Home-made Primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening everyone

I hope this question doesnt make me appear cheap, but is it possible to make a home made primer at all?Also can anyone tell me exactly what its purpose is?

The reason im asking is although im 23 i have wore minamil make up for the past few years but recently losng weight and getting contact lenses has massivly helped my confidence and im loving wearing make up now!

I only recently heard about primer and everyone seems to rant about these but i noitce how expensive they are and wondered if i can make my own unless someone can recommend one that does cost the earth?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks

Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. It's what I use, and many people use it and love it. It's $7 or less, and you can find it at any drugstore. There is a sticky dedicated to it, because it is so popular. It's found by the yeast infection creams, even though it isn't for that purpose.

300.jpg

I wonder if we have monistat in oz.

Vicky, the purpose of primer is to smooth and prepare the skin ready for your makeup. It makes it glide on more easily, hides large pores somewhat and helps the makeup to stay looking pristine for much longer

I'm not a fan of most primers because they dont give you enough in the container for your money.

I've used an all-natural lip balm (it wasnt sticky) and it worked just like UDPP. :shrug: I don't really know if it's supposed to. It was one of those super-natural products with just a few ingredients. Forgot where I got it from though.

Sometimes I just moisturize my eye area with a cream and it makes the colors adhere better.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. It's what I use, and many people use it and love it. It's $7 or less, and you can find it at any drugstore. There is a sticky dedicated to it, because it is so popular. It's found by the yeast infection creams, even though it isn't for that purpose.
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/139254/300.jpg

That's really interesting! I've never heard of using that as a primer before.
I don't use primer at all so I can't really help. I just put a tiny dab of the same concealer I use under my eyes onto my lid and blend it in and that seems to work fine
smile.gif

Rosie, I don't think we have monistat here, I've certainly never seen it.

I think I have heard of people using rice powder as a primer? I have also heard of people using aloe vera gel, which is something I have done and it works ok.

xxx

Making your own would probably be fun to try. I think that by the time you purchased the special silicon, extracts and or oils along with any other ingredients and found a recipe that works for you, you would have spent more money than purchasing one of the more reasonable priced ones.

I just discovered Matte It from the Body Shop last week, it was $15 for the tube. It is on the low end of the price scale. I only used it on my eyes but it has worked great so far, it is designed for the face also.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. It's what I use, and many people use it and love it. It's $7 or less, and you can find it at any drugstore. There is a sticky dedicated to it, because it is so popular. It's found by the yeast infection creams, even though it isn't for that purpose.

I use this daily and i love it. Works just as good as high end primers imo.

Avon has a new primer called Magix Face Perfector or something. My mom sells Avon so I bought it off her and I was REALLY impressed with it. The texture of it is almost identical to that of Smashbox Photo Finish (which is one of the most popular primers).... and this Avon one cost $7.99

I am definitely going to try the Monistat out. Rite Aid is on my way home. Thanks!

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can try making your own primer with a glycerin and water mixture. It's inexpensive. was wondering if you knew of any site that would tell me the amounts of things i need and what to do?
Thanks

glycerin and water you just dip your brush in and then apply to your lids

it doesnt work that well for me.

I had a recipe but it was kind of confusing, you needed some natural waxes, mineral pigments (a basic color like white or nude) and water.

I can dig it up for you if you're interseted.

Yeah that would be great, at least for me to have a look at and see if its possible.

I suppose I could leave any coloring out so its just a clear all over face base and re-apply for an eyeshadow base

Thank you

Vicki, maybe you could look at the ingredients in lanacane and monistat and see if they are comparable? if they are then I'm guessing you could easily substitute one for the other as a cheap primer
smile.gif

I don't really think primer for the skin is too neccessary when you're young, although I do see the benefits of using an eye primer before shadow...

Latest posts

Back