How Do You Straighten Your Hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm writing this as I'm straightening my hair - which I really dread.

So, what do you do and use ... do you straighten it while dry or still a bit wet? How long does it usually take you?

List your products (if you remember) and your specific hair type/length.

Are you satisfied with the ending results?

------

I use a mixture of different products because just ONE never worked for me.

Right now I'm using:

Paul Mitchell - Super Skinny Serum

A tiny bit of Softee - Herbal Oirl

Nexxus - Heat Protexx Spray

I straighten it with my Con-Air round blow dryer and a lame Remington straightner. All while my hair is a bit damp and air drying. Takes me about an hour if I'm rushing or 2 hours if I'm reallly lazy and stopping for breaks.

I have a bit coarse/tight curly hair - very thick and a below my shoulders.

And my end results are decent but never last due to humidity - which I hate with a passion. By the end of the day, it looks like crap. I think it's due to the styling tools I have.

I have fine thin hair that is what i would call a tight wave. more than a wave but not quite a curl, (the pieces that do curl just go into the big bannanna curls or look like i did them with a hot iron)

i also use more than one product cause even with my super easy hair one product just does not cut it.

Bed head leave in conditioner

Got-2-Be heat protectant shield

those both go on my hair wet than i blow dry or let it air dry, and than once completely dry (or if i am air drying when my roots are still just barely damp)

after i put in either smoothing milk by garnier frutice if i am going for a sleek look or johnothan product dirt for when i want more volume

A little pre-face:

I dont do much of anything with my hair often. My mom is visibly losing her hair, my sister's hair is an overcolored extremely dried out and stringy mess. I decided to just leave my hair be for the mostpart. So when I style it, its few and far between.

My friend got me a straightener for xmas after I got my hair cut and styled with a straightener that left a bit or a curve at the end. I loved how shiny it looked (altho my hair has always been shiny) and I wanted to try it myself.

I have only done it once though...it takes waaaay too long and Im for the mostpart a get-up-and-go girl LOL

I did it with clean air dried hair, took a section at a time from back to front bottom up.

No product.

It was shiny and it was straight but maybe a bit too straight for me
smile.gif
I never liked the hair plastered to the head look myself and I could NEVER do the deliberate ratting of the hair to get body (sorry if that sounds bad haha I dont know the terminology for it.

I have average hair I guess...its not thick or thin but it is healthy & uncolored.

I know you're probably not looking for my response, cause our hair texture is diff.

I have thick (used to be 4x's thicker, but it comes out sometimes, not in a bad way), coarse and kina wavy (the ugly waves), like La India Maria if you get what I mean.

I don't do anything actually, I just shampoo and condtion, blowdry as straight as I can w/ my brush, I use a smaller one so I can handle it better. And then I use a hair straightner I have from Remington. Some of it in the back of my head will stay a little wavy, but I can deal w/ it. I don't really care,

Sometimes my hair just dries straight if I allow it to air dry after combing.

Other times, there's a slight wave in it, so I just run it through a straightening iron very quickly. I only do this when it is completely dry. Takes like, 5 minutes.

But I prefer to curl my hair, and that takes 20. Curly-haired girls want straight hair, and straight-haired girls want curls! Or at least I do.
smile.gif

My hair is short, thin, and wavy. If I let my hair dry naturally, I use a thermal spray (either V05 Heat Defense Conditioning Spray or Sunsilk Therma Shine Detangling Shine Spray) and straighten my hair with my Sedu flat iron. If my hair is wet, I blow dry before I flat iron.

-shower

-aveda's: Hang Straight Straightening Lotion, BrilliantTM Damage Control, Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother

-leave hair as is and go to sleep (i take a shower at night so i can let my hair air dry and sleep longer in the morning)

-wake up, and style hair with hair straightener

-put on paul mitchell's gloss drops on bottom half of hair to make it shiney and get rid of last of frizz, and vs's so sexy high def. illuminating pomade (teeny tiny bit) on top of hair to prevent humudity from killing it.

I have thick naturally curly hair....When its still wet i put its a 10 in my hiar then I use pureology straightening serum...then I blow dry it some and either straighten it partially wet or let it air dry and use my T3 straightener .....I finish off with some shine gloss...I hate straightening my hair its such a pain but I love the look of it straight.....

I should add I have the t3 wet to dry so i can straighten it wet nad it doesn't burn my hair

Products:

Vita 5 CPR phase 1: smoothing frizz control (leave in moisturiser & solar protection)

Vita 5 CPR silky fx phase 2: smoothing and controlling serum

CHI volume booster

CHI pliable polish.

GHD hair styler (straightener)

My hair is quite fine, but there's lots of it, it's naturally straight, but I just love the way that your hair looks when it's been straightened, it makes you look more "polished". I'd say that it takes me about..15 minutes.

If I have the time, I'll wash my hair first and then apply both the CPR products to my damp hair. Then I would spray my roots with the CHI volume booster (so my hair doesn't sit completely flat when it's straight, gotta have a bit of volume!) and blow dry, THEN straighten my hair using my GHD, then apply the CHI pliable gloss.

If my hair is already dry, then I'll just spray my hair with a heat protection spray and then straighten away, or sometimes if I don't feel like going through that whole process I just explained, then I will skip the hair straightener part and just blowdry it straight with a round brush.

I straighten my hair when it's completley dried (a friend of mine straightened her hair when it was damp and ended up scorching her hair)

I don't tend to use product every time I wash my hair because I find that most straightening products make my hair a bit greasy so I only use them every now and then (maybe once or twice a week)

I use: Loreal Paris Studio Line Heat-activated Straightening Cream

Elvive Anti-Frizz Serum (you only need a tiny bit and it makes my hair a lot smoother and easier to straighten!)

Mark Hill Chocolate Expresso Straightening Balm (it's technically for brown hair and when I bought it I had brown hair. Now that I have red hair I still use it occassionally and it doesn't do anything to my color.)

the key to straightening is the amazing GHD tool. It is amazing. I didn't want to spend the $$$$..but NEVER has my hair been so perfectly straight and glossy. Check it out!

To get it really straight i actually air dry mine and then i run a hair straightner through it. I put some serum on afterwards but i don't do this often as i hardly ever put my hair down

I have shoulder length, curly-wavy damaged hair.

The best thing I ever did was had layers cut into the bottom 3 inches of my length.

Now when I straighten my hair, I don't have that poufy triangle look anymore.

Right after I wash and condition - I use Pantene moisture products, I smosh in a good drop of got2b glossy serum, then comb through.

I blow dry my bangs straight, but let the rest of my hair air dry.

Then I flat iron using got2b flat iron lotion.

Not that the summer and humidity is approaching, I'll forgo the flat ironing and wear my hair in a braid or ponytail.

But I will always blowdry the bangs straight!

Lately, I just section it off and blow dry until completely dry and then I'll straighten it. Of course, using a ceramic iron.

I straighten my hair with a flat iron sometimes when it's dry and sometimes when it's damp.

Usually takes me a good 45 min to an hour to do it correctly. 30 min when i don't give a crap.

The end results in my opinion look kinda crappy! LOL

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes my hair just dries straight if I allow it to air dry after combing.Other times, there's a slight wave in it, so I just run it through a straightening iron very quickly. I only do this when it is completely dry. Takes like, 5 minutes.

Same for me, I always air dry my hair though.

My hair is very long- past my elbows, slightly wavy and thick. My shampoo and conditioner are Redken All Soft (and occasionally their deep conditioner Heavy Cream), I do not use a leave in, maybe some Frizz Ease while my hair is wet. I try not to blowdry it because it takes FOREVER... But, when I do I use a Super Solano.

I like my hair to airdry overnight and then in the morning I use my CHI 2" flatiron. It was like $180 but is much less damaging that other irons I have used. My hair always looks shiny and stays straight. I try to have my hair completely dry, but truthfully sometimes it is still damp when I straighten it! BTW my hair has never been colortreated...

I just use a regular hair brush and my flat iron, and nothing else, it works great and it leaves my hair super straight for a week, that if i dont wash my hair of course.

It takes me 15 mins if my hair is wet, and about 8 mins when its dry.

And i love the results, i occasionally use Sunsilk Straighten Up 24/7 Heat Defense Cream, only rarely though, i don't really use it very much at all, maybe once a month.

If I know I'm gonna wear my hair completely straight, I use Pantene Smooth and Sleek shampoo and conditioner beforehand. Then, I towel dry, blow dry, and then when it's about 90% dry I use my sedu. Some days I use a little frizz-ease serum to smooth things down, especially in the summer.

My hair is medium thickness and naturally wavy.

I follow few methods to straighten my medium size hair.

1) Use lemon juice before washing hair.

2) Apply Sunsilk shampoo for fragrance, shiny and dry hair

3) Use curly comb and hair dryer in order to straigten the hair.

Latest posts

Back