Anyone know if you can rebuild collagen in skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i was wondering if you could rebuild collagen in your face w/o any procedure or if any of you knew of the best and more permanent procedure.

ahhh...i doubt it. Products may claim to do so, but it is VERY sketchy and I would not spend tons of money on these products

Tretinoin has been clinically proven to improve collagen production. It is the active ingredient in Retin A or Renova in the US and Stievaa Vitamin A acid gel, in Canada.

Quoting for Paula Begoun, "Tretinoin helps to improvement of skin's healthy cell production, collagen production, elasticity, texture, and dermal thickness."

You can read more in her website cosmeticscop.com

wow, if that's true, do you know where i can purchase it at?

oh, nevermind. i just read about it and it has some bad affects and it said it won't go away until the treatment is stopped. but thanks anyway everyone, i guess i'll just have to go and find someone to do something for me.

In Canada, a doctor has to write a prescription for Stievaa Vit A acid gel.

A family doctor can write the prescription - no need to see a dermatologist.

I am sure that you need a prescription in the US for Renova or Retin A.

A tube lasts for 6 months and costs $30. I have been using it since my mid 20s and I'm 43 now.

General info:

Start at a low strength dosage 0.01 and work up to higher strengths.

Use only a pea size amount and apply to entire face including under eyes. But not eyelids.

Wait at least 15 min after washing face before applying. Ok to apply makeup after applying.

To get use to it at the begining, apply every other day or every 3 days.

Ask pharmacist if it is ok to use moisturizers with it - they might decrease it's strength.

You will need to use spf as your skin will become really sensitive to the sun.

Do not by products over the counter that claim to have retinol or similar. They do not contain Tetrinoin as it is a prescription. These products probably cost more that Retin A and do no more for your skin that cold cream.

What bad side affects does it say? I have heard that some find it irritating.

If you apply it the way I recommend, the irritating goess away pretty quick - and it is very tolerable.

I've recently been doing research to devise an anti-aging regemin for myself, and here are just random excerpts from my notes where collagen is mentioned.

------------------------

Vitamin C: Potent antioxidant, noted for protecting skin cells from sun damage, low risk of skin irritation at concentrations of 10% or lower, strengthens skin’s barrier and minimizes water loss, encourages collagen production, thereby thickening the skin’s dermal layer, reduces inflammation, lightens hyperpigmentation

Amino Acid Peptides: Helps with collagen and elastic producing cells (fibroblasts) becoming less abundant. They start lazy fibroblasts and encourage new ones to return to the aging dermis.

- Work better when combined with antioxidants such as white tea, pomegranate and grape seed extracts plus components essential to restore the ceramide barrier lost as our skin ages. They work together to stimulate dermal fibroblasts to rebuild collagen and elastin fibers

- Treatments are more powerful than AHA treatments, produce more dramatic results, and are not as photosensitizing to the skin, and result in less irritation. Amino acid treatments act by attaching to skin cells to fill in lines and make skin appear smoother, in addition to improving skin tone and color, providing exfoliation, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and minimizing the appearance of photodamage

- Palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 – instructs the body to make more collagen wherever the cream is applied (DDF Cellular Revitalization Age Renewal Cream)

Copper Peptides: Stimulates collagen formation, diminishing fine lines and firming the skin ; stimulates elastin formation, cutting down on sagging and fine lines ; stimulates the formation of the extracellular cement between cells, thus improving skin strength, cutting down on fragility ; Stimulates the formation of GAGS (glycosaminoglycans). This helps to thicken the dermis resulting in a lessening of sagging and helps firm the skin ; Increases blood vessel formation and oxygenation within the skin ; Acts as a potent antioxidant by stimulating the enzymatic function of Superoxide Dismutase.

- Use products like Glycolic Acids and/or vitamin A products to thin the epidermal layer, use products with vitamin C and copper peptides on alternate mornings to stimulate fibroblast activity which results in collagen formation and other important dermal elements. Don't use Vitamin C at the same time as copper products.

- Vitamin A helps with collagen formation in addition to its exfoliating functions, copper peptides act both as an antioxidant to help prevent aging skin changes while helping stimulate collagen and elastin formation within the dermis

You certainly have done your homework. As you can see, I'm a great fan of Tetrinoin. And not so much for vit c.

Have you looked into the cost for making a collagen producing product?

I know Mario Badescu has a product called "Collagen Moisturizer with SPF 15." I don't know how effective it is, but it's a nice moisturizer in general. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

this is what i found, but i think it was for acne. Tretinoin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

warmth or slight stinging of the skin

lightening or darkening of the skin

red, scaling skin

increase in acne sores

swelling, blistering, or crusting of the skin

i also read that if irritaion occurs, it won't go away until you stop the treatment. but i'll do some more research.

Retin A, Renova and Stievaa Vit A acid gel can be prescribed for either acne or for cosmetic purposes.

Tretinoin can causes a burning, irritating sensation. Some people apply too much to often when first starting out. The end result is feeling like a bad sunburn.

If you follow the instructions I gave earlier, these side affects can be avoided.

But as with any prescription, there can be side affects. If you can not tolerate them, definately talk to your doctor or the pharmacist.

ok, thanks, i guess all i can do is try and see how it works for me. do you remember how much of a difference you saw in the begining?

According to many dermatologists, the initial quality of skin will get worse, and slowely will improve, as your skin is adjusting to the medication

I'm 43 and I started using Stiervaa Vit A acid gel in my mid 20's. I was using it my face daily to help control oiliness and blackheads. I also used topical medication for cystic acne. Because I needed to use SPF, I started to wear makeup with spf - Revlon I think.

I can remember being 29, and being complemented on my skin. My friend was studying my face and couldn't believe I had no wrinkles or sign of sun damage.

Over the years, I have had similar complements.

Tretinoin is a product that you use as part of your daily skin care. It is not a fast fix and is not offered as such. It will not make a 50 year old look 25. But in my case, it allows me to have healthy, (almost) wrinkle-free skin that I am thrilled with.

unless i had a lot of ppl commenting on my collagen count...i don't think i would really bother..but that's just me =)

How often do you really have ppl go..whoa..great boost on that collagen..who did you go see? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm teh cynic!

well, i've always had good skin (i get it from my mom), but since i've moved to fl. and alcohol on top of that, i've noticed my face doesn't look the same. but it didn 't really start changing until after i had my second son who will be 2 in a couple of months.

my question is..why are you putting alcohol on your face? it should belong in your cocktails!

hehe, uhm...yea, i know what you mean...alcohol meaning toner? if so, what kind? florida really humid or dry? uhm.. i dunno if your skin is really bad or just slight..but there's a procedure...that is relatively new..plasma resurfacing..and you see improvements after the procedure..immediate improvements and yer skin keeps improving up to a year.

i believe it's called plasma skin resurfacing. they put these goggles on you and a cooling gel on your skin and use this laser instrument (never touches your face) and it's much better..if not..almost infinitely better than the typical skin resurfacing we know. I would totally consider it when the time comes..though dunno if its your thing...but it is permanent. I am wishy about potions and lotions..i read the ingredient list too much and more than half if not..most do nothing but moisturize..so..

Back