Concealer - darker, lighter or the same?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What shade do you actually need in a concealer - darker or lighter than skin/foundation? Or do you require the same shade?

I use NW20 in concealer (select moisturecover) but, usually, NW15 in foundation. I've been told not to use a lighter shade because it only emphasizes dark areas, etc. But, I've also been told not to use a darker shade, like I'm doing now.

I'm so confused lol - I would also love to know what colour to use. If salmon/pink is the best shade, why don't MAC do one?

One last thing - would I use the same shade concealer for covering my dark circles (under eyes) as I would for covering, say, a pimple or blemish?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Generally concealer is lighter than foundation, and one shade lighter than your skintone. Although, some say it should be the same color as your skintone.

I prefer doing it the same color as the skin tone but in a salmon shade.

i could not tell you why mac doesnt make one cause i really only buy mac eye shadows.

as for concealing other parts i use a diffrent concealer, cause my under eye circles come out greenish-purple so i use the red-ish concealier. where as blemishes come up red so that conceiler would ust ecenuate it. i know a lot of people say you are suposed to use the green in those cases but i just use one shade lighter than go over it with my foundation.

For covering reddish spots, I use a concealer that matches the depth of my skin but is slightly yellower (yellow works to cancel out red, but is softer and easier to blend than a green can be).

For under my eyes, I use a concealer that is the same or just *slightly* deeper than my skintone. I'm super pale, so there really isn't anything lighter than my skin, unless i go white white, and that looks goofy. Also, my undereye are is slightly blue but paler than the rest of my face, so going a little deeper works well for me, balances that area with the rest of my face.

For covering spots, I'd recommend the shade closes to your skin color.

For undereye, a shade lighter. People say a shade lighter in concealer but it always looks so odd when covering blemishes!

you're supposed to use concealer lighter than your skintone because it's supposed to balance out your dark circles. i also have concealers that are the same color. but when i use the concealer that is lighter than my skin, i always go over it with foundation.

I do use a shade lighter covering a blemish, but I put loose powder over my face anyways, so I think it turns out pretty even. I don't use powder under my eyes cause it only makes it super dry and old.
frown.gif
Just liquid concealer from L'oreal.

I never use lighter b/c I just end up looking pasty.
lol.gif
It might work if you have medium/darker skin though.

i think it is good to go a little lighter if you have to... but i like to get the same color... i use Prescriptives foundation and conceler, which match perfectly together... Px makes it so easy...

Hi:

My favorite concealers are by Eve Pearl (salmon based) and Kryolan's DermaColor (which is a paramedical concealor). Both of these items are kept in my pro mua kit. As mentioned earlier, the best thing to do is find one with good coverage.

Originally Posted by Leza1121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi:
My favorite concealers are by Eve Pearl (salmon based) and Kryolan's DermaColor (which is a paramedical concealor). Both of these items are kept in my pro mua kit. As mentioned earlier, the best thing to do is find one with good coverage.

I think the Eve Pearl concealer is the one I've been looking for - I'm pretty sure I saw it on a YouTube video and she was explaining how green concealers don't work with 'blue' looking dark areas, etc. I don't think we can get her range here, though
frown.gif

Thanks to everyone for your advice
biggrin.gif

I have a 3 different colored mineral concealers, peach-colored, green and yellow, which I use for different purposes. The green one corrects the redness, the peach one is for my pigmented spots and scars and the yellow one is for the under-eye area.

the three concealers ColdDayInHell referenced are my three staple concealers as well. i can't live without green concealer.

Back