What cleanser to use with Retin-A Micro?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently using retin-a micro 0.04%...i am using Purpose facial cleanser with it, along with an oil free moisturizer. is anyone using retin-a micro as well? i notice that it makes my skin really dry and it's peeling a lot so i dont' want to use a strong cleanser. if anyone is using this, can you let me know which facial cleanser you're using along with it? thanks!

im using it too.. and my derm, told to use cetaphil products, I haven't hade a problem with it. I have combo skin.

I use Retin a micro too...and I use cetaphil or purpose according to what I feel like. The dryness only lasts for a few days, then your skin will stop flaking.

thanks girls! yeah, i noticed the dryness and peeling isn't too bad anymore. it's just that i started breaking out a litte after some clearing (could be stress) but did you guys experience something similar?

Some gentle ones I'd recommend are Cetaphil Gentle Wash and Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

I do the same thing too. I use Purpose morning and night...at night, I apply Retin-A micro after I wash my face, then apply my moisturizer after 20-30 minutes. The Retin-A was working really well, but then i'm in my 5th week and i'm starting to breakout again...and i can't understand why because i didn't change my regimen...:frown:

I'm using Retin-A micor, with Desert Essence facewash. Then I use emu or jojoba oil as a moisturizer at night. Splash face with water in the morning and use SPF65 moisturizer

I've read somewhere that you are supposed to wait 30 minutes after washing your face before you put on the Retin A. Aveeno Ultra Calming face wash may help.

I use a Canadian version of Retin A. Make sure you wait at least 20 minutes after washing face, before applying Retin A.

Also, make sure the moisturizer is not going to decrease the effectiveness. Ask the pharmacist or doctor that prescribed, just to be sure.

The Retin A doesn't work on the cystic break outs I get. I use Neo Medrol, a prescription medication for those. The combination of Retin A and Neo Medrol is quite effecive for my skin. As per original question, Cetaphyl is a great cleanser and Cetaphly with baking soda makes a good scrub.

When I used Retin-A I used Cetaphil too. I don't think you can go wrong with this stuff. They don't sell it over here so I buy it when I go to the States, good job it lasts a long time!

I love purity made simple by philosophy and paula's choice one step cleanser--both very non irritating non drying!

I also use Retin A Micro and after reading up on it extensively, here are the important things I've found:

- use only a pea sized amount on the face. Dryness will occur initially but should subside. If dryness persists, lessen use to every other day or every few days. Up your dosage as your skin allows.

- apply the product to a completely dry and clean face. Wait 20 minutes after washing.

- if dryness persists, apply moisturizer 20 minutes after application. 20 minutes seems to be the magic number with Retin-A.

- make sure to use SPF to protect the newly generated skin and help reduce dryness. The sun dries out skin.

I use a cetpaphil bar of soap and/or La Roche Posay gel cleanser. I've had no problems with these. I normally have combo skin but with Retin-A, I've noticed dryness ins my nose and chin which has never been an issue. I moisturize morning and night now, and sometimes in between.

How long before the users here saw a marked difference in their skin?

I am using Retin-A Micro and hate the fact that I need to wait 30 min's. Are you sure you don't need to? May I ask how you know this?

Also, have you heard that some moisturizers make Retin-A less effective? FYI, I am using the Retin-A Micro for anti-aging, NOT acne.

My derm had told me that I don't need to wait 30 minutes after washing to apply Retin A Micro. However, I would need to wait with the regular Retin A. Though..I'm not sure why..

I think I heard somewhere that the more expensive, non-generic ones (like Retin-A Micro) are more emollient (that's why they cost more) so they are less likely to cause irritation. So I think you don't need to wait until your skin is 100% dry.

Has anyone tried Cera Ve yet? Similar consistency to Cetaphil but I think it might be even gentler! Try it out. You can get it at Walgreen's.

Back