Hi gang! Any mica-sentitives here?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just registered!
yey.gif

My name is Linda and I an mica sentitive
sadyes.gif
. It took me at least 15 years to figure out why my eyelids would often become red and swollen, after trying mineral makeup (which I thought would solve my prob) I discovered the mica in makeup (especially eyeshadow) had been causing my problems. I have been using mica-free eyeshadow (Cory and Raesin Images) ever since with no eye problems
icon_biggrin.gif
. I swithced to mica-free mineral foundation as well, although I seem to be able to tolerate some mica on my face, I figure I'm better off avoiding it alltogether.

I am bummed that more companies do not offer products without mica. I have been limited to basically the two companies listed above, neither of which has been *completely* satisfactory, but I don't have too many alternatives, especially for eyeshadow.

Just wondering if there is anyone else on the board that is sensitive to mica - what products do you use, and have you had good luck with them.

Look forward to chatting with you all!

Illuminare, www.illuminarecosmetics.com(a different company entirely than Lumiere, they sometimes get confused) appears to have mica free AllDay eye colors. They are in a tube and very thick, kind of tricky to apply but once you get the technique down this stuff won't budge!!! Their foundations also appear to be mica free.

Are you positive it is the mica? or could it be the bismuth?

I have heard of much sensitivity and allergic reactions to the bismuth but never heard anything in regards to the mica.

Originally Posted by Bee Luscious /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you positive it is the mica? or could it be the bismuth?
I have heard of much sensitivity and allergic reactions to the bismuth but never heard anything in regards to the mica.

Yes, it's definitely the mica. Bismuth in foundation makes my face itch, and I've never tried an eyeshadow with bismuth because I know it irritates my face.
Ever since my teenage years I've had problems with eyeshadow irritating my eyelids. I though it might be the bright dyes at first, but even using neutral drugstore shadows would eventually cause the same problem. In frustration I tried MMU, figuring it had no dyes or preservatives so it would help me identify the culprit. When I sampled the Monave eyeshadows (with mica and no bismuth) my eyelids swelled and turned red within a few hours. The only thing in there that I suspected was mica, so after that I tried mica-free shadows and I haven't had a problem since (almost 10 years now). In fact, just a few weeks ago I got some free shadow samples with mica in them and tried them again. Sure enough, within 1/2 hour my eyelids were swelling!

What's strange is I only have severe mica sensitivity on my eyelids - I can tolerate *some* matte face products with mica, though I try to avoid them because of my eye problem. It really stinks because I have so few choices, but thank goodness for MMU otherwise I wouldn't be able to wear eyeshadow at all!

I can't wear eye shadows with mica in them either. My eyelid turns red in the crease in about 4 hours. I can wear mica on my face. I can't wear bismuth in foundation either. It makes me itch.

I think you are far from the only one. Mica however is a predominant color to use in mmu as well as serecite mica which is a base for many foundations. This is probably why it's harder to find mica free colors.

Jenn

maybe u can try making your own eyeshadows instead? You can try mixing oxides, it won't give you anything shimmery but it's mica free!

Latest posts

Back