and caulk guns. Now some

women are snapping up sandpaper for their own

version of dermabrasion--and boasting about it on

Internet bulletin boards.

Like traditional dermabrasion with a high-speed

rotary wheel or brush, sandpaper removes the

surface layer of the skin, explains New York

City dermatologist Doris J. Day. "The problem is

that it's simply not safe," she says. "The sandpaper

could be teeming with bacteria."

Agressive scraping and tiny nicks to the skin

could lead to infection and scarring. Whether for

home or personal renovation, some tasks are best

left to the professionals. --Meirav Devash

End Quote

Now I can understand that desparate times calls for desparate measures, but this is just going too far.

Have any of you heard about this or know anyone who does this so-called "dermabrasion" method at home? What are your thoughts?

I'm sorry but who would use sand paper on there skin? :add_wegbrech: it obvoius its going to harm your skin and scratch it too much!

Some people are just not very educated and naive. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Ugh, I don't care how fine of a grain they're using, that sounds painful! Give me Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasian any day.

I'm cringing just thinking about it. WHY??? That's just nuts...if you need a cheap scrub, use baking soda!

OUCH!

I'm all for DIY beauty ideas/treatments, etc...however, isn't it well-known that Scarring & Infection often occur on patients treated in Dr's offices even when sterile, medical grade products are used???

Soooo.....just imagine what could happen if you use 'non-sterile, hardware grade building supplies' to perform DIY Dermabrasion in your (clean but still non-sterile) bathroom???

scp

Thats really stupid if someone tried that. The first thing I thought when I read this was how much sandpaper would hurt on your face. If I wanted to rip the flesh off my face, maybe I would use it. Ha.

Hi,

Once I got over the shock of reading the article, then I posted it. I just can not imagine someone taking an item that you use to sand/smooth wood surfaces and using it on the face/body.

I remember about 8 years ago reading an interview with a "famous" dermatologist in People magazine. She supposedly had a long list of celebrity clients, and she was based in New York City. I remember being amazed because she advocated daily rubdowns with a pumice stone all over the entire body. OUCH!! She claimed that you had to "work up to it" by starting with a loofah and gradually getting rougher and rougher, but she swore that the constant cell turnover did wonders.

Maybe she's the one sending all of those poor women to Home Depot for their skincare kits.

Shannon

Ive actually been to a website that recommends doing this. It didnt take me long to exit out of it. I could never subject my senistive skin to such a painful thing. I refuse to even us St IVes apricot scrub because I feel it does too much damage.

OMG! This is the first I've heard of it, and that is definitely unbelievable! Wow!

:kopfkratz: Why would someone deliberately do that to themselves? I think I'm going to stick with the traditional microdermabrasion.

Latest posts

Back