Wrapping hair around your head to straighten it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read this in a magazine and they made it seem like it´s the perfect way to straighten your hair without a blowdrier or flatiron.

You´re just supposed to comb your toweldried hair tightly around your head and secure the ends with bobby pins.

I just did this and my hair is a mess..it didn´t fully dry and I wrapped it all from right to left so the shape is really ugly. The texture is really smooth though, at least that´s a plus lol

Does anyone know if this technique actually works? And if so, how exactly is it done and what did I do wrong?

Of course it works. People have been doing this for decades. Ask any black girl here, and she'll tell you the proper way to do this (ditch the bobby pins, they can tear your hair and that's no fun
frown.gif
).

It's very simply really, just divide your hair into four even sections, take a boar bristle brush, and use it to smooth the hair around your head. You will need something to hold it that way. Use a some kind of smooth scarf to tie around your head. This is how I go to sleep at night. You get better each time you practice it. Pretty soon it will take you less than a minute to do it smoothly. This is exactly how I was able to ditch my hair irons. I am completely heat-free now.

ah, I didn´t devide my hair at all...so since I have some layers of course my hair didn´t go all around my head. Silly me lol

I would love to straighten my hair without any heating tools. Blow drying makes it straight, but the texture is never smooth and silky..but maybe the wrapping will do the trick

Thanks for clarifying the technique for me, Nox.

Oh Andi.....I was getting a mental picture of all your hair going in the same direction around your head. Sorry. I laughed.

My hair would look like a frizzy mess if I tried that. I can't even keep a scrunchie on my hair at nights.

Originally Posted by kelly1965rn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh Andi.....I was getting a mental picture of all your hair going in the same direction around your head. Sorry. I laughed. I was thinking the same thing.... that the hair would all be going the same direction, and if it didn't it would have lift on one side and flat on the other
confused.gif
lol

I think you also need a wrapping lotion. Not sure. I wrap my hair with Cholesterol Creme. So..yeah. Wrap lotion, I think.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think you also need a wrapping lotion. Not sure. I wrap my hair with Cholesterol Creme. So..yeah. Wrap lotion, I think. i just use setting lotion spray....the lotion gets kinda heavy and its more lightweightbut yeah nox gave a good description of how it works

not only does wrapping keep hair straight...it prevents split ends too yaaaay!

oh yeah trust me I looked stupid with my hair all in one direction.

My hair is really smooth and soft this morning, but dead flat...maybe this technique only works for ladies who have lots of hair, and enough volume.

I think that your hair may be to fine for this to be done, because it ususally works out fairly well. What you have to do is exactly what Nox said, wrap it going in a circular motion. Use some mousse or gel for hold, or wrapping lotion. use a scarf to tie it up after it is wrapped around. I wish i could help more, if you lived in Mississippi (LOL) then I could do it for you and I guarantee that you would love it forever!!!!!!!!!111111 I love wrapping my hair, it makes it super straight and give it volume.

i might have to try this too. my hair is thick and curly/wavy. i constantly fry it to get it smooth! which way do you brush each section?

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that your hair may be to fine for this to be done, because it ususally works out fairly well. What you have to do is exactly what Nox said, wrap it going in a circular motion. Use some mousse or gel for hold, or wrapping lotion. use a scarf to tie it up after it is wrapped around. I wish i could help more, if you lived in Mississippi (LOL) then I could do it for you and I guarantee that you would love it forever!!!!!!!!!111111 I love wrapping my hair, it makes it super straight and give it volume. hehe. I will just try it again and again...after all I really LOVE how smooth my hair is. Even after blowdrying and flatironing my hair has this frizzy/rough texture and is barely ever smooth to the touch.
I´ll definitely keep trying.

Originally Posted by mrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif i might have to try this too. my hair is thick and curly/wavy. i constantly fry it to get it smooth! which way do you brush each section? Mrom, with plentiful hair like you have, and like myself also, you must have some kind of medium to put on the hair to make it easier to manipulate. In your case, water will most likely do the trick. Get it damp, but not dripping, and then brush around the head. I know brushing while wet is not the best thing for your hair, so always use a high quality brush to do this. Some people prefer the Denman brush, some the Boar bristle brush.
Now, you must wrap the head with some kind of smooth cloth. Some ladies even use Saran wrap for a good tight cling. Just make sure to wrap it with whatever you find, otherwise, the hair will not stay wrapped. After you let the hair dry a bit, it is okay to sleep on, but never sleep on it damp, that's asking for scalp fungus problems.

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that your hair may be to fine for this to be done, because it ususally works out fairly well. What you have to do is exactly what Nox said, wrap it going in a circular motion. Use some mousse or gel for hold, or wrapping lotion. use a scarf to tie it up after it is wrapped around. I wish i could help more, if you lived in Mississippi (LOL) then I could do it for you and I guarantee that you would love it forever!!!!!!!!!111111 I love wrapping my hair, it makes it super straight and give it volume. LOL...you and Nox are on the money, a wrap is a guaranteed hairstyle that you'll love.

The only way I think this will work on really fine hair, is if your hair is wet, and you use setting lotion.

im so confused as ?HoW exactally to wrap it, sorry for being dense i wanan tryit though it soudsn awsome

Originally Posted by Liz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif im so confused as ?HoW exactally to wrap it, sorry for being dense i wanan tryit though it soudsn awsome I don't understand either.
tocktock.gif

Originally Posted by Liz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif im so confused as ?HoW exactally to wrap it, sorry for being dense i wanan tryit though it soudsn awsome Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't understand either.
tocktock.gif
Originally Posted by kisska3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif me neither i really want to try it but i just don't understand how this works Okay my ladys! Here is a very good tutorial of how to "Wrap Your Hair". She explains a whole bunch of other stuff too, but it may not apply to what your personal goal is.
Enjoy!

Healthy Textures: How to Wrap Your Hair.

Latest posts

Back