Primer for Dry sensitive skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am on the hunt for a good primer for my sensitive skin for eyelids.

None of the most know primer works form me.

I bought the expensive Smashbox photofinish, which realy made my MMU tay put, but break me out.

It is a quite expensive product, so I am really dissapointed it does not work for me.

I tried monistat gel
banghead.gif
and it broke me out so badly that I was afraid to go outside next day!!

I also tried the famou UDPP for my eyelid and it brough out my eczema that I finally cured with jojoba oil in 3 months.

My skin is very very dry and prone to eczema, especially on the eyelids. Also it may bet irritated iasily, which was the reason that I turn to MMU from traditional makeup.

I tried signature mineral primer which at least didn't break me out, but it doesn't have quite as significant effect that I want.

Any MMU primer suggestion? I do not want to try any non MMU stuff, because I am almost sure of the break outs.

Thanks for the tip. Although I do not see it on their website. Or you meant their primer powder?!?

Unfortunately I am not looking for primer powder, I am looking for real primer like a gel or cream or something.

Primer powders just has same ingredients as reguler MMU foundation, I do not see the point to put on.

Originally Posted by peachycheeks /img/forum/go_quote.gif Primer powders just has same ingredients as reguler MMU foundation, I do not see the point to put on. Actually that's not true. Depending on the particular company, they add cornstarch, or silk powder, or rice powder. These are not in foundation. They are oil absorbers and help the minerals adhere to the skin.
But in your case you should stay away from them because you say you have dry sensitive skin. Those ingredients would probably aggrivate your skin.

Have you looked into Pure Luxe's Eraser (the "gel" formulation)? I bought the full-size and can't use it.

I'm going to be making either a sale or swap list later this week and I'll have that on there if you are interested. I haven't even used it. I bought a sample size of it and decided to buy a full-size of it before I used the sample. I then decided it wasn't for me-- that I preferred the Monistat. I actually discovered something new at CVS (well new to me). It's the Essence of Beauty Airbrush Primer. Love the stuff!

Warmly,

Brandi

Does it have to be a primer, or how about a cream foundation? Purelycosmetics has a cream formula foundation that is supposed to be for dry skin. The coverage is kinda light (for me), so I buff on loose powder on top, so I guess that makes it like a primer.

I have used this before and I have sensitive skin and eyes and didn't have any problems. I got this at CVS:

Lumene: Product

I also use the Alima primer on my eyelids and didn't have any problems with that product either. This is the ingredients from the website:

Ingredients

Kaolin (CI 77004), Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947). May contain Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

susanks 1 -Did you used the Lumene product you linked ? It was good? Didd make any sign of skin irritation?

Actually I sampled the Alima primer with some of their other product. I generally didn't like any of Alima product. I just checked their ingredients list later, so I am not surprised it didn't do anything for me. It has the same ingredients list as my foundation, why would it do more then my foundation?!

Brandi - I think a swap list is very good ide. I would be definately interested to try Pure Luxe's Eraser

laurie_lu - Yes , I know some powder primer has ingrediant made of food like rice or corn, but I am not even willing to consider those.They are very good enviromnet for bacteria to grow, so they are one of the biggest cause of skin irritation and acne

Originally Posted by peachycheeks /img/forum/go_quote.gif laurie_lu - Yes , I know some powder primer has ingrediant made of food like rice or corn, but I am not even willing to consider those.They are very good enviromnet for bacteria to grow, so they are one of the biggest cause of skin irritation and acne Interesting. I did not know this. Do you have any scientific studies you could post a link to that supports your statement? I'd like to share this with others who are using products that contain food ingredients.

laure-liu , - I'll try to dig it up, but actually first I read on this MMU forum some time ago. Somebody linked a dermology page about this issue, so I educated myself on common skin irritants.

Again, it doesn't mean nobody should ever use product which has cornstrach or rice power. Some people skin doesn't get irritated easily or do not get acne, so they do not need to worry about this. Those ingredient can have good skin nourishing properties too.

I am a nurse, and used to specialize in wound care for five years. It was considered a big no-no to apply anything with cornstarch to areas of the skin that had any type of fungal infection because yeasts/fungi love and thrive on starches. I don't have any references off the top of my head but a medline search would probably turn up any studies or research confirming a connection between food based products and the growth of bacteria/fungus. Any of the dermatology journals, also the wound care publication called Advances in Skin and Wound Care are likely to have addressed this issue.

Yet J & J still sells baby powder with cornstarch in it. You'd think with diaper rash, it would be an open entry for bacteria from cornstarch to enter an infants skin. Luckily I used "A & D" ointment on my kids when they were babies.

So is there any dangers in using powder primers with silk powder being the main ingredient? This comes from a worm right?

Not unless you're allergic to silk. The biggest problem with food ingredients in cosmetics (including mineral) is the chance of contamination.

If you don't have allergies to oats, corn, rice, etc., they're likely fine to use - just make sure to pour your minerals into a separate swirly dish before you apply them so that your brush doesn't go directly into the jar or lid.

I think I'd order the smaller sizes, and discard the leftovers after maybe 9 - 12 months if it had food product ingredients - as well as keeping it well clear of moisture and other contaminants. But you should do that with any makeup anyway - it'll give it a longer shelf-life, and you don't want it going all funky on you because you've got dead skin cells or dirt or finger oils in it.

i don't use a primer per se. the ones like smashbox i've seen at sephora kind of disgust me by their texture. instead i just use a good amount of moisturizer, this one being for sensitive skins, i find it helps. i tried the rice primer from Fyrinnae, i guess it's good i just never saw a real improvement. during summer i will apply some loose translucent powder before my foundation to help mattify it, that's the only "primer" i use.

I am still looking for a good primer for dry skin. anybody tried anything which would consider like one?

I primer is $20-30 and usually there are no samples, so I do not want to buy without reading some good comment about it from users.

I heard that EDM maybe coming out with one very soon. I migh buy theirs without review, because so far every face product I bought from them were good.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Im looking for a good primer too.. Me too! I've read several times here that primer is the-must-have but where to find one for dry skin? They all seem to 'absorb skin oils' (ie Signature's) but that's not what I need because I have dry and sensitive skin. Or is it so that there is not such a product for those who have dry skin? Don't they need one??

I love the Aubrey Nicole Advanced Gel Primer.

I have sensitive skin, and this is really wonderful!

Back