-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Average cost of hemming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jennifer

Jennifer

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

i need to get a lot of my pants hemmed (average is too short and long is too long :bs:) and i've never done it before, so i'm not sure how much it costs. my town is very expensive with everything, so i'm afraid i'll get charged too much. that's why i wanna make sure. thanks :)

#Post 2 of 11 OFFLINE   brewgrl

brewgrl

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Joined 29-March 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

a simple hem should cost you $20 at a mall alterations shop, maybe even a little less at the local drycleaners- but only trust the dry cleaner to do a good job if they do a great job drycleaning your clothes... if it's someone you end up going to a lot, then they should start cutting you a break. I am a shorty, so I have to get EVERYTHIG hemmed. I used to do it all myself, but it's just easier nowadays to have someone else do them, plus I can usually drop them off in the morning and have them by lunch.

#Post 3 of 11 OFFLINE   pinksugar

pinksugar

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

wow! that is so expensive compared to some of the places I've seen here. Where I come from, it's probably anywhere between $8 and $30 if I'm honest. My mum does it for family friends, but she just charges people what she thinks they can pay. I know this makes me sound like someone's mum but it's really not that hard to learn to do yourself, and it works out SO much cheaper that way. That being said, I just get my mum to do it, so don't listen to me! :laughs:

#Post 4 of 11 OFFLINE   brewgrl

brewgrl

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Joined 29-March 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

It is true- cheaper to do it yourself. BUT there is the opportunity cost. That's why I have had to start going to a tailor. I don't have the time anymore. When I was younger, sure, but nowadays, that is all valuable time I am not wasting by doing it myself. It's all about what you are willing to spend- your money or your time.

#Post 5 of 11 OFFLINE   SimplyElegant

SimplyElegant

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • Joined 25-July 06

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

Here it's $6 Canadian. I've seen it as high as $9 here.

#Post 6 of 11 OFFLINE   SherryAnn

SherryAnn

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Joined 11-January 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Too bad you don't live near me or I would do it for you for free!!!!! It is very easy to do. I would even suggest that you get a pair of inexpensive pants at the thrift store (even kid pants would work) and a needle, thread, and scissors and try it! That is a tutorial I should post, isn't it? LOL

#Post 7 of 11 OFFLINE   brewgrl

brewgrl

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Joined 29-March 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

i live in a very overpriced town i see, hehehe

#Post 8 of 11 OFFLINE   Ashley

Ashley

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Joined 13-February 07

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

I can't do anything myself! Plus I like how they can use the original hem of my jeans so it looks normal..I'm pretty sure I can't even thread a needle.

#Post 9 of 11 OFFLINE   han

han

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

i would think around $8-20

#Post 10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jennifer

Jennifer

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

thanks for the replies! $20?!?!?! i was thinking $10!

#Post 11 of 11 OFFLINE   pinkbundles

pinkbundles

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,510 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

A normal hem costs about $7. A jean hem (it looks as if it was never hemmed is about $14). And a cuff hem is almost $20. And it depends on what store you go to. If you go to the ones at the mall, it will be expensive. If you go to the drycleaners (usually they offer hemming services), it's a little bit cheaper.
Everything happens for a reason...