Clinique Stay True foundation (and my nightmare makeover!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still on my hunt for the perfect foundation and my gosh I think I've found it at long last!! Think I may even tell Revlon to stick their foundations up their behind lol!

I went to Clinique today and got colour matched for this foundation in Stay Nude (NC25/LLL). The SA asked if I wanted to try the foundation on my whole face so I thought yeah why not - huge mistake!! I dont know what the SA's are like in other countries when testing out make up on people but over here they are atrocious!!

I told her I had oily skin so she removed my make up - with an oil based cleansing lotion!! Then she proceeded to put moisturiser over my already greasy face. She asked if I used a foundation brush or fingers to apply foundation and I told her my fingers because I found that foundation brushes applied foundation streaky. She looked at me with a puzzled look and said that they had to use foundation brushes for hygiene reasons, absolutely fair enough, I couldnt argue with that.

Anyway, she tickled the foundation loaded brush over my face and when she handed me the mirror to have a look to see if I liked the colour there were streaky lines of foundation ALL over my face, albeit the colour was good but I had to sit blending it in for about 15 minutes lol.

Then she 'set' it with powder, or should I say rubbed a powder brush over my face with hardly any powder on and smudged the foundation all over the oily mess that was my face. To finish off this horrifying mess, she applied a plummy blusher to my cheeks. :rotfl:

I ended up buying some make up wipes and when I got back to work I reapplied my make up (thank God I'd brough some bronzer and concealer with me to work today!!).

I applied the foundation in a slap dab sort of way quickly rubbing it in to my face (which is of course not how I would do it at home :laughing: ) and set it with powder, although it dried and set really quickly. Then I applied my bronzer and under eye concealer and WOW!!!! I looked picture perfect. It's not heavy or cakey, the colour match is spot on and my skin looks perfect. It's controlled oil wayyyy better than the Colourstay softflex too!

I'm going to write a full review but if you can get a colour match for this then go for it!! It is expensive £17.50 but you don't need much product so I bet it will last for a few months

Oh you poor girl!!

At least you're happy with the product tho!

Hey, maybe you should go back and give her a few lessons and save some other unfortunate people from future nightmare makeovers!! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL

Ha ha!!! OMG she was horrendous but then I should've guessed from the huge orange tide mark around her chin LOL!!! ***ROFL***

Are you NC25 in MAC? I would like to try this foundation and i'm NC25 Mac. Thanks for any help!! Sorry it was sooo bad, but at least you were able to fix it. I went to Clinique was color matched for a foundation and that girl also had the orange ring. She gave me a foundation that was no where near matching. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so I walk out with 2 different color foundation Streaks down my face and chin because she just tried streaks and didn't give me anything to take it off with.

Gettin a color match from a person who's foundaton doesn't match . . . isn't that a bit like getting a speaking lesson from Sylvester Stallone? lol! :lol:

LOL! I know what you mean. I kind of hate it because she is the Only girl who works that counter. It doesn't matter if it's 8am or 8pm she's always there. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think next time I'm gonna try to match myself.

Lmao. That was a good one. I was chocking on my cereal reading this.

At least it ended happily for you.

yes I'm NC25 in MAC and I've got the shade Stay Nude...I love it! Although from your picture you look like you have pink undertones??

Actually I'm not sure what my undertones are. I have asked several people at the counters and none know. I do have Rosacea so that is maybe why I looked pink. I'll have to post a pic. without foundation. Just overlook the circles and redness. LOL

the best way to tell is to look at your veins on your wrist. If they are more green then you have warm undertones (making you NC = Not Cool) ) and if they are more blue then you have cool undertones (making you NW = Not Warm).

I'm gonna try this pic. I seem to have both veins but I'd say more Green than blue. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
mypicture.jpg

Yeah I'd say you were were NC or 'warm' toned....unfortunately we have the hardest job finding a foundation match lol!

I used to use Revlon colourstay in Buff but now they've changed the line none of their colours are really yellow based any more, more neutral or pink.

I got Stay True in the shade Stay Nude. I also wear Sand in Bobbi Brown's foundations and Sand in Estee Lauder Double Wear (but I have good skin so it's a bit too heavy for me - is a godsend for that picture perfect look though!)

Yeah I wear Estee Lauder Double wear now, but the girl matched me up with Ecru. The only thing is i'm not convinced it is correct! Also yesterday I went to Big Lots and found the original Revlon Colorstay I picked up Buff Chamois and it looks pretty good. I tried the new one with Soft flex, but I didn't like it so I returned it. I'm waiting for my Mac SFF Right now. It should be here anytime. I have to buy it online because there is no Store here. I'll be so glad to see the UPS Guy. Do you like the coverage of Mac? Also the Clinique isn't Cakey is it??

No I didnt like the SFF - i found it came off my skin at the slightest touch and the coverage was pretty cakey but then some of the girls here love the SFF so I think it's what you prefer in a foundation that counts.

No the clinique isnt cakey at all, and i didnt even use moisturiser underneath it. I've had it on nearly 6 hours now and hardly a bit of shinte has broken through! I'm loving it!

Vanessa, I've been away from MuT for almost a year so maybe my memory is bad . . . but are you the girl who really likes blush and has alot of them? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorry if I'm getting you mixed up, I'm going on a year old memory of a thread someone posted :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm glad it works for you!

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but oil breaks down oil, so the fact she washed you with an oil-based lotion is good, isn't it?

Oh my that was a makeover from hell! The ladies at the Clinique counter that I've been to are so nice and know how to do makeup so great. They always give me tons of samples even when I don't buy anything, hehe. Well, I did try this foundation, and I loved it but after a few months I started braking out a lot and coulden't wear it anymore, not because the foundation was causing it, but acne and liquid foundation don't go very well together. Oh well, I hope I can go back to it because the match was great and it wasen't heavy at all.

That's a hilarious story!! :add_wegbrech: :rotfl:

I'm going to check out this foundation! I really like the coverage and consistency of Clinique foundations but I never found the right shade with Superbalanced and Superfit. I'm either an NC 20 or NC 25.

Thanks for letting us know!

I'm glad you found a color match! I'm sorry to hear that the SA was such an ignoramus though. Have fun with your new foundation!

Back