Removing artifical nails with dental floss!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter had acrylic nails that she wanted removed and after zero success with soaking in acetone I searched the internet for a solution. I read somewhere to use dental floss. We tried it and OMG!!!!!!!!! it took less than 5mins to remove all 10 nails!!!!! This was the method we used.......

-it takes a second person to do this for you, it can't be done alone

-use a metal nail file to work up the edge a bit all along the whole width of the acrylic at the cuticle end of the nail

-use about 12 inches of floss wrap it around the second finger of each hand and then slip the floss under the edge that you just created

-now use a sawing motion and pull toward the tip of the finger and presto!!! the nail pops off

and no pain!!!

just becareful beacuse it is very strong.......on one nail we didn't get a free edge across the whole nail and the floss acutally sliced right through the acrylic nail. we just stopped and got more free edge the for the floss to slide under.

I used the teflon type of floss, you know the easyslide or glide floss.

serious, I was amazed at how easy and fast this was!!!
rockwoot.gif

Now, why didn't I look into that ages ago when I wore acrylics! Thanks for the tip Dee!

thanks for the tip, and just on time too! i want to take mine off but hate sitting through the acetone

Awesome I am going to try it this weekend cause mine have to come off thanks a ton for the tip.

Thank you sooo much for this tip! I will try it out for sure!

Acetone dries my fingers out so bad!

Originally Posted by rita1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif ARE YOU SURE it's not painful? Justine said it only hurt a tiny bit and she does not have a high pain tolerance!! It doesn't hurt b/c you are basically breaking the seal between the glue and your nail.......when you pry them off you are actually pulling on your nail bed and that's what causes the pain.

Originally Posted by KristinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is a great tip. Is the nail really thin and weak now? they are but not as bad as prying them off b/c as I stated above, you are breaking the seal so I guess in turn you are leaving some layers of nail on your nail!

BTW.....if you attempt to use acetone and then this floss method you may not have any luck.....once the acrylic nail is soft and rubbery this technique will not work.

hello

I wanted to say that I have test your way .I have find hard to make a space between the cuticule and acrylic nails I don't know how you do to remove when you use a metal nail file to work up the edge a bit all along the whole of the acrylic .

sheep.gif

Great idea! I currently have acrylics that I clipped the ends off because i couldn't stand them, and I was just going to file or buffer off the rest but this sounds like a much better idea!!! XxX

Just be careful when you do this you aren't pulling off the natural nail as well. It's stuck to the acrylic, I guarentee you'll do damage.

For removing acrylics, buff them down before soaking them in acetone, they will come off a LOT quicker than just plonking them straight into the acetone. As soon as you remove them put on some cuticle oil. Those nails are going to need some TLC.

Latest posts

Back