Check your cosmetic ingredients safety here

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen many queries about safety and performance of cosmetic ingredients and thought that a thread on the topic might be useful.

I find the information website of the EWG (Environmental Working Group) to be helpful in providing good information and am posting it here. Type in the specific ingredient in their "Search" and you will see a whole load of data and information, including ratings, links to studies, information if the product is banned by other countries, etc. I was very surprised that Silica (not to be confused with Silicone), which has been extensively used, is a moderately hazardous material, even more hazardous than Bismuth Oxychloride! Please see fit to add on to the thread if you come across other informative sites.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

You're most welcomed. Hope to see more informative sites added to the thread.
smile.gif

wow @ the silica info! I wonder if it is only on a career hazard amount? or whatever that phrase is

Eek...posted the wrong URL, should be the general website, not the Silica.
biggrin.gif
I'm also spooked about some of the ingredients not because of their toxicity but size. It seems the hazardous level of a safe ingredient corresponds directly to how small and airborne they are and if they will be inhaled or absorbed into the body through daily use, especially the nano ones like Zinc Cote. They have an informative section on Microspheres worth reading, imho. I was tempted to buy some Silica Microspheres but bought the Silicone Microspheres instead to be safe.
smile.gif

The Silica hazard is for occupational exposure to crystalline silica which is not the same silica that is cosmetic grade. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust in significant quantities can lead to silicosis or (much more rarely) cancer, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them (silica does not dissolve over time). This effect can be an occupational hazard for people working with sandblasting equipment, products that contain powdered silica, and so on. I've made posts about EWG before because they have yet to let newer companies add items to their database and they do not give the full story at times about cosmetic ingredients. There are things known about many ingredients that EWG doesn't include in their information. It's best to research more than here about a specific ingredient because you don't always get the full story.

Thanks for all the info! I already know that website, but I wish it contained more companies/products.

Originally Posted by oceanmist /img/forum/go_quote.gif The Silica hazard is for occupational exposure to crystalline silica which is not the same silica that is cosmetic grade. From Wikipedia:

I've made posts about EWG before because they have yet to let newer companies add items to their database and they do not give the full story at times about cosmetic ingredients. There are things known about many ingredients that EWG doesn't include in their information. It's best to research more than here about a specific ingredient because you don't always get the full story.

iagree.gif
100%

Originally Posted by oceanmist /img/forum/go_quote.gif The Silica hazard is for occupational exposure to crystalline silica which is not the same silica that is cosmetic grade. From Wikipedia:

I've made posts about EWG before because they have yet to let newer companies add items to their database and they do not give the full story at times about cosmetic ingredients. There are things known about many ingredients that EWG doesn't include in their information. It's best to research more than here about a specific ingredient because you don't always get the full story.

Yes, that is true.
I did some research on Silica when I started to read bad things. There are a few types of Silica. The bad Silica can contain microscopic amounts of Quartz, which is bad.

Latest posts

Back