No fail truth

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been here for about a year, and I am always trying to get help with how to get my hair healthy and growing. I have tried so many different things, that I don't know what has helped or what has hindered. So I would love it if you gals could give me the tried and true method you have used to get the hair to grow and stay that way.Mine never grows, and just looks so dead and thin on the ends. It is just above my shoulder, with varying thin lengths. I just want to do the best thing. I know I have to give up the heat, which I am really working on that. Thanks, I love you all for all your support. I am gettting so depressed about this.

I've stated over and over in numerous threads what helped my hair: Quit coloring, quit using heating tools, and using Healthy Sexy Hair. Regular trims every 4-6 weeks, or even every 8 weeks helps a lot too.

Deep conditioning has helped. I like Loreal's nature's therapy. Now If I could just remember to use it on a more regular basis. I just started using Healthy Sexy Hair shampoo and conditioner and the dry itcky ends I have from coloring that I'm trying to grow out aren't as dry and straw-like like they were before. I haven't had a good run with salon shampoos and conditioners, but I'm glad I gave in on this one.

If you have to use heat then make sure you're using a good heat protectant.

Definetely trim you hair often...dont comb it when its wet...lessen up on the heat styling...and DO use a good deep conditioner 2 or 3 times a week,,,it really really helps!!

Be careful with conditioning. When I bleached my hair to an inch of it's life I went of a conditioning and protein binge. I ended up overconditioning my hair. I'm wondering if it's just that I'm a curly that my hair has a delicate balance between conditioned, not conditioned enough, and overconditioned.

It's ok to comb your hair when its wet but it needs to be with a wide tooth comb. Definitely don't comb with regular combs or with a brush when it's wet.

I dont use a any heat on my hair except my bangs. I shouldnt had them cut otherwise I wouldnt have to worry about them right now and I could let em air dry straight instead of straightening them myself. I always always air dry my hair. Like I said the only heat I use is a straightener on my bangs and I wish I didnt have to.

See that is the thing, I never know when to add protein and maybe if I add to much it gets drier.I never know if I have put too many moisturizing treatments on my hair and maybe making it look too flat. How did you know your were overconditoning?

Learn to identify the cones, and stop using any shampoo or conditioner that has cones in its ingredient list. Only allow cones in your styling product (if you must use them). This can help moisture get to your hair.

Do not use shampoos that have sodium lauryl sulfate in them. Even for me, ammonium lauryl sulfate is too drying for my hair and scalp. Put aloe vera through your hair as soon as you turn the showerhead off, and while it is still sopping wet.

The deep conditioning treatment is a good idea. You can buy all kinds nowadays: those that you slather into your hair and shampoo out, or those that you slap on and use under a heated bonnet.

What hair products do you have around the house that you are currently using on your hair?

Also, ITA with the others, stop heat styling. Don't even blow-dry your hair - you will see start to see a difference, and do not color or perm it.

The things I do to keep my hair healthy and help it grow long are: Not to wash too much,try to use a gentle Shampoo most of the time (no sulfates, I only use a sulfate containing shampoo once a month for clarifying), not heat styling (except rare occasions), not touching hair too much, no silicones in my products, good conditioner and I take vitamins that have literally doubled the speed at which my hair grows.

Since the end August I have been taking:

1 Women's One a day

1 500 mg tablet of Silica

1 1000 mg tablet of MSM (apparently increases the length hair will grow to)

1 500 mg Evening Primrose oil softgel capsule

1 500 mg FlaxSeed Oil softgel capsule

2 600 mcg Biotin tablets

2 GNC NourishHair Tablets or GNC Hair, skin and nails tablets

I also take Opti-Zinc for my skin

HTH!

I got this list originally from a post on the long hair website and tweaked it to my liking! Oh, and I did check with my Dr., he says none of these vitamins will harm me even altogether! ~~jax

wow, what a list. I will go get the silica, msm and primrose. I take fish oil, would that be just as good as flaxsee oil, or should I take both. Also I am taking a vitamin from gnc called purvana, which the guy said was even better than the nourishair. So I should take a multi on top of the hair vits? I figured if I took that , I shouldn't take a multi, since they have some of the same things in them. I also take loads of biotin. What is opti-zinc, and where can I get it? Oh ,and the purvana has the msm in it but only200 mg. Is that not enough I guess? I always was afraid to take to much vits, I wasn't sure if they were safe in large quantities. Do you just get most of your stuff at walmart or do you order them?

Learn to identify the cones, and stop using any shampoo or conditioner that has cones in its ingredient list. Only allow cones in your styling product (if you must use them). This can help moisture get to your hair.
Do not use shampoos that have sodium lauryl sulfate in them. Even for me, ammonium lauryl sulfate is too drying for my hair and scalp. Put aloe vera through your hair as soon as you turn the showerhead off, and while it is still sopping wet.

The deep conditioning treatment is a good idea. You can buy all kinds nowadays: those that you slather into your hair and shampoo out, or those that you slap on and use under a heated bonnet.

What hair products do you have around the house that you are currently using on your hair?

I just started using a generic version of paul mithcell tea tree shampoo, and using sleekline deep conditioner on my ends. I am so confused about the cone thing. Even the expensive products I buy at the salons have them in there. I don't know what to do. Some people think that the cones actually help your hair keep moisture locked in the hair.

I never heard of the purvana, I'll have to look into that. I think that the fish oil should be fine since it's an omega fatty acid. I take the multtivitmin too because it just has good vitamins that sometimes in the pills specifically targeting hair/nails and such.

Just to add, you were asking ?'s about products with cones in them. Do you have straight or wavy/curly hair? I know some good products for the latter.

~~jax

If you have thin, fine hair consider doing the following (as per Paula Begoun)

1) consider a shorter cut with layers

2) avoid any styling products as they only way hair down

3) consider not using any conditioner as it can way hair down

4) the less you touch your hair the better

Following these rules will keep oiliness at bay and your hair won't appear as thin/fine

I have another suggestion - look at men's hair.

Men have beautiful hair because they don't damage (or put unneccessary junk) in their hair.

I think Aquilah is giving great advice.

Hair is always growing, however you may not be retaining any length because the ends are breaking off faster than the hair is growing.

I just noticed that you said your hair is a little above your shoulders with thin ends. When growing hair to longer lengths, shoulder length typically is the hardest to pass because the ends of the hair are constantly breaking because they are rubbing against the collars of your tops. The best way to get your hair past this stage is to protect the ends by bunning or pinning it up.

I would recommend doing some deep conditioning and then lightly oiling the ends. Then put your hair in a bun. If you don't like the idea of bunning, at least put the hair up with a claw clip, making sure the ends aren't exposed.

what does the primrose oil do for the hair? Also would you mind telling me what long hair website you found this info on? Do you think I should take all of these. I bought the primrose oil, the silica and the msm today. I already take fish oil, a hair vitamin, kelp, biotin. Then at night I take a calcium and magnesium supplement. I am just afraid of taking too much stuff.

so true.

the only heavy thing i put on my hair is oil or shea butter, and i rinse both thoroughly. i also advise you to use some hair protector during summer, because i noticed my scalp can burn easily if i don't do so (and it looks gross).

and yeah, quit using heating tools help a lot.

The only tried and true thing that works for my hair (thick wavy/curly hair) is using essentials oils on it. I bought some avocado oil, and before I shower, I rub some into my hair. I let it sit for a bit, then hop in the shower and wash it out. It is THE best conditioner I have ever used. My hair gets so soft and shiny. My hairstylist told me that coconut oil is the best for your hair. I am going to be trying that soon also!

Back