-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Memebox

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

What skin tone am I?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 21 OFFLINE   poopy

poopy

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 17-May 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time, Am I NEUTRAL or WARM? People at makeup counters tell me I am neutral, but I am confused because whenever they have pictures of warm skin tone, they put pictures of asian people.

file:///D:/Documents/US27700/My%20Pictures/GT/Copy%20of%20CIMG3877.JPG

#Post 2 of 21 OFFLINE   landlord

landlord

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

Hello there, you look a similar skin tone to me but I had the opposite advice. Make up counters kept saying I was warm skin tone and putting me in tan foundation which I never felt looked right (too dark/too warm like a tan) . I had my colours done and was told I am cool i.e winter if that makes any sense to you. I have just ventured into mineral makeup and tried a neutral base which worked for me better than the warm base so I am sorted!
Some websites say to help determine your tone, look at the veins on the underside of your wrist. If they are clearly green, you are warm and if they are clearly blue you are cool otherwise you are neutral. Others go by which colours suit you best so if you look better in gold you are warm, better in silver you are cool or can wear both you are neutral (hence why I mentioned the colour analysis above)

Hope that is of some help!

#Post 3 of 21 OFFLINE   MACmaniac

MACmaniac

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Joined 02-September 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Great advice!

#Post 4 of 21 OFFLINE   Ashley

Ashley

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Joined 13-February 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

Hm..I would guess neutral or olive.

#Post 5 of 21 OFFLINE   PhantomGoddess

PhantomGoddess

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Joined 24-June 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by aplsmash View Post
Hm..I would guess neutral or olive.
I agree. You look like you could go either way.

#Post 6 of 21 OFFLINE   farris2

farris2

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • Joined 20-January 07
Reviews

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:38 AM

you could also look at the color of your veins on your arms.I read this on a MMU website.I just cant remember which one!

#Post 7 of 21 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

i always recommend that people trying to determine their skintone base go to prescriptives for a color match. this is probably the best thing i did when i started wearing makeup. it doesn't cost a thing and it helps you make better decisions on future makeup purchases. hope this helps!

#Post 8 of 21 OFFLINE   Make-up_Hawk

Make-up_Hawk

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 22-August 07
Reviews

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Perhaps you're both. I'm warm during the summer and cool in the winter when my tan fades.

#Post 9 of 21 OFFLINE   lmm

lmm

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

may i ask, i seem to see blue veins under my wrists but gren ones on my arms.. what skintone is tt? thank u! btw i tink im a deep autumn.. im chinese with black hair n dark eyes.. n i dun tink my skin is translucent..

#Post 10 of 21 OFFLINE   RoxRae

RoxRae

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 30-September 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

I always get completely frustrated trying to figure out what skin tone I am. I have blue and green veins right next to each other on my inner wrist, in some lighting and on different days I look yellowish and others I look pinkish. I can wear either color jewelry, silver & gold. I have the most difficult time finding foundation. I try to find ones that say neutral, but often they are too yellowish for me. I am at a complete loss. ~sigh~
Don't sweat the small stuff...

#Post 11 of 21 OFFLINE   sarah29457

sarah29457

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

If that picture is you at your tan level I'd say neutral, if you get darker then I'd say warm! That's just my opinion though.

#Post 12 of 21 OFFLINE   magneticheart

magneticheart

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,463 posts
  • Joined 11-August 07
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoxRae View Post
I always get completely frustrated trying to figure out what skin tone I am. I have blue and green veins right next to each other on my inner wrist
I have the same problem! Only my veins are a between blue and green so I have no idea what skin tone that makes me lol
Katie

No girl should ever forget that she doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her.
My Myspace//My Photography

#Post 13 of 21 OFFLINE   RoxRae

RoxRae

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 30-September 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
I have the same problem! Only my veins are a between blue and green so I have no idea what skin tone that makes me lol

Is that not the most frustrating thing ever?? What have you done to find a foundation match? What brand do you use? I am at my wits end.
Don't sweat the small stuff...

#Post 14 of 21 OFFLINE   magneticheart

magneticheart

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,463 posts
  • Joined 11-August 07
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

I use a Virgin Vie powder foundation. I'm quite happy with it but I always have to put a powder over it or the colour doesn't look quite right. I've given up on liquid foundations because I've tried every affordable brand and nothing matches my skin. It's so annoying!
Katie

No girl should ever forget that she doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her.
My Myspace//My Photography

#Post 15 of 21 OFFLINE   laurafaye

laurafaye

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Joined 10-June 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
I use a Virgin Vie powder foundation. I'm quite happy with it but I always have to put a powder over it or the colour doesn't look quite right. I've given up on liquid foundations because I've tried every affordable brand and nothing matches my skin. It's so annoying!
Haha I had just about given up on liquid foundations until the Estee Lauder double wear foundation. No cheap-ish brand ever matched my skintone, always too dark or yellowy. I hate foundation hunting!

#Post 16 of 21 OFFLINE   Panda816

Panda816

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 26-August 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I find it confusing as well, which is my big problem of committing to a foundation! Ugh not to mention skin TYPE as well....oh dear!

#Post 17 of 21 OFFLINE   hopeless novice

hopeless novice

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 29-September 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

I believe palms and part of the wrist lack pigment, so your veins will show up blue anyway. Look at the upper area where there is pigment. Back of the hand too.

#Post 18 of 21 OFFLINE   chantelle8686

chantelle8686

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

rox i am the same as u hun...i have problems with color....im in between a neutral and beige most times but it changes through out the yr...its sooo annoying...so i try and find a powder that is either one sahde lighter or darker...depending on seasons and it balances it out....or might have to go for minerals an make ur own shade....

Poopy go off wat landlord had said....it works great...if they dont have the exact shade ur looking for try a powder that matches more closely..as some tend to have more variations
Love Chan

#Post 19 of 21 OFFLINE   Ozee

Ozee

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Joined 29-October 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

i dont even know what i am..
- What do you mean he don't eat no meat?!....... Oh thats ok, thats ok... I make lamb -
~Aunt Voula~

#Post 20 of 21 OFFLINE   GillT

GillT

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Joined 21-May 08
Reviews

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

I definitely recommend finding a Prescriptives counter. I managed to find a foundation that was actually my skin colour, plus the people at the counter have always been very helpful and genuinely nice.
"He dropped to his knees to beg for mercy, which offered me height advantage as I smashed in his skull with a sledgehammer."