Bleached my black hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now i posted a thread about 2 weeks ago about asking for ideas wetha or not i shuld DIY bleach my BLACK hair at home. I was worried that i would stuff it up... But i decided to try it anyway. So i went to price attack (a hair salon/ shop for hair products) and they suggested a hair stripper and 20 vol peroxide bleach stuff and then the white powder and goldwel purple based toner. They told me that it prob wouldnt lift and that i wouldnt get results straight away but i was determined lol. So i did a bad thing and bleached it 4 times in 3 days the first bleaching it went a light brown. Very pretty. And then it went a filthy red, then orange and now the colour i have now.. like a light blonde/yellow colour. I got advised to buy manic panic hair dye virgin snow white toner. So i did i ordered it off ebay and im just waiting for it to arrive. My hair is in ok condition considering what i put it through! Except that when i washed the last lot of bleach out sum of my hair snapped off. And it goes like elastic when wet. I have been told to condition to the max. Has anyone bleached there hair. Or had experiences like this? Im quiet happy on how fast it lifted i just cant wait to get my white toner in!

I wonder why they suggested a 20 vol? I would have gone with a 30... But anyway, to answer your question, you definitely need to keep it well conditioned. A protein treatment twice a week for a couple of weeks, and then once a week afterwards will be your best bet.

Most of them should say it somewhere predominately. I would recommend ApHogee's two step protein treatment. If you can't find that, the beauty supply that you went to should have some, and give you their best advice on the specific products they sell.

i LOVE ApHogee's two step protein treatment and Joico-K reconstruct products.. your hair is now damaged from all the bleaching and it needs to be repaired and deep conditioned!

i once killed my hair so bad it was like elastic when it was wet. when i would brush it, little pieces would break off =/ it looks pretty gross. now it's healing and repairing
smile.gif

Ooohh Ahhhh snappage. I probably wouldn't have bleached my hair that many times in such a small time span.. but hey, I guess you were determined. Definitely keep it well conditioned, one of my favourite conditioning treatments is Redkens All Soft Heavy Cream, I used this a lot when I went from black to blonde hair (though I did mine gradually, it still got verrrrrry dry) and it worked wonders. I just it twice a week.

I also used products from the Vita 5 line. CPR phase 1, it's a leave in hair moisturiser, and I just wacked it in my wet hair after washing it, it does wonders, I still use it. You can get that from Price Attack, it's relatively inexpensive. You should be able to get the Redken product from there as well, if not, here is a great site I have ordered it from before.

Fountain Cosmetics - Product Details

Hope that helps! Can we see a piccy of your new hair?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Makeupobsession /img/forum/go_quote.gif My hair is in ok condition considering what i put it through! Except that when i washed the last lot of bleach out sum of my hair snapped off. And it goes like elastic when wet. I have been told to condition to the max. Your hair is severely damaged if it is breaking off and elastic when wet - as others have said you need to condition the heck out of it and a protein treatment may be helpful. Be extremely careful using any other haircolor products needing peroxide (semi-permanents are OK) because you've already damaged your hair and you don't want to damage it further. Hopefully your hair will grow out OK but I have a bad feeling you'll need to be trimming a lot of the damage off in the future. Good luck!

Originally Posted by horsienut /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your hair is severely damaged if it is breaking off and elastic when wet - as others have said you need to condition the heck out of it and a protein treatment may be helpful. Be extremely careful using any other haircolor products needing peroxide (semi-permanents are OK) because you've already damaged your hair and you don't want to damage it further. Hopefully your hair will grow out OK but I have a bad feeling you'll need to be trimming a lot of the damage off in the future. Good luck! Ditto... And beware of future breakage even when it seems healthy. My sister loved bleaching her hair and then coloring it in the same day... Problem is, she was putting herself at risk in the future, and she's lucky she didn't lose her hair at all. I bleached once, and then colored it 2x within 24 hours. Needless to say, I lost a nice chunk of hair to about an inch in length... TG it was in the center of my head UNDER hair. I seriously think bleach is something better left to professionals because of all the risks involved with damaged hair/breakage.

I used to bleach my dark hair in high school. It was almost white....My hair would break off too, so I just really tried to keep it healthy with deep conditioners and sleeping with conditioner in. But then again I used this stuff called "Maxi-blond" and "Ultra Blue". I'm sure they weren't the best to use! Haha.

If I may hijack for a moment....

Is your hair naturally black? or did you have black coloured dye in?

Could I, for example, lighten my hair with the same type of product? I want to lighten it but because it's got permanent colour in it I'm terrified it will go orange or some weird colour if I try!

Rosie, you can definately lighten your hair with the same stuff. Your hair looks like it could take to lighter colours well. I personally think unless you're an old hand at it, if you want to lighten/bleach your hair, than going to a hairdresser is your best bet, you can do too much damage at home.

wow,i've never been in a situation like that before!!!

im considering bleaching my reddish/brown hair to a super light "playboy model" hair color. But all the sh** i put my hair through when getting it to the reddish brown color,i don't know if i'd have any hair left!!!!! although my hair is very strong and healthy,it might not make it!!

Im thinking about going to a salon when i get some moolah saved up.

Yeah.. just make sure to not brush it when bleached. It'll do the snap elastic thing so be gentle.

my hair was dyed black.. im naturally like a strawberry blonde/orange... i brought new shampoo and conditioner today its called jhirmack its blue and it says on the bottle for gray, blonde, bleached or highlighted hair silver brightening shampoo and conditioner.

My roots and half way down my head r fine now its just then ends. My toner i orderd in the mail manic panic snow white shuld arive 2morr or the next day so it shuld b all fine. As for the elastic hair it isnt as bad today....

Your lucky your hair lived through all that!

You should share some before and after pictures!

Keep up with moisturizing shampoo, conditioners, and deep treatments.

Id suggest using a comb instead of a brush if you aren't already. Wide tooth combs are gentler on the hair and gentler for taking out knots without snapping your hair off.

Fudge products are great, I like 1 shot+ and dynamite, they help keep my hair in great condition. For shampoo I really like Redken's Blonde Glam and the All Soft conditioner.

I wish I could have advised you not to bleach your hair before you did it haha! Mine's been through a similar ordeal. I dyed it from black to white blonde, and then experimented with Manic Panic colours (which are amazing, by the way. Because they're completely Vegan dyes they don't damage your hair at all) but then all the bleaching got to my hair so I dyed it brown. I got sick of it so fast and have recently dyed it blonde again after about three months of brown. While the three month break did do my hair some good, it's now falling out and snapping at every opportunity! Tell me if you come across any really brilliant methods of repairing dryness and damage!

So far I've noticed that deep conditioning treatments work really well, but only as a temporary fix - but that's probably obvious haha. My advice if you're in need of a quick fix to keep your hair feeling nice and stop snapping for a while would be to try Pantene Pro V 3 minute miracle treatment. I used that to make my hair look and feel semi normal for a wedding I had to go to haha.

I haven't yet discovered any really good treatments, so any help you could also lend me would be amazing hahaha!

hi its not like elastic any more its great.. at the start wen i was doing the regrowth it was bad.. but now its fine.. i can do the regrowth and then some and nothing breaks off now.. i think it jus takes time..

i used kpack protein treatment costs about 25 bux but it is soo worth it!

and now i use a silver spray and that has protein in it too.. :)

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif If I may hijack for a moment....
Is your hair naturally black? or did you have black coloured dye in?

Could I, for example, lighten my hair with the same type of product? I want to lighten it but because it's got permanent colour in it I'm terrified it will go orange or some weird colour if I try!

iagree.gif
with what Bec688... I wouldn't do it at home.
scream3.gif
I have naturally dark hair... I fried my hair stripping all the color out and putting color in. I ended up cutting most of it off it was so bad.
banghead.gif
That is when I learned about the shine serum and spray.
It seems like it was forever to grow out.
screams.gif

Be careful

Originally Posted by Makeupobsession /img/forum/go_quote.gif Now i posted a thread about 2 weeks ago about asking for ideas wetha or not i shuld DIY bleach my BLACK hair at home. I was worried that i would stuff it up... But i decided to try it anyway. So i went to price attack (a hair salon/ shop for hair products) and they suggested a hair stripper and 20 vol peroxide bleach stuff and then the white powder and goldwel purple based toner. They told me that it prob wouldnt lift and that i wouldnt get results straight away but i was determined lol. So i did a bad thing and bleached it 4 times in 3 days the first bleaching it went a light brown. Very pretty. And then it went a filthy red, then orange and now the colour i have now.. like a light blonde/yellow colour. I got advised to buy manic panic hair dye virgin snow white toner. So i did i ordered it off ebay and im just waiting for it to arrive. My hair is in ok condition considering what i put it through! Except that when i washed the last lot of bleach out sum of my hair snapped off. And it goes like elastic when wet. I have been told to condition to the max. Has anyone bleached there hair. Or had experiences like this? Im quiet happy on how fast it lifted i just cant wait to get my white toner in! EWWW breaking off and elastic when wet... Might help to get some of those damage ends cut off. It will still be damaged but a good start to recovery.
You can also go into a salon and get your hair deep conditioned... They will more then likely put conditioner in your hair and put you under heat to make sure it gets deep within the follicles and such.

Back