Best mascara for sensitive eyes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have super sensitive eyes and haven't been able to find a mascara that doesn't make my eyes burn and itch. I have tried Mabeline Great lash, Cover girl Lash Exact, Almay (I can't remeber which one). All have said that they were appropriate for sensitive eyes, but none have worked. Does anyone know of other btands of mascara I could try, and what ingredients, that cause sensitivity, that I should watch out for?

Thanks!
laughing.gif

Clinique is great for sensitive eyes, all their mascara formulas. Sorry, don't know what ingredients you should specifically "watch out" for, but I'm guessing that Clinique doesn't contain them

Its just the mascara that makes you itch/water?

I have bad allergies and I stopped putting eyeliner on but keep the mascara since its not really touchin the inner lids, or seeps into my eye.

For me too its the mascara that makes my eyes react. I've noticed that I have to get the simplest formulas- none that say lengthening, volumizing, or waterproof even. I wanted to try a colored mascara last week so I bought YSL in burgundy. I wore it once for my husbands get together and I was definitely the talk of his meet-up. My right eye looked like I had pink eye. It was such a pretty color too. I even tried Clinique and I reacted to even that brand. I notice that I have been able to use Bourjois- but lots of gals dont like this brand. and oddly enough I can use MAC X- I justy went to the SA and asked for the gentlest formula. I've never been able to use drugstore brand- even the hypoallergenic formula is no good. Keep in mind tho that everyone is different in what they react to. So go to the counters and try the stuff on before you buy. And dont forget the Visine
wink.gif

I have sensitive eyes (due to contact lenses) and have been able to use Max Factor Lash Perfection and DiorShow with no problems at all.

I use Prescriptives mascara now, because I am allergic to all mascaras pretty much. Before finding this one though, I used a mascara wand with styling gel on it (let dry and add another coat) and that worked better than any mascara ever did.

i have sensitive eyes (they've become more sensitive when i got contacts too) and clinique long pretty lashes is great.

Originally Posted by SewAmazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use Prescriptives mascara now, because I am allergic to all mascaras pretty much. Before finding this one though, I used a mascara wand with styling gel on it (let dry and add another coat) and that worked better than any mascara ever did. That is a great idea! What part of Philadelphia are you from? I am from the North East but I live in Louisiana now.

I have sensitive eyes and wear contact lenses and I can wear Lancome Definicil mascara. I can't wear MAC. It makes my eyes itch within hours.

Thanks for all of the replies, I did some research and found that L'Oreal Lash Out was Allergy Tested, and Fragarance free (they also claim that it doesn't flake) so we'll see. I bough a tube of it on my way home from work, so I'll be trying it out tommorow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Maybe you can just use false eyelashes instead?? Maybe that wouldnt irratate you and after you get the hang of it its as easy as applying mascara if not easier, and with a good glue you dont have to worry at all about them falling out, Ive worn mine through rain wind snow, photoshoots, 15 or more hours straight and they dont go nowhere.

Originally Posted by SewAmazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use Prescriptives mascara now, because I am allergic to all mascaras pretty much. Before finding this one though, I used a mascara wand with styling gel on it (let dry and add another coat) and that worked better than any mascara ever did. i agree... Prescriptives mascara is great

Hello, I have VERY sensitive eyes/skin to pretty much everything! My favorite for dramatic long lashes and without irritation is: L'oreal telescopic mascara in blackest black. I can make my lashes go almost past my eyebrows and my brows have a pretty high arch.  The trick is to take your time applying it with long strokes and not short, fast strokes so it will lengthen properly.  I use L'oreal eye makeup remover in a blue bottle with a white lid.  I take it off with cvs sensitive skin circle cotton pads.  They won't shed cotton into your eyes either.  My second fav is Trish McEvoy lash curling mascara in jet black.  This mascara is great for weddings, vaca, traveling, working out or humid weather.  It WILL NOT smudge or flake.  It doesn't require any type of eye makeup remover!  It comes off with hot water when you gently touch your lashes in little tube-like shapes and they just fall down the drain.  I use this on a daily basis and the L'oreal on weekends out since it makes my lashes really long!  -Took me years and a lot of wasted money to find this system for my sensitive eyes.

I think Clinique is probably best for sensitive eyes. I would suggest certain types but I don't usually use Clinique. Though certainly give it a try. 
smile.gif

Try the Ecco Bella Brown Mascara

I wasted tons of money buying every sensitive eyes mascara on the market. Even tried all of the clinique mascaras with no luck. This is the ONLY mascara that doesn't give me red irritated eyes. It does not crumble at all, instead it goes on like a thin layer of paint, which I have never seen a mascara do before. One coat lasts me all day and all night. If you have sensitive eyes you must try this mascara. I liked the brown so much that I'm ordering the black one right now as well. This will be the only mascara I ever use!      

(deleted link per Terms of Service)

I have sensitive eyes and have had good luck with L'Oreal Voluminous mascara.

Wow, old thread that got resurrected!

My sister's eyelashes are super sensitive to mascara - many brands make them fall out!  She can wear Tarte's main mascara (can't think of the name) with no issues so that'd be my recommendation.

Latest posts

Back