what pencil sharpeners do you use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used clinique's before, now I use mac's, and while it is better, i can' get my pencils reeeaaaly kind of pointy sharp. Sometimes, I just want to draw a thin line. What do you ladies use and recommend?

one of the mac muas recommended that you break off that little black piece that is at the tip inside of the of the sharpener. you can see it. i just bought one, but i haven't gotten around to breaking the thing off.

Originally Posted by Liz one of the mac muas recommended that you break off that little black piece that is at the tip inside of the of the sharpener. you can see it. i just bought one, but i haven't gotten around to breaking the thing off. I was just thinking of doing that, and went for it. works like a charm! thanx ladies!

I was using a Revlon pencil sharpener, which I had for years. But last weekend when I was at the MAC counter loading up on Powerpoints, the MA suggested MAC's pencil sharpener. She explained that a lot of people say that because of the softness of MAC's pencils, other sharpeners don't work well.

I haven't used my new MAC sharpener yet, but I will definitely break off that little piece if it makes such a huge difference. I wonder why that piece is there to begin with?

heh.. pencil sharpeners should only cost 10 cents.. really. But I found my "Holy Grail" pencil sharpener at the Beauty Supply store. It's by Brandon, which also makes great brushes. The sharpener is made in Germany and also sharpens fat pencils. I think it was like 2 bucks.. I've had it for 4 years and it has never failed me. Very sharp points! I found it on this website for $4 bucks.. but it's the BEST.. so if you are willing to pay, then go for it.

BRANDON METAL SHARPENER

Originally Posted by Scarlette heh.. pencil sharpeners should only cost 10 cents.. really. But I found my "Holy Grail" pencil sharpener at the Beauty Supply store. It's by Brandon, which also makes great brushes. The sharpener is made in Germany and also sharpens fat pencils. I think it was like 2 bucks.. I've had it for 4 years and it has never failed me. Very sharp points! I found it on this website for $4 bucks.. but it's the BEST.. so if you are willing to pay, then go for it.
BRANDON METAL SHARPENER

10 cents sounds good to me! I have never heard of that brand, I'll have to look into it. I think the MAC sharpener was $2.50. My old one was starting to rust so I figured I'd just go ahead and get it. It doesn't sharpen fat pencils though.

Originally Posted by spazbaby 10 cents sounds good to me! I have never heard of that brand, I'll have to look into it. I think the MAC sharpener was $2.50. My old one was starting to rust so I figured I'd just go ahead and get it. It doesn't sharpen fat pencils though. YAY! Try it and let me know. I have bought Brandon products at Drug Emporium and Pure Beauty as well as independent beauty supply stores. You can check around.

I just bought a really cheap, less than $1 one from NYC. I haven't really tried a lot of sharpeners and really didn't know there was any difference between them besides the size of the pencils they sharpened. The one I has sharpens both small and large pencils. The MAC sharpener was really only $2.50. I would think that it would be more expensive because it is MAC, but if I could get a MAC sharpener for $2.50 then I would definitely buy it because I'm a MAC fiend
icon_twisted.gif

I got so frustrated with pencil sharpeners that I only use automatic pencils now ... I don't know if I was using the wrong sharpener and/or the pencils were just too cheap and poorly made, but the lead kept breaking and the wood kept splintering when I tried sharpening them .... But I don't care now, I have every eyeliner color I want in automatic pencils now, mostly Jordanna brand (can't beat 2 pencils for $3, especially when they have amazingly soft lead!)

Originally Posted by Scarlette heh.. pencil sharpeners should only cost 10 cents.. really. But I found my "Holy Grail" pencil sharpener at the Beauty Supply store. It's by Brandon, which also makes great brushes. The sharpener is made in Germany and also sharpens fat pencils. I think it was like 2 bucks.. I've had it for 4 years and it has never failed me. Very sharp points! I found it on this website for $4 bucks.. but it's the BEST.. so if you are willing to pay, then go for it.
BRANDON METAL SHARPENER

I have the same one! Works awesome.
claps.gif

I've seen those metal ones.... they work good!! I've been using my L'Oreal one - sharpens both regular and the fat ones... shap points, cheap and works like a charm
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I've seen those metal ones.... they work good!! I've been using my L'Oreal one - sharpens both regular and the fat ones... shap points, cheap and works like a charm
smile.gif
I never had a prob with my Revlon one...except I had it for a very long time and it was starting to rust. I got the MAC one just because it was convenient since I was at the counter anyway (SHOCK). But I do have the Benefit Eye Bright pencil which is fat so the MAC sharpener won't do the job. I'm not that picky about sharpeners but if there's a "good" one, of course I want it. I've never seen the metal ones but I think I'll see if my Sally's has this.

Originally Posted by spazbaby I never had a prob with my Revlon one...except I had it for a very long time and it was starting to rust. I got the MAC one just because it was convenient since I was at the counter anyway (SHOCK). But I do have the Benefit Eye Bright pencil which is fat so the MAC sharpener won't do the job. I'm not that picky about sharpeners but if there's a "good" one, of course I want it. I've never seen the metal ones but I think I'll see if my Sally's has this. How much is MAC charging for their sharpeners??
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 How much is MAC charging for their sharpeners??
icon_wink.gif
Only $2.50. It's nice because it's capped so it catches the shavings. But it will only sharpen skinny pencils.

Latest posts

Back