Jump to content

-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk


Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

How long can make up be kept?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 20 OFFLINE   maiho

maiho

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 05-February 04
Reviews

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:52 AM

I keep on hearing that you're suposed to throw away your lipsticks after 6 months, and your eyeshadows after like a year. But I can't throw my make up away. I just can't. I do notice lipsticks do go bad after like a year. Mascaras dry up really fast. But I've never gotten rid of any of my MAC eyeshadows before. How long do you guys keep your make up for?? Do you actually throw it away or only until you notice it has gone bad or dried up.

#Post 2 of 20 OFFLINE   maiho

maiho

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 05-February 04
Reviews

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:57 AM

But yah I do throw away make up that goes on my face like foundation, blush and stuff. I don't keep those past a year or so, and plus my foundation doesnt last more than a year anyway. But eyeshadows, I don't think its too bad, because its just on my eyelids. Eye makeup like mascara, i definitely throw those out after 8 months-a year max. I don't have very many lipsticks so i don't have to worry about those. hehe.



Originally Posted by Maribelle Lebre
My general rule is one year for everything, but I'm not very good at rules. In all honesty, I've been known to keep lipsticks for a few years because I had so many of them they actually lasted that long (lasted as in - they were still around/ not they were still any good).

You just have to clean house when it comes to the make-up bag. Your skin deserves it. Your skin is your largest organ and it's a membrane, not a shell. The stuff we put on our skin penetrates and enters our system. Throwing out old make-up really is a health - not just a hygiene - issue.

Also, don't I remember you writing in a recent post that you have sensitive skin? Hmmmmm. Throw it out. Posted Image


#Post 3 of 20 OFFLINE   Tinydancer

Tinydancer

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Joined 14-December 03
Reviews

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:11 AM

I keep my makeup until the bitter end. The only things that I'm a real stickler about is my mascara, I buy new mascara every 6 weeks or so. I also clean my brushes/sponges once a week if not more, depending what colors I'm using. Very rearly does my makeup turn rancid. Also, if I throw out any makeup *which is a very rare occasion* its because I didn't like it.
Kim


The cost of freedom is always high - but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender or submission. John F Kennedy

#Post 4 of 20 OFFLINE   Mz LaLa

Mz LaLa

    Novice

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 06-November 03
Reviews

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

The only thing I really follow the rules with is mascara. But by the time it needs to be thrown out anyways its almost always time to buy a new one anyway.

Everything else I keep. Unless it changes color, texture or starts to smell then in my eyes its okay Posted Image

#Post 5 of 20 OFFLINE   maiho

maiho

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 05-February 04
Reviews

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info. Great information. But one thing though, it said wash brushes every 2-3 months. Most make up artists suggest that u wash your brushes once a week or at least twice a month. 2-3 months seems like a very long time. It would just be nasty. As for me, i wash them at least once a week.



Originally Posted by xoxoKRISTINA
This is from my Bobby Brown Beauty book:

cream cleanser: 1 year
cream/moisturizer: 1 year
Foundation, oil based: 1.5 years
Foundation, water-based: 1 year
Gel cleanswer: 1 year
Lipstick: 1-2 years
Mascara: 3-4 months
Powder: 2 years
Shadows: 2 years
Brushes: wash every 2-3 months
Sponges: wash weekly and discard monthly

Toss anything that you've had for two years or longer.
Smell Everything. Toss anything that has a funny or musty odor.
Toss anything that's chipped, messy, or runny.
Throw out brushes that are falling apart and puffs and sponges that are dirty or falling apart.
Check to see if any liquids have separated. If so, dispose of them.
Throw out anything that you have not touched in the past six months - even the perfect red lipstick you've been saving. If you haven't found an occasion to wear it now, you probably won't ever.
Edit out any colors that are just plain ugly or garish.
Throw out any colors that are pasty or dull-looking.


#Post 6 of 20 OFFLINE   allisong

allisong

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
Reviews

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:53 AM

I hear ya TinyD..Unless the smell or texture has changed,I keep it forever..I have some shadows that are ancient yet still very usable..I do however replace my mascara every 3-4 months
Originally Posted by Tinydancer
I keep my makeup until the bitter end. The only things that I'm a real stickler about is my mascara, I buy new mascara every 6 weeks or so. I also clean my brushes/sponges once a week if not more, depending what colors I'm using. Very rearly does my makeup turn rancid. Also, if I throw out any makeup *which is a very rare occasion* its because I didn't like it.

Allison G
Makeup/Swap board Lover

#Post 7 of 20 OFFLINE   maiho

maiho

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 05-February 04
Reviews

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

Seems like everyone agree that eyeshadows are meant to be kept until its not usable anymore. Yah mascaras should be thrown away often. It's not worth the risk of using old mascara since they go very close to your eyes.
Originally Posted by allisong
I hear ya TinyD..Unless the smell or texture has changed,I keep it forever..I have some shadows that are ancient yet still very usable..I do however replace my mascara every 3-4 months


#Post 8 of 20 OFFLINE   allisong

allisong

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
Reviews

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:55 AM

A good tip given to me by my dermo.An ideal breeding ground for bacteria is a moist enviroment..So watch all your liquid items(mascara,lipgloss,lipstick,creme shadows etc)as these are the first to go.
Originally Posted by maiho
Seems like everyone agree that eyeshadows are meant to be kept until its not usable anymore. Yah mascaras should be thrown away often. It's not worth the risk of using old mascara since they go very close to your eyes.

Allison G
Makeup/Swap board Lover

#Post 9 of 20 OFFLINE   GR8FISCH

GR8FISCH

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 25-November 03
Reviews

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:29 PM

Oooohhh, this one... I have a couple of lipsticks from Lancome so long they no longer match the new shade with the same name...let's see, Brun Rose since 1994, Avon since 1998, Merle Norman since 1999, & that includes shadows; Garden Botanika blush & lip liners since 1994 also... I don't use color much compared to skincare... I've kept stuff covered, capped, bagged, cool &/or in the dark. Did give away lots of stuff I used to get when I worked in malls bec. I don't use it up in time. Fanie skincare have natural bactericidal ingredients & don't go bad even when they separate, in fact, Karie Hayden reminds me to always stir up the creams & shake the lotions before using to blend ingredients together & add some Misty Spray to thin them when they get too thick. Using powder foundation works best for me since I live in sunscreen. Tried all sorts of stick foundations, concealers & liquids... I break out too much from stuff I can't spell, pronounce or absorb. Neutrogena's SPF 45 Dry Touch works well & when I need more moisture due to forced a/c or heat I take a foundation or a concealer brush & mix Fanie's Orange or Dreme cream with #1 & #2 bare mineral powder in the palm of my hand & apply it with the brush, & blend from the center outward, patting in any lines with my fingers.

#Post 10 of 20 OFFLINE   candacecorey

candacecorey

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 08-February 04
Reviews

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

i agree with the information in Bobbi's book about the makeup EXCEPT the burhses. I feel that you need to clean them more often then she listed. I wash my brushes every night, but that is just because I use it on other people's faces most of the time. So even when I do my makeup I am in that habit. Here are some makeup maintenance tips that I use. I ususally use mild shampoo and sometimes I put a little conditioner on it to keep it pliable......if you have good brushes then they are made out of natural hair, and the conditioner keeps it flexible which will ensure better blending. Now about the mascara....you should dump it after 3 months OR if you have a cold. When you are sick your body dumps toxins out of your body through your tears too....and you can get it in your mascara. So if you dump it when you are sick you keep it from getting germs in your mascara that can cause you to get eith pink eye or an infection that can even cause you to loose your eye. With "powder products" like eyeshadow....you can enlongate it's life span by taking off the top layer with a tissue. Some makeup artists scrap the top of their powder products with a makeup spatula. I usually cut some of the lipstick off, and put in in a lipstick case and work from that, instead of the tube. But to lengthen the life of my lipstick (an keep germs at bay) I usually use a lipbrush, and get a good amount on my brush before I use it so I don't have to "double dip"....but then I occassionally spray my lipsticks with alcohol and wipe them "just in case". Candace Corey Makeup & Hair Artist www.candacecorey.com/makeupworkshop

#Post 11 of 20 OFFLINE   GR8FISCH

GR8FISCH

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 25-November 03
Reviews

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:35 PM

I agree about the brushes - I use Fanie's white oak bark gel cleanser or the sweet birch body cleanser for min, depending on how much makeup I've played with, 1x/week works for me. The same for shadows, lipsticks... your web site is most impressive.

#Post 12 of 20 OFFLINE   maiho

maiho

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 05-February 04
Reviews

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:54 PM

Candace, i got a question for you. Do you clean your brushes after each person you do make up for or just at the end of the day. Just curious. Posted Image



Originally Posted by candacecorey
i agree with the information in Bobbi's book about the makeup EXCEPT the burhses. I feel that you need to clean them more often then she listed. I wash my brushes every night, but that is just because I use it on other people's faces most of the time. So even when I do my makeup I am in that habit.

Here are some makeup maintenance tips that I use. I ususally use mild shampoo and sometimes I put a little conditioner on it to keep it pliable......if you have good brushes then they are made out of natural hair, and the conditioner keeps it flexible which will ensure better blending.

Now about the mascara....you should dump it after 3 months OR if you have a cold. When you are sick your body dumps toxins out of your body through your tears too....and you can get it in your mascara. So if you dump it when you are sick you keep it from getting germs in your mascara that can cause you to get eith pink eye or an infection that can even cause you to loose your eye.

With "powder products" like eyeshadow....you can enlongate it's life span by taking off the top layer with a tissue. Some makeup artists scrap the top of their powder products with a makeup spatula. I usually cut some of the lipstick off, and put in in a lipstick case and work from that, instead of the tube. But to lengthen the life of my lipstick (an keep germs at bay) I usually use a lipbrush, and get a good amount on my brush before I use it so I don't have to "double dip"....but then I occassionally spray my lipsticks with alcohol and wipe them "just in case".

Candace Corey
Makeup & Hair Artist
www.candacecorey.com/makeupworkshop


#Post 13 of 20 OFFLINE   candacecorey

candacecorey

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 08-February 04
Reviews

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:41 AM


I have 3 full sets of brushes plus additional extra brushes for like eyes and lips. It makes it easy to always have a clean brush when I'm doing a very busy project like a fashion shows and don't have a lot of time to stop and clean. When I am doing a photo shoot or TV show, I have more time to clean between people so I use a spray cleaner, but still go home and wash my brushes.

 

 

Originally Posted by maiho View Post

Candace, i got a question for you. Do you clean your brushes after each person you do make up for or just at the end of the day. Just curious.
 


 



#Post 14 of 20 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

    Queen of the Vampire Cats

  • Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,606 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews
  • Location:USA

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:35 AM



Originally Posted by Mz LaLa View Post

The only thing I really follow the rules with is mascara. But by the time it needs to be thrown out anyways its almost always time to buy a new one anyway.

Everything else I keep. Unless it changes color, texture or starts to smell then in my eyes its okay

 

Ditto! I was buying ELF mascaras ($1) but found myself throwing those out within a month so I stopped (waste of money) and went back to a my $3 mascara from Rimmel.

 

 
Originally Posted by xoxoKRISTINA
This is from my Bobby Brown Beauty book:

cream cleanser: 1 year
cream/moisturizer: 1 year
Foundation, oil based: 1.5 years
Foundation, water-based: 1 year
Gel cleanswer: 1 year
Lipstick: 1-2 years
Mascara: 3-4 months
Powder: 2 years
Shadows: 2 years
Brushes: wash every 2-3 months
Sponges: wash weekly and discard monthly

Toss anything that you've had for two years or longer.
Smell Everything. Toss anything that has a funny or musty odor.
Toss anything that's chipped, messy, or runny.
Throw out brushes that are falling apart and puffs and sponges that are dirty or falling apart.
Check to see if any liquids have separated. If so, dispose of them.
Throw out anything that you have not touched in the past six months - even the perfect red lipstick you've been saving. If you haven't found an occasion to wear it now, you probably won't ever.
Edit out any colors that are just plain ugly or garish.
Throw out any colors that are pasty or dull-looking.


Nail polishes can last years if kept in a cool, dark place. I have polishes that are still good from over 10 years ago. Unfortunately those polishes are not "Big 3 Free" so I don't use them but I've kept them to color match.

 

As for sponges, those can last a long time if properly cleaned - especially if you're using higher end ones. Wash daily and then wring out the water. Squeeze dry with a terry cloth then place in a bowl of alcohol. Let the clean sponges absorb the alcohol then wring out the excess alcohol and let dry then store in a zip-loc bag when dry. They keep for a very long time, dump when falling apart.

 



#Post 15 of 20 OFFLINE   gargamel

gargamel

    Trainee

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-August 11
Reviews

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

five minutes~



#Post 16 of 20 OFFLINE   kerasaki

kerasaki

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 20-March 08
Reviews

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Rules are nonsense to me. If it smells and looks fine, and has been used with caution (e.g. not with fingers, but clean brushes when it comes to eyeshadows), I'll use it. Mascaras don't last more than 6 months anyway, so you just know when it's time to get rid of them. Foundations also can't last more than a year, and it's only normal. They start getting smelly and not blend well if they're too old.

 

But eyeshadows and lipsticks... two years? Give me a break. I have so many I can't possibly finish them in two years. I've thrown away old shadows because they just didn't work that well anymore (they had lost their pigment), but I've had some MAC shadows for more than two years and they work perfectly! I would be crazy to throw them away just because of a rule that is just too general to apply to all kinds of textures or brands. Same goes with lipsticks.



#Post 17 of 20 OFFLINE   korbinsgirl19

korbinsgirl19

    Trainee

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-September 11
Reviews

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

my mom has some Avon makeup that is 15 years old and it still good, and she still uses it. and my mom has Mary Kay that is 35 years old and it is brand new in original packaging



#Post 18 of 20 OFFLINE   13Bluestar97

13Bluestar97

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Joined 14-July 11
Reviews

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

You can keep unopened mascaras fresh by keeping them in the fridge/freezer to stop bacteria growth. If it works on food, it works for mascara. However you do have to thaw them ;)



#Post 19 of 20 OFFLINE   musingmuse

musingmuse

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 21-March 11
Reviews

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Until it stops working, smells bad, changes color, molding, irritates your eyes, etc.

 

Some of my makeup has expiration dates. I think for eyeshadows... until 2014... so between 3-4 years.

 

I am most worried about eyeliners and mascara  - they can irritate my eyes...a few times I ended up with a pink eye.

 

ALTHOUGH, I used one eyeliner for 8 years. it's still working and doesn't irritate my eye too much.

 



#Post 20 of 20 OFFLINE   sammiebz

sammiebz

    Novice

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 02-May 11
Reviews

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

I have soooooooooooo many eye shadows and have spent so much money on them , i couldn't throw them away just because someone said so! lol I don't use all of them but I love having different eye shadows laying around... The only things I probably do throw out are the usuals like foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliners... i don't wear lipstick so i hardly have any of those...


You are beautiful inside and out!

Beauty Collection - Wordpress

Beauty Collection - Facebook