-->

Welcome Guest to MakeupTalk

Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others in our MakeupTalk Forums
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get notification & email updates
  • Get your personal profile page and make new friends in our Community
  • Submit your reviews about Makeup Products and get feedback from other users
  • Send personal messages to other members

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

Advice on how to use Coconut Oil as conditioner?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

OK, so I have 100% pure coconut oil (solid form, in a jar) and would really like to use it in the shower as a hair conditioner. Has anyone done this? Can you tell me the best way to use it, before or after shampoo?

People rave about this stuff for hair, but no one seems to give details on the most effective way to use it. Hoping it can be done quickly, as I am not one to leave something in my hair for hours on end!

Thanks everyone
Cass

#Post 2 of 16 OFFLINE   Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

You could try this method:

melt a tsp of coconut oil in the microwave so that it liquifies
mix well into 2 tblspoon regular hair conditioner

shampoo hair, then apply conditioner with coconut oil
let stay on hair for 5 minutes or so, then rince well

**I use this method except I apply olive oil rather than coconut oil

#Post 3 of 16 OFFLINE   SewAmazing

SewAmazing

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

These kind of products are sold in African American beauty stores as a scalp conditioner/hair dressing. Are you sure you should be using the "solid" form of this? I'm thinking you should be using the liquid oil form as a hot oil treatment that you then rinse, and style your hair as normal. I'm not sure you have the right formulation for what you want to do...
OuterWear Designer. Eyeshadow challenged... Totally obsessed with diet iced tea...

#Post 4 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SewAmazing View Post
These kind of products are sold in African American beauty stores as a scalp conditioner/hair dressing. Are you sure you should be using the "solid" form of this? I'm thinking you should be using the liquid oil form as a hot oil treatment that you then rinse, and style your hair as normal. I'm not sure you have the right formulation for what you want to do...
Actaully, 100% pure coconut oil, with no additives, always comes in solid form. That is how it is naturally, when it is at room temp. When it is heated just a bit (sometimes even just rubbing it b/t your hands) it then liquifies.

If you buy the liquid kind, as far as I know, it has additives which makes it less effective.

#Post 5 of 16 OFFLINE   Retro-Violet

Retro-Violet

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts
  • Joined 05-November 05
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

i put it in my hair for awhile before i go to the shower and shampoo it off. then i condtion as normal. or if my hair is really really dry (like in the winter) i'll add a few drops to my conditioner.

#Post 6 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet View Post
i put it in my hair for awhile before i go to the shower and shampoo it off. then i condtion as normal. or if my hair is really really dry (like in the winter) i'll add a few drops to my conditioner.
when you put it on before the shower, are you applying it to dry or wet hair?

#Post 7 of 16 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

i have the solid form, and i apply it on dry hair (usually before going to bed and i wash my hair in the morning).

#Post 8 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
i have the solid form, and i apply it on dry hair (usually before going to bed and i wash my hair in the morning).
How much do you apply? Should your hair look really greasy????

#Post 9 of 16 OFFLINE   Sprite7

Sprite7

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-December 06
Reviews

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

I apply about a teaspoon to my hands, let it melt, and then run all this through my hair. Then I sort of finger brush it to distribute it evenly. (I avoid putting any directly on my scalp though.) I let it sit in my hair for a few minutes, then I go was my hair with shampoo like normal. I then condition my hair with my regular conditioner. This is what I have found works best for me.

#Post 10 of 16 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

if you want to use it as a conditioner after your shampoo, take a small nut of product, warm it in your hands then slowly apply it on your still wet and combed hair. this should be enough. i noticed you can easily put too much so a small nut is enough.
if you did it before your shampoo, unless your hair's really dry, you can skip any conditioner.

#Post 11 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
if you want to use it as a conditioner after your shampoo, take a small nut of product, warm it in your hands then slowly apply it on your still wet and combed hair. this should be enough. i noticed you can easily put too much so a small nut is enough.
if you did it before your shampoo, unless your hair's really dry, you can skip any conditioner.
Have you found this has helped your hair look healthier? How often do you do this?

#Post 12 of 16 OFFLINE   KrazyPhish

KrazyPhish

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05
Reviews

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:30 AM

You could scoop out a small amount of oil, I use about a thumbnail size (it's different for every one, it all depends on your hair), fill a drink bottle with warm water, mix in the oil and pour it on to your length and leave in.

#Post 13 of 16 OFFLINE   chocobon

chocobon

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts
  • Joined 15-March 06
Reviews

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

Great to know!!
Thnx everbody!!
We're just a couple of no name slobs. We belong to nobody and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other.
Breakfast at Tiffany's

#Post 14 of 16 OFFLINE   pinksugar

pinksugar

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 07
Reviews

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

the one I have is already liquid. It's in a spray bottle so I wash and condition my hair as usual, then spray it onto the ends while my hair is still wet. My hair is REALLY dry at the ends as I'm growing out a perm, and it helps it look more healthy. I find my hair gets greasy looking quickly if I put it into the top part of my hair though.

If it was solid I'd just warm it in my hands and then rub into the ends, leave over night and then wash out as normal.

Because mine is in a spray bottle, it means i can leave it in, it's not pure oil. It still does the job though

#Post 15 of 16 OFFLINE   moonlightmysts

moonlightmysts

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Reviews

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

I've found that taking a tiny bit and rubbing it into my hands until it melts, then wiping a thin layer on my hair helps prevent flyaways.

If I'm using it as a conditioner, I use the same method but I use more coconut oil and apply it until my hair is thoroughly covered, then I leave it on overnight, and shampoo and condition as usual in the morning.

#Post 16 of 16 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by moonlightmysts View Post
I've found that taking a tiny bit and rubbing it into my hands until it melts, then wiping a thin layer on my hair helps prevent flyaways.

If I'm using it as a conditioner, I use the same method but I use more coconut oil and apply it until my hair is thoroughly covered, then I leave it on overnight, and shampoo and condition as usual in the morning.
Cool, thanks!!!! I have been putting it in this way and leaving it on for about an hour or so, but have not done the overnight thing yet.