Drugstore vs. Name Brands??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering whether or not drugstore brands were better of more sufficient than name brand cosmetics. I am really starting to become a drugstore cosmo addict! I can't get enough of it! They're half the price as name brands and it's much morer convient for me to get a hold of.

I prefer both really because where drugstore brands lack, name brands make up for and vice versa. What's your thoughts about it?

the only thing i hate about drugstores is that i have to buy in order to see if the product was good or not. If you do a search im sure this topic has been posted already.

Drugstore brands are ok. I do stick to counter brands (MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay, etc) because I can try them before buying. I hate opening a package of lipstick and finding the color is all wrong. I've never returned a name brands cosmetic because the color wasn't what I thought it was. But some name brands are good, I did end up buying a lot of Revlon's limited edition collection recently and am loving it. But as far as quality, it depends on the brand I think.

THe biggest place I notice the difference is in staying power and pigmentation. I just can't get colors to stay with drugstore brand (except milani and revlon). But sometimes drugstore brands are nice.

I buy and love both. I definately lean more towards higher end brands for the same reason's everyone else has mentioned. Better pigmentation, you get to test them out first, etc. But I have a lot of drugstore makeup that I adore. Wet n wild eyeliner, revlon illuminance eyeshadow, MF 2000 calorie mascara, milani eyeshadows, etc. It's just a lot more hit or miss with drugstore brands.

I am guilty of testing stuff out in walmart before I buy it....bad me.

I stick to high end brands but I buy drugstore whenever I hear about it here on MUT !!

I buy both a combination of drugstore and high end. I think NYX is one of the best drugstore brands out there, their eyeshadow is the best!

drugstore brands can seem really good and convenient... but the things that work the best and treat your skin the best.. i've tried lots of drugstore brands and honestly.. i've only become happy with the results now that i've started using biotherm... drugstore brands cannot hold a candle to the coverage, close to skintone match and lack of acne or blackheads that biotherm leaves me with.

It really depends. I like some drugstore stuff, it's just a bit harder to find the one or two awesome products in the line sometimes since I can't test the majority of the stuff. I do have some HG drugstore items though.

Since I've been working for Clarins, I've used the products from that line. I have also had success with drugstore brands. It comes down to works best for you.

Originally Posted by https://forum.makeuptalk.com/../members/chrystia-34038.html" Chrystia[/url]]Drugstore brands are ok. I do stick to counter brands (MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay, etc) because I can try them before buying. I hate opening a package of lipstick and finding the color is all wrong. I've never returned a name brands cosmetic because the color wasn't what I thought it was. But some name brands are good, I did end up buying a lot of Revlon's limited edition collection recently and am loving it. But as far as quality, it depends on the brand I think.
THe biggest place I notice the difference is in staying power and pigmentation. I just can't get colors to stay with drugstore brand (except milani and revlon). But sometimes drugstore brands are nice.

Originally Posted by [b emily_3383https://forum.makeuptalk.com/../members/emily_3383-10395.html[/b]]the only thing i hate about drugstores is that i have to buy in order to see if the product was good or not. If you do a search im sure this topic has been posted already. I'm the same way. I like to try out the product before I buy it, and I like the fact that the product that I get hasn't been used by anybody else. I don't like it when people break open the containers and contaminate the product by sticking their fingers in it. I caught a woman at Wal-Greens doing that with just about every single product that she came across, and I got ill just watching her...

I like both drugstore and dept store brands. The only dept store brand I am using right now is MAC eyeshadows. Otherwise the rest of my makeup is a mixture of cheaper and higher end drugstore brands.

What I prefer about dept. stores,too, is that you(mostly) get to test the items out, so you don't need to return things so often(or be stuck with a color that is wrong on you.)

Originally Posted by Colorlicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif depending what i'm looking for, i like both, but i tend to stay with high end brands I'm the same way.

i like both. i use mostly drugstore brands for skincare products. but most of my makeups are from department store. i sometimes feel as some drugstore brands have many good quality products as the high ends stuff. i've tried numerous of high ends products and left with huge disappointment. so department store brands don't always guaranteed good quality. come to think of it, if you take away the money they spent on advertising, the packaging, the tax, the SA's, and the free samples, most high-end brands will worth nothing more than the regular drugstores goodies.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back