Wrinkle Help!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm forming wrinkles on my face at what seems to be an exponential rate.... Mainly on either side of my mouth... Guess I smile too much... Lol. And I've tried many products mostly with Vitamin A / Retinol A compounds with little success...

Getting old sucks... (Sigh). But it beats the alternatives.... I would just like to fight off some of the ravages of time.... I don't even like to look in the magnifying mirror when putting on my makeup!! Lol

So anyone have success with any available products... Anything short of surgery... I could really use your help... Thanks!!!!.

Love Karren

its time for restylane!!!

j/k

your best bet for non-surgery is to go to a medi-spa and have a consultation. photorejuvination, microdermabrasion... it depends on how deep the creases are, and they will let you know.

What form of Vitamin A have you tried? and for how long? It's the only thing scientifically proven to prevent and improve wrinkles.

Also, a really good high PPD sunscreen is a MUST! A Vitamin C serum underneath the suncreen helps fight off UVA as well.

Originally Posted by beautynista /img/forum/go_quote.gif What form of Vitamin A have you tried? and for how long? It's the only thing scientifically proven to prevent and improve wrinkles.Also, a really good high PPD sunscreen is a MUST! A Vitamin C serum underneath the suncreen helps fight off UVA as well.

I've used some generic CVS Anti-wrinkle creams, and L'oreal Age Perfecting Double Action with "Elastium and Vit C, and currently trying L'oreal Wrinkle De-crease with Boaswelox... Usully for a few months and although if I stop and just use a moistureizer every day and night, nothing seems to improve them of make them less vixxible....
Karren

You may need to buy actual Retin-A. The store bought stuff with retanoids just aren't concentrated enough. Its only like $40 a tube and well worth it. I swear by it.

I've been using the new Nivea Visage Q10 Advanced line (Day Cream, Night Cream and Eye Cream). I have three forehead lines and starting to get little laugh lines. I have been using the Nivea for a couple months. I THINK it may be doing something for the forehead lines. It's not an earth-shattering change but I think they may be a bit better. The eye cream is very hydrating for my undereye area. The eye area seems smoother and brighter. I do not breakout at all using either of the creams. All three products are rich and creamy. I will say both creams (not the eye cream) have a scent. It is a bit strong compared to other creams. I don't mind that though.

I am going to keep using all of them. It is sooo hard to find products that don't break me out. They don't, so that is a huge plus. They may be working too, so I'm going to keep it up. They are very ecconomical. You can get all three for under $10.00 each at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted by beautynista /img/forum/go_quote.gif What form of Vitamin A have you tried? and for how long? It's the only thing scientifically proven to prevent and improve wrinkles.Also, a really good high PPD sunscreen is a MUST! A Vitamin C serum underneath the suncreen helps fight off UVA as well.

Can you take a vitamin A pill or are you talking about stuff with Retin A?

I agree with Stellargirl.

Retin A is the only product that has been clinically proven to reduce or even eliminate wrinkles.

Too many over the counter products know this so they use words like Vitamin A or Retinol as part of their name.

But the reality is, Retin A requires a prescription in Canada and the USA.

So if you are buying over the counter creams that claim to "remove or reduce the appearance" of wrinkles, save your money.

The ironic thing is prescription Retin A is $17 in Canada - pretty darn cheap.

Over the counter crap can be double the cost, and does 0% what it claims.

Originally Posted by cyw1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Stellargirl.Retin A is the only product that has been clinically proven to reduce or even eliminate wrinkles.

Too many over the counter products know this so they use words like Vitamin A or Retinol as part of their name.

But the reality is, Retin A requires a prescription in Canada and the USA.

So if you are buying over the counter creams that claim to "remove or reduce the appearance" of wrinkles, save your money.

The ironic thing is prescription Retin A is $17 in Canada - pretty darn cheap.

Over the counter crap can be double the cost, and does 0% what it claims.

retin-A causes sorta drying effect on the skin..so i was wondering if i apply it to the fine lines under my eyes..wont it cause dry & flaky skin.. infact worsen the wrinkles ????

Don't forget the effect of what your put in your body has on your body...

Water, water water, it is better than any cream... a well hydrated body makes wrinkles appear less to begin with.

But also eat all the right stuff, the right vitamins to feed you from the inside, you can put on all the vitamin E,A,C creams you want, but if you do not feed yourself right, it is useless.

One thing; sugar ages you!!!

Not natural sugars, from fruit.... those you need, but the refined sugars added in almost everything prepackaged & manufactured.

Alcohol, same story, horrible for your skin, with the exception of some red wine.

The best diet to stay young is a raw diet, nuts-seeds-fruits-vegetables.

As long as you give yourself all of the needed nutritients.

People are afraid of the word fat, but you need fats; the RIGHT fats that is. Animal fats = bad bad bad.

Avocados, nuts, seeds - those are your friends, and will keep you healthy and young.

Angel Eyes,

I apply Retin A all over my face including the delicate skin right up to my lower lids. I don't apply it on my lower lids or under my brows though.

Others might disagree with my application but it works for me.

Retin A can cause dryness. If this is uncomfortable, you have a few options.

1) get into the habit of apply it in the evening. Then use lots of moisturizer and sunscreen during the day.

2) apply Retin A every other day, until your skin gets use to it.

3) you can mix a moisturizer withthe Retin A. But you need to ask the pharmacist that gave you the Retin A, what moisturizer to buy that will not decrease the affectiveness of the Retin A.

If the Retin A causes dryness and flaky skin, this means it is exfoliating your skin at a quick rate. And the more the skin is exfoliated, the sooner you will see the new healthier skin underneath.

Dry, flaky skin does not cause wrinkles - lack of sunscreen, smoking, etc can cause wrinkles.

Skin can take 7-8 weeks to exfoliate and expose the new skin. Retin A will increase this rate. As well, Retin A can help rejuvinate (or at least help maintain) the collagen underneath the skin.

It is this combination that will keep your skin healthy and rejuvinated.

I applaud you for wanting to start Retin A at a relatively young age. IMO, the younger you start on Retin A, the longer you will keep the collagen under your skin and the longer you will keep wrinkles at bay.

Great advice... Guess I need to see my physician and get a perscription... And with my insurance I only pay either $5 for generic or $15 for brand names...

So what's the relationship between Rentin A and Vitamin A? And does taking Vitamin A internally help?

I know I my diet isn't the best but not the worst either.. Light or no breakfast, yogart and applesauce for lunch and regular diner.. Snacks are my downfall.. Lol. If they are there then I'll eat them!! Sigh.... And I'm over hydrated... Too much diet coke.. Hehe

Thanks for the great advice.. Your all too sweet!!

Love Karren

My understanding is that Retin A is derived from A.

Vitamin A is fat soluable. This means that whatever your body doesn't use, the rest will be stored in your body.

Taking a Vitamin A supplement is not required. There are so many foods that have Vitamin A that it is rare that anyone living in Canada or the US would develope a deficiancy. And if you don't get enough Vitamin A one day, your body will use excess Vitamin A that is in storage.

If you ingest too much Vitamin A, it can build up in your system and become toxic. When I was on Accutane (vitamin A derivative), I had to do monthly tests

to make sure my liver and blood remained healthy.

Really, the best source of information is from your doctor. When you get a prescription for Retin A, ask them what their opinion is and go by their judgement. BTW, your family doctor can prescribe Retin A.

Originally Posted by Karren Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great advice... Guess I need to see my physician and get a perscription... And with my insurance I only pay either $5 for generic or $15 for brand names...
So what's the relationship between Rentin A and Vitamin A? And does taking Vitamin A internally help?

I know I my diet isn't the best but not the worst either.. Light or no breakfast, yogart and applesauce for lunch and regular diner.. Snacks are my downfall.. Lol. If they are there then I'll eat them!! Sigh.... And I'm over hydrated... Too much diet coke.. Hehe

Thanks for the great advice.. Your all too sweet!!

Love Karren

Btw, a good big but healthy breakfast is much healthier than no breakfast and coke doesn't hydrate at all, you need water.
smile.gif

As for taking Vitamin A supplements, that doesn't help with regards to counteracting aging. Retin A contains tretinoin, which is a derivative of Vitamin A and a member of the retinoid family.

I suggest you first try OTC (over the counter) products containing Retinaldehyde, which is a precusor of Retinoic acid. It's a bit gentler, hence the reason why you can find it in OTC products. Avene makes great retinaldehyde products, I suggest you try those first. If you find that your skin tolerates it well (first week, apply it every 3 days), you can switch to Retin A which you'll need a prescription for. Also, keep in mind you need time and patience with this. You won't see results over night. There is so much to know about retinoids, and a lot of precautions as well so it's really important to see your doctor about this.
smile.gif

Here's an interesting article about retinoids and photoaged skin:

Postgraduate Medicine: Skin Disorders Symposium: Topical treatments for photoaged skin

I'm right there with you Karen! Getting old sucks, but it's inevitable unfortunately. lol... I use a vitamin c serum from SkinMedica every morning and then I just started using a retinol 1.0 cream from Skinceuticals every other day. It must be doing something because it's making my face peel.
kopfkratz.gif
whistling.gif
I also use at least an SPF 15 over the Vitamin C serum every day. hth
7dh.gif

Originally Posted by beautynista /img/forum/go_quote.gif Btw, a good big but healthy breakfast is much healthier than no breakfast and coke doesn't hydrate at all, you need water.
smile.gif

As for taking Vitamin A supplements, that doesn't help with regards to counteracting aging. Retin A contains tretinoin, which is a derivative of Vitamin A and a member of the retinoid family.

I suggest you first try OTC (over the counter) products containing Retinaldehyde, which is a precusor of Retinoic acid. It's a bit gentler, hence the reason why you can find it in OTC products. Avene makes great retinaldehyde products, I suggest you try those first. If you find that your skin tolerates it well (first week, apply it every 3 days), you can switch to Retin A which you'll need a prescription for. Also, keep in mind you need time and patience with this. You won't see results over night. There is so much to know about retinoids, and a lot of precautions as well so it's really important to see your doctor about this.
smile.gif

Here's an interesting article about retinoids and photoaged skin:

Postgraduate Medicine: Skin Disorders Symposium: Topical treatments for photoaged skin

I find that if I eat a good breakfast then I'm more hungry during the day and eat more.... go figure? And Water tastes sooooo tasteless.... lol I will look into Retinaldehyde's, thanks.... Great article btw... I need to do something..... Feel like the wicked witch... hehe
Love Karren

try microdermabrasion on your smile lines too - this is what worked on my fine lines, i used epidermx..

I use a combination of microdermadrasion, TCA peels, retin-A, SPF 58 sunscreen EVERYDAY, and restylane. No wrinkles here
smile.gif
I wasted a lot of money on creams in the past, so I just decided to get the good stuff. At least it works and I am not wasting my money on products that don't work. If you can't afford the injections, then the best thing is to get a retin-A script from your doctor. It is actually really cheap. I have a ($50) 1oz container that will easily last me a year. A little goes a long way.

Oh, and drink lots of water.

RhondaB, do you have restylane injections? Or, do you apply a restalane cream to your face? If so, what brand do you buy? (Buy the way, love the lips!)

I get the injections about every 5 months. The more often you get it done the less you will need each time you go. A study just came out that looked at collagen formation after restylane injection. It appears that restylane stimulates new collagen production. The half life of collagen is 15 years, so restylane may have some long term benefits. It may also explain why you need less and less of it with each visit. My doctor lets me keep my syringe in his office, so that if I don't use all of it in one visit, I don't have to buy a whole new syringe the next time I go. I am at the point now where one syringe will last me two visits (10 months). When I first started getting the injections I needed two syringes per visit! I am so happy that I don't have to waste my money hunting for miracle creams anymore. I probably spent just as much on creams as I do on restylane now!

Back