Getting a job at MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much experience is necessary?

I've been told contradictory things, that you need a portfolio, that an art degree or cosmetic training is necessary or very encouraged, that working at another makeup counter for 6 months is preferable. And yet I have known people who to my knowledge had none of the above. So what is the deal, how much training, and what kind of training do you need to snag a job (because sometimes I can't help feeling that I know more than half of the workers at the store/counter)?

i used to get my makeup done all the time at MAC and asked one of the girls. now she works at a MAC inside a department store, not a MAC store so the rules may be different. she said the manager interviewed her by having her do a face. she brought a friend to the interview and the manager watched the way she applied makeup and took notes. she said she didn't have any formal experience but she was good at applying makeup. i believe they have to do 2 paper faces (sketch/draw) a day and there may be some classes after they are hired.

i've also spoke to the guys at the MAC store within the mall but they didn't give much info except about the MAC professional stores. they said that it is much more difficult to get a job at one of the professional stores but they did not give details. she said at the professional stores they did makeup for celebrities and what not and there wasn't many professional stores around the country.

i've never worked at mac but these are the opinions of the reps that have. if i were you i would call around to the different stores in your area to get details. good luck.

I've heard that they will usually hire you as a freelance to fill in when they need extra people & then if they like you & have an opening they'll hire you on as a MAC employee. I haven't really heard of any requirements other than being good with makeup.

its not just about the makeup experience, you usually need some retail experience also.

i think you need some experience in a store, and good skills in makeup. i don't think a portfolio is a must, but surely is a great help. i know you'll probably be asked to put makeup on someone in a limited amount of time.

Latest posts

Back