-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Tightlacing...Extreme Measures To Get a Small Waist

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 30 OFFLINE   ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Joined 16-February 08

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

I've always thought this practice to be a very dangerous fetish. What do you think?

Tightlacing (also called corset training and waist training) is the practice of wearing a tightly-laced corset to achieve extreme modifications to the figure and posture and experience the sensations of a very tight corset. Those who practice tightlacing are called tightlacers. Some tightlacers call the corsets they wear training corsets.

The most frequent aim of tightlacing is a slim waist. Depending on the silhouette desired, the shape of the ribcage may be altered as well. Wearing a corset can also change the bustline, by raising the breasts upwards and shaping them, flattening the stomach, and improving posture. However, these effects are only temporary and will be lost on removing the corset. Indeed, excessive corset wearing has been claimed to weaken certain muscles, making it more difficult to maintain posture without a corset.

Although some tightlacers aim to get their waists as small as possible, others prefer to reduce their waists to a certain point and go no further as they consider that proportion and aesthetics are more important than achieving the smallest possible measurement. For example, cross-dressing males often seek to create a more feminine-appearing waistline through tightlacing, but do not want to make their waists too small, as this would look unnatural.

Modern tightlacing is a minority interest, often associated with fetishistic interest in the corset and BDSM. The majority of tightlacers are women, although some men also tightlace (see in particular cross-dressing).

Tightlacers typically wear a corset for at least 12 hours a day, every day, when they are most active, although some tightlacers wear corsets for up to 23 hours a day, taking the corset off only in order to bathe.

Tightlacers usually have a partner, called a trainer, to help and support them. However, it is possible (although very difficult) for somebody to tightlace without a partner. (Tightlacers are often—but not necessarily—in a sexual and/or loving relationship with their trainer.)

A partner might take on any of the following tasks:
help the tightlacer put on and take off the corset, especially tightening the laces
help him or her follow through with the training schedule
monitor the tightlacer's health
monitor body changes and keep a log

A typical training routine begins with the use of a well-fitted corset (most serious tightlacers have at least one custom–tailored corset) and very gradual decreases in the waist circumference. Lacing too tight too fast can cause extreme discomfort and potential short-term problems such as shortness of breath and faintness, indigestion, and chafing of the skin.

The primary effect of tightlacing is the decreased size of the waist. The smallest waist recorded is that of Ethel Granger, who tightlaced for most of her life and achieved a waist of thirteen inches: a reduction of over ten inches. Such extreme reductions take a very long time to achieve. At first, corsets with waist measurements four inches smaller than the tightlacer's natural waist size are recommended. The length of time it will take a tightlacer to get used to this reduction will vary on his or her physiology; a large amount of fat on the torso and strong abdominal muscles will mean that it takes longer for the tightlacer to wear their corset laced closed at the back. Thereafter, reducing another couple of inches is not much more difficult, but each inch after a six-inch reduction can take a year to achieve.

The diminished waist and tight corset reduce the volume of the torso. This is sometimes reduced even further by styles of corset that force the torso to taper towards the waist, which pushes the lower ribs inwards. As a consequence, internal organs are moved closer together and out of their original positions in a way similar to the way that a pregnant woman's expanding uterus causes the organs to be displaced.

The volume of the lungs diminishes and the tightlacer tends to breathe intercostally – that is, with the upper portion of the lungs only, rather that the whole (see shallow breathing). Intercostal breathing is what gives the image of "heaving bosoms". Due to the lower portion of the lungs being used less there is often a mucosal build-up there; a slight and persistent cough is the sign of the body trying to clear this (and might also have led to the Victorian hypothesis that corsets caused tuberculosis).

The liver is pressed upwards. As it continually renews itself, it adapts to fit its new position, and in a long-term tightlacer it can develop ridges where it rests against the ribs. It is also possible that tightlacing exacerbates the tendency of some livers to develop accessory lobes, to the point where the accessory lobe becomes as large as the main portion of the liver. The point where the lobe and liver connect can be quite thin, and again, this might have led to one of the Victorian myths about tightlacing: that a tightlacer can wear her corset so tight that it "cuts" her liver in half.

The compression of the stomach reduces its volume, and tightlacers find that eating too much gives them indigestion and heartburn; foods like carbonated drinks and beans can easily cause trapped wind. The compression of the intestines can cause constipation. Many tightlacers will alter their diet in order to avoid these problems.

Theoretically, it is possible to fracture the ribs through tightlacing, although the necessary pressure would be brutal and the tightlacer would feel acute pain.

Source

#Post 2 of 30 OFFLINE   Karren

Karren

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,597 posts
  • Joined 01-June 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

That's amazing... and doesn't look healthy at all.... moving your organs around and all... If I wear my corsett for days in a row I do notice a slimming effect.... But I would never push it to that extreme!!!.
Karren on Facebook
Photos
Proud member of the National Sarcasm Society... Like we need your support!!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

#Post 3 of 30 OFFLINE   StereoXGirl

StereoXGirl

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,495 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

If it's done wrong, it can cause serious problems. Even if it's done right, it can cause organs to shift, fainting from lack of oxygen, and other problems.

#Post 4 of 30 OFFLINE   Maysie

Maysie

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Joined 05-March 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Interesting that people choose to take this to such an extreme. That photo of the lady doesn't look good at all, yuck. But hey to each their own I guess.

#Post 5 of 30 OFFLINE   S. Lisa Smith

S. Lisa Smith

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Joined 13-September 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
That's amazing... and doesn't look healthy at all.... moving your organs around and all... If I wear my corsett for days in a row I do notice a slimming effect.... But I would never push it to that extreme!!!.
Me too...

#Post 6 of 30 OFFLINE   Darla

Darla

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,619 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

I read when this was a common practice during Victorian times that the back muscles would sometimes atrophy and that the corset would be necessary to maintain posture before injury was inflicted. Yes that is extreme, but there are people who do that today. I think past a certain point it is not all that attractive.

I have one too Karren, but after a while it has to come off.

#Post 7 of 30 OFFLINE   Ashley

Ashley

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Joined 13-February 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

It doesn't appeal to me. It reminds me of the foot-binding pictures.

#Post 8 of 30 OFFLINE   pinksugar

pinksugar

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

well, I like a small waist but that picture is totally unattractive and over the top.

I agree that it can be a dangerous pastime...

I think corsets are sexy, but only if they don't go to that extreme. My waist is naturally pretty small so with a corset on, my waist would be about 23 inches or so? maybe less? naturally, mine is about 25-6 inches. I certainly wouldn't want to winch it in any smaller than that.. she looks like she'd topple over in a stiff breeze

(I should add, I don't own a corset, and I'd only buy one for a big event like my wedding, or as part of a formal gown. Certainly never wear one every day!)

#Post 9 of 30 OFFLINE   Nox

Nox

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  • Joined 10-March 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

I own a few custom made corsets that take me from 26" to 20", and I love them for costume parties and going out at night. While I do like the somewhat 'pulled in' look they give, I do realize that there comes a point to which the tightlacing has less of a wider aesthetic appeal.

Generally, it stops looking good when your waist is equal to or smaller than the circumference of your thigh. Those kind of proportions are just too impossible to even look remotely attractive (imo).

#Post 10 of 30 OFFLINE   Kookie-for-COCO

Kookie-for-COCO

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Joined 12-November 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

Great article

#Post 11 of 30 OFFLINE   luxotika

luxotika

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Joined 18-March 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

That just does not look comfortable at all to me!
Luxotika

#Post 12 of 30 OFFLINE   daer0n

daer0n

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

OMG that is just NOT healthy looking! That more than sexy looks scary, i don't like it :/
I think a little bit of waist is good, going to those extremes is just not right, that looks a little bit TOO tight. ugh, it looks like she can barely breathe!

#Post 13 of 30 OFFLINE   kaylin_marie

kaylin_marie

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Joined 20-April 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Crazy, I love corsets, but not when they're so tight it's uncomfortable or you can't breath, and heaven forbid causes your organs to move around.

So not worth it.

I was checking out some sites and some of that stuff is pretty interesting

Dita who a lot of us love is aparently an experienced tightlacer

Says tightlacing gave betty page her trademark figure

Some of the pictures of girls I saw on there were waaay too extreme and some were really gross looking. But TBH some of them are sexy, the ones that aren't extreme.

#Post 14 of 30 OFFLINE   Lia

Lia

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

I like the small waist thing (but not too much), but i think i'd be too lazy to wear a corset everyday.

I'm like Rosie, have a small waist (in proportion to my body - but i got fatter, so it's not so small nowadays).

#Post 15 of 30 OFFLINE   ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Joined 16-February 08

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Generally, it stops looking good when your waist is equal to or smaller than the circumference of your thigh. Those kind of proportions are just too impossible to even look remotely attractive (imo).
I totally agree! It is all about proportion.

#Post 16 of 30 OFFLINE   beaglette

beaglette

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

I despise tight clothes. I mean, if it's a bit binding, I just about freak out. I wear my clothes too big, I know. I think part of that is related to not having clothes big enough to fit me when I was 500 lbs. Everything was always tight because, well, clothes to fit a 5'8" 500 lbs. woman ain't easy to come by. I think I'm revolting against that and going the opposite way-- I can find clothes that fit loose now so LOOSE IT IS! Ha!

I think I'd die if I wore a corset.

Warmly,

Brandi
VERY proud SAHM to the most gorgeous kidlets on the planet!1- 11 year old son, 1- 10 year old daughter, 1- 5 year old daughter, 1- 18 month old daughter& Noah Grayson born March 21, 2008! http://www.bmusing.comWhen I worked in corporate America, I didn't go to work to win friends and influence...

#Post 17 of 30 OFFLINE   Karren

Karren

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,597 posts
  • Joined 01-June 07

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

I'd have the figure of a guy if I didn't wear one, Brandi... lol
Karren on Facebook
Photos
Proud member of the National Sarcasm Society... Like we need your support!!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

#Post 18 of 30 OFFLINE   jdepp_84

jdepp_84

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
Interesting that people choose to take this to such an extreme. That photo of the lady doesn't look good at all, yuck. But hey to each their own I guess.
I agree. I dont think it looks attractive at all. But some probably like it.
"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up."

#Post 19 of 30 OFFLINE   beaglette

beaglette

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
I'd have the figure of a guy if I didn't wear one, Brandi... lol
lol!

I admire someone who goes to extremes for beauty. Seriously!! Like gals who wear heels or too-tight shoes! Oh man, I don't know how those gals hike around all day long in high heels (ok, I'm talking anything over 2.5"- yes I'm a wussy.. ha!) But even more so those gals that wear heels like 4" tall allllll day long. Corsets fall under that category too! I'd have so much excess skin hanging over the corset, people would look, point, stare and laugh and say "how did that woman GET SOOO deformed????" ha! Little children would be poking their eyes out while running scared the other way

Oh and yeah, the current Guiness world record holder for the smallest waist did that whole corset thing. I read about her in my son's Guiness Book of World Records book and then I saw her on 20/20. Not to be rude but, she looked so-not-good.

Warmly,

Brandi
VERY proud SAHM to the most gorgeous kidlets on the planet!1- 11 year old son, 1- 10 year old daughter, 1- 5 year old daughter, 1- 18 month old daughter& Noah Grayson born March 21, 2008! http://www.bmusing.comWhen I worked in corporate America, I didn't go to work to win friends and influence...

#Post 20 of 30 OFFLINE   Anthea

Anthea

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • Joined 20-September 07

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

I like a small waistline but that is most unattractive, and the damage it can do to your organs is another issue entirly.

For a guy I'm a lucky to have a little bit of a natural waistline, me being transgender. So I usually dont wear a corset. I do have 1 corset but I usually wear it on strapless outfits in place of a strapless bra as strapless bras tend to eventually slide down on me lol

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it