Sunscreen for the Face

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every single sunscreen I have tried, breaks me out.

So this year I spent 30 mins in store, trying to choose a good sunscreen that is safe for the face.

I decided on Coppertone Oil Free won't clog pores, sunscreen...it's safe for babies too!

Well I have used it 3 times, and I have broken out worse then I ever have in my life! My skin look terrible!

I usually have slightly dry, but clear even skin. But now, it's all red, blotchy, uneven toned, and covered in zits!!! Really bad, and its very very oily now!

GRRR!!!! I'm so mad!! Seriously!

It's going to take weeks to get my skin rebalanced, and until then I have no sunscreen to use!

What kind of sunblock do you ladies use on your face? Do you break out from it?

Aw...Sorry to hear that.

I have used Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 for 2 years and I really like it. It smells really good, protects me from the sun, looks smooth under my make up. I don't know if you tried it or not, but it doesn't break me out ( I have oily sensitive skin and used to have acne).

I use Aveeno positively radiant moisturizer with is spf 15uva/uvb as my every day moisturizer. They also have a spf 30 that I use on my face and neck in the summer.

Have you determined what in sunscreen is breaking you out?

Maybe one of the new spray on ones would be less clogging?

Clean & Clear Oil-Free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15 works wonders for me. I get nasty big huge underground pimples if I use anything else. Plus, it doesn't give me that super gnarly burning if it's near my eyes like other combo moisturizer/suncreen products do.

Ladies thank you so much for all of the replies
smile.gif
Seriously! You guys rock!

Quote:
I have used Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 for 2 years and I really like it. It smells really good, protects me from the sun, looks smooth under my make up. I don't know if you tried it or not, but it doesn't break me out ( I have oily sensitive skin and used to have acne). I think I may give this a try. The coppertone one I tried is an SPF 45, 55 would be even better!
smile.gif

Quote:
I use Aveeno positively radiant moisturizer with is spf 15uva/uvb as my every day moisturizer. They also have a spf 30 that I use on my face and neck in the summer. I tried Aveeno and it causes me to break out as well.
frown.gif
Shame I like some of there other products!

Quote:
Katana, since every sunscreen is causing you to break out, I think it might be because you are not washing it off properly. Since most sunscreens are water resistant, you must make sure to use a really good oil based cleanser. I washed my face with a makeup remover wipe, and then soap and water, like I usually do. Is that not enough? I know it was quite hot outside during the day but that usually doesn't cause me to break out!

Quote:
Clean & Clear Oil-Free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15 works wonders for me. I will definitely have a look at this one as well. I really like Clean & Clear products, and have found they work very well. I have a few friends I have gotten into there products as well. I didn't know they made sunblock.
Thank you ladies for your replies!
smile.gif

katana - that might not be enough. If you can, try something like the oil cleansing method and then maybe a foaming cleanser after if you don't like oil.

I use the Shiseido sunscreen too, and I love it.

I've used sunscreen on my face twice this week and it broke me out. I was so effin' mad because I haven't had big breakouts since early in the year. And I wash my face pretty good and even put prescribed acne treatments.

Maybe finding a face moisturizer with spf? Makeup brands with spf products never broke me out... not like actual sunscreen.

I use Dermalogica ultra sensitive faceblock spf 25 on my face. I have sensitive skin and this one does not break me out.

Sunscreens usually make me break out so I used to not wear them at all. But then now I'm using Shiseido Suncare Gentle Protection SPF33 and I haven't broken out once. (I've been using it for about 4-5 months now.)

Shiseido sunscreen is a physical sunblock (it's got titanium dioxide and zinc dioxide as active ingredients) so I think maybe I've been reacting to chemical sunscreens because they actually penetrate my skin to work... and I've checked, and most sunscreens out there are chemical sunscreens.

that's a real bummer! i use derma e anti aging moisture complex w/spf 15. finding a good sunscreen was the hardest product for me to find. i went through about 3 before i found a good one. i hope you find something that works!

Oh and i have been also using Eucerin Protection Lotion SPF30 for sensitive skin, for 2 years and it is good as same as Shiseido. =) It is cheap also.

I too have issues with sunscreen. The only ones I've found so far that don't break me out (or look greasy) for my face are Clinique's super city block and Px's All Weather Friend. I use Neutrogena Sheer on my body.

Good luck in your search!

Sunscreen doesn't so much break me out as it makes me look terrible in every photograph. Really embarrasing.

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 70 with no problems. It's not greasy. The only thing is I have to rub it well into my skin otherwise it'll leave a white cast.

i have used several bottles of La Roche Posay sunscreens in the "fluide extreme" range (i even used the body version on my face) and never had any problem with it.

i currently use Vichy, a sunscreen named "capital soleil". i really like it, although it tends to make me look white.

Latest posts

Back