Dry or wet eyeshadow

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the difference does it make if you apply your e/s dry or wet? can someone explain?

thanks Nic

The difference is, when the e/s is wet, the color turns out stronger and it stays on longer as well, as opposed to when its dry :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree when I apply my Piggies wet they last so much longer and the colour is way more intense

When you apply eye shadow wet then the colour is much brighter and richer. They also last longer on your lid.

oh ok i get it now, thankyou ladies..next question as it is applied wet, is it harder to blend? also how do you apply it wet..what with?

Nic

It is harder to blend because what water or any other liquid will do to the e/s is make it more compact, so trying to blend it will be harder.
You can apply wet e/s with a makeup applicator like this one:
( it will make it easier as the ones that have hair on them won't retain liquids as well as these, but you can try both brush or applicator) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
applicator.jpg

Ditto to all the above. I also find that applying eyeshadow wet allows for more precision, such as when I'm using it as a liner or doing some sort of design on my eye.

you can wet your brush. never wet your e/s ! the e/s goes smoother on the lid, and the color is stronger.

you can also use an eyeliner brush, wet it, and your e/s becomes eyeliner !

I find that the shimmery eyeshadows seem more metallic as well. I just wet my brush with tap water and then squeeze a bit to get the excess water off and it turns out fine.

All it is, is that when it is wet it is a stronger and when it is dry it is not as strong and sometimes wet acctully last longer.

Ditto - i do this with glittery shadows/pigments to give me more control - I have a little bottle of body shop vitamin e spray and I just sprizt my brush!

Okay, here's how I do it.

I run my eyeshadow brush under the cold tap in the bathroom to get it wet. I then squeeze it between my fingers from base to tip to remove excess water. Then, I just use it on the eyeshadow the same way I would as if I were using it dry. After doing one eye, I wet the brush again so doing the second one it looks even.

You get a much more intense, sharp application -- stronger colour, sharper edges plus it lasts longer. To soften it, you can just blend as normal afterwards. You don't have to though, and the only way you'll get a really graphic look with powder shadow is to use it this way.

A word of warning here: some cheap eyeshadows really don't work well wet. Anything decent will go on well this way though, as will loose powder colours. Definitely try powder shadows wet as eyeliners, especially for lining under the lower lashes.

Blending is a little harder when the eye shadow is wet but I think the extra effort is worth it for the effect you get.

It's still easy to do though, once the shadow has dried on, it just takes a little more pressure.

Latest posts

Back