What Makes a Good Sales Associate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a sales associate in the cosmetics department at Neiman Marcus. I'm curious of what you gals consider a good sales associate? Excellent product knowledge, lots of "free gifts", regular phone calls about events, etc...What makes you ask for the same SA over and over again?

When they are genuine and interested in your opinion and ideas...someone that is really helpful and not pushy at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> When they offer you free samples so you know whether you like it before you decide to buy it or not

someone who is nice friendly and most important honest... i dont care about freebies or if she doesnt have much knowledge in the produts..

the reason i say this is i dont like for them to lie and say something looks good on me when it doesnt, then gets an attitude when i return it later

and the mac free standing store in my town has a habit of bait and switch which i feel is being dishonest.

I like someone who isn't being pushy. I know that people have to sell a certain amount of product, but when I go to a place for one product, and suddenly I am being shown 5 other things that I have zero interest in, it just makes me want to escape that counter!

Someone polite who knows about the product and won't make it seem like the best thing ever if it's really not that great.

Someone who is genuinely interested in helping you, without being too pushy. There are some people at one of the MAC counters here that don't really seem bothered. For example, you say you're looking for a dark brown e/s, and the SA takes you to the e/s stand and say "well, we have these" and then give you no advice whatsoever.

Then there are some that really want to help you, that tell you what they think would look good on you. Those are the ones that get all my money :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

to me,you'll be the best if you let me look around w/o bothering me and giving me ideas unless asked!

that's it.

at work, i sell a lot when i show i know about what i'm talking about, i'm nice and friendly, i give honest opinions (it's easy when we've got tons of brands and i can actually sell something that'll work), and i remember faces. when they come back, i always ask how so and so worked out for them.

I really would like someone who has good people skills and has a genuine interest in helping, not just pushing products. Often I am looking for a certain thing, and I don't have time to browse all the other things. Often I have done my own homework and don't need to be shown other things unless I ask to be.

The same qualities everyone else has mentioned.

Be attentive, but give the customer time and space. Treat each customer individually.

Thanks everyone. I just had to ask as there is a woman I work with who has quite a following. However, I have witnessed her being outright rude to her customers, like saying "I'm sorry, but because you didn't come in when I told you so I won't have any time for you...(something to that effect) or

" I work on commission, so I won't be able to help you if all you want to do is play around with eye shadows". If someone comes in and doesn't ask for her she refuses to wait on them again. Sort of as if she's punishing them for not asking for her. Quite frankly, I think some of her customers are intimidated by her.

Ahhh! That's so horrible! I guess all her devoted customers are actually masochists:rotfl: But anyway I encouurage my clients to play around with the products. they might bump into something they normally would not have chosen and bam! You've got a sale.

That's exactly how I feel, if I say I'm just looking please do not follow me around and ask me questions. If I need help I'll ask. I have now made it a habit to go before or after I work out when I'm grubbed out that way they think I'm poor.

like many people said, someone who is not pushy.

-someone who asks me if i need help when I get right into the store

-someone who is super helpful and know alot about the products

-someone who does not recommend products that only they like...but a wide variety of products that may fit my preference and my skin tone

- someone who also is super nice, makes jokes and who you just have a good overall fun with while youre out at the makeup counter

Latest posts

Back