How to make shiny eyeshadow look?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can make my eyeshadow have that patent shiny look? I saw it on beyonce in black eyeshadow during one of her performances at the oscars or grammys or one of those big shows. Any ideas how to do that?

I know urban decay recently came out with a product that claims to do that, but i tried it in a store and it didn't really work.

Welcome! I'm reading some of their other threads and it's pretty interesting!

Ditto Vaseline - Petroleum Jelly is the answer. Kevyn Aucoin talks about it in Face Foward. The only problem is that is creases quickly and doesn't last long. Good luck though!

it looks cool but definately doesnt seem managable for anything other than a photo

hmmm....I wish there was a way to make it last without creasing! At least for a night out

Nope, sorry. I just found it today when I was searching for a shiny eyeshadow look for cuteirka. Anyway, I was reading through their threads, it's interesting but the people don't seem as nice as the people on MUT.

yea a look like this would be pretty hard to maintain all night, let's be realistic here, it's going to crease up and this type of makeup effect are generally used in like photo shoots, and they touch up all the time, try vaseline or MAC gloss

M·A·C Cosmetics | Clear Gloss

POUT EYE SLICK & URBAN DECAY AMMO PALLETTE!!!

Polyester Bride as your top lid color, Oil Sick for your lid... then mix a little bit more Oil Slick with some Pout Eyeslick in Indrani.

there you go! and it does crease a little, but it's pretty black so it's not too noticeable.

To get that look I have mixed pigments or shadows with vaseline. It looks really hot, but it doesn't wear well. I think glossy eyes are best for photo's and not practical for everyday. Even the products by Lancome, MAC and UD crease really badly and end up all over your face...

I don't understand how people can say vaseline? I use it as a eye makeup remover. It takes my e/l, e/s and mascara off in a snap.

This definitely achieves the look. I bought a tube and tried it on a friend. I'm not so sure I would go out with it on though. :scared:

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

It would be nice to find a way that wouldnt smudge or crease though, its a gorgeous effect.

Hi,

But that's exactly what it is as I've done it on a model before. It's really a beautiful effect for photoshoots only. To be honest, I don't like doing it really as it's not good to keep petroleum jelly on your eyelid for a long time.

Hi,

It's a website for pro makeup artists, photogs, models, fashion and hair stylists. I've been a member over there for a few months now.

Back