Color types - winter, autumn, spring, summer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you look upon the theory that only shades and colors that suit certain type, suit you best and if picked wrong they make you look boirng, sick,...?

According to this, I am very strong winter type. And it's true that bronzers don't suit my skin color at all, also any kind of copper and such shades.

What do you think about this theory - do you find it true or wrong on your own example?

lol! I haven't heard anyone use the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall thing for describing skintones in a long time!

I've literally had ladies at makeup counters arguing with each other whether I was a Spring or Fall. lol.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just wear whatever you like and whatever you think looks good on you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm supposedly a Spring, which is supposedly the least common colour season. And it's true, the so-called Spring colours suit me well. We do well in warm brights!

I'm a winter, too. The season color theory (it's from a book called "Color Me Beautiful" by Carol Jackson) is awesome. Everything in my closet looks great on me, because it's all winter colors.

I look good in blue and cool greens, apparently I'm a summer? Or maybe it was spring, I can't remember.

Anyway, in spite of this, I wear clothes in red, black, white, purple... anything really, except for yellow and orange which makes me look like a corpse.

On my eyes, browns, greens and pinks look good I think. That's what I've tried so far anyway!

Originally there were just 4 seasons

Winter - Cool and Clear

Spring - Warm and Clear

Summer - Cool and Muted

Autumn - Warm and Muted

Then someone expanded that into 12 categories that included hybrids and gradations of the "true" seasons. You can see this theory on http://www.colormeaseason.com .

I think there are (at least) three factors to consider:

Warm vs. Cool

Clear vs. Muted

High Contrast vs. Low Contrast

The contrast level comes from your own coloring - the degree of light to dark contrast between skin and hair color.

I talk about this quite alot over at the aromaleigh forum - you can find it there if you like :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But I always maintain that generally we are drawn to colors that suit us or fill a need, and that we should wear what we like, since dresing and making up should primarily please ourselves and be a self expression of who we are, who we want to be and how we are feeling, or would like to feel. I really don't like absolutes - never wear red, avoid black near the face, grey makes you look unathoritative, whatever. I'm real big on personal expression.

And about that bronzer thing - I was in Target the other day looking at clearanced makeup. L'Oreal True Match liquid bronzers were clearanced, and they had warm, neutral and cool liquid bronzers. The warm ones were the peacy/coppery tones, the cool bronzers had almost a plum/rose cast to them and were super pretty. The neutral was pretty, too. So maybe it's not ALL bronzers are not right for you, just that the warm, orangey coppery toned ones that we usually see don't suit you.

Or it could just be that the high contrast between your skin and hair is more pleasing to you than deepening the skintone and lowering the contrast.

Again, the point isn't to always avoid bronzers, but rather to decide if you want a more muted look, and then search for a bronzer with those rosier tones so it harmonizes with your skin better.

just my .02.

Co-sign. Even though I look best in Winter colors, I still wear summers browns and golds. I need vibrant color, muted colors don't work well on me.

i'm a winter and find that most of the colors i like. others i don't care for

:iagree: with stereoxgirl

wear what you like

This has always been confusing for me, according to the book with my strawberry blonde hair im either a fall or a spring. But evertime I go to cosmetics counters and get colortyped they say my skin is cool!! and warm toned makeup makes me look dead. and my hair isnt dyed, So I agree with stereogirl, wear what looks good and dont be too concerned with the seasons.

:kopfkratz: i'm between summer and autumn. i don't really care, i just wear what i want and like.

Ugh - the whole "if you have reddish hair you HAVE to be warm" thing just drives me nuts! LOTS of people with reddish tones to their hair have cool/pink undertone skin! As in all things, there are degrees of reddish tones ranging from cool plum to rosey pinky to orange to russet and brown.

For me the worst thing I ever read by a coor consultant was something to the effect that NOBODY should ever wear orange, because it makes the skin look pale. She went on to explain that this is why redheads always look pale - because red hair is really orangey, and it just sucks the life out of the skin. I had major probs with that because firstly I'm a redhed, so is my mom. I look pale because I AM pale. And I LOVE to wear orange tones, from burnt orange and saffron to hot intense coral and everything in between - just no pastel peach please. AND i always get compliments when I wear those colors.

DO NOT get super hung up on the whole seasonality thing. Also dont' feel that just 'cause your skintone has some yellow to it, that you need to wear ONLY yellow-based color cosmetics, or that if it has more pink to it, then ONLY tones with red in them. For the easiest harmony, sure those colors blend well. But beauty isn't always about blending well - sometimes contrast and drama is wanted, or even needed.

Play - where what you like!

-the always pale girl with orange hair

I've been color printed by two different people. First time I was a Spring and the second an Autumn. I think I'm a Spring because most of the colors I wear that get compliments come from the Spring palette. Autumn greens and teals look great with my red hair and PPP skin.

Warm foundations and powders turn orange on me, so I need to wear cool, slightly pink foundations to avoid this. All other makeup looks best in warm colors like brown, peach, apricot, etc.... Something like gray e/s makes me look haggard.

It's funny...but I was going through some boxes of old books we have in our house, and I came across my mom's ancient copy of Colour Me Beautiful. I was flipping through it, and looking at the advise they give on colours. It was very amusing! I was wondering if people still pay attention to this or not.

I think it's good to know what colours just make you look fantastic...but I think if you know what you are doing, you can make almost any colour work for you. You might just need a different shade or tone. There are no rules in makeup. Every notice how they change constantly anyway? When I began training in makeup artistry, I started a list of all the rules about colours for different people. What shocked me was the inconsistencies out there. Every book I read, and every person I talked to, had something different to say. It was very overwhelming.

I say...try everything! If it looks good...then go for it! That's how trends get started anyway. You experiment and do something a little different from the rest, and people take notice.

This is confusing as all get-out for me! I look best in reds - all shades, especially the deep reds, deep pinks, and bright colors. I look the worst in orange, seafoam green, pastel yellow, and peach. I don't have any idea what shade I am but I just like color!

never heard of those before, lol!

I "think" I fall under the striking spring category, but I just use the colors I want.

This is so confusing! I just avoid corals and orangey reds. haha thats as far as I go.

Back