What`s the best way to apply a liquid foundation--with the brush or a sponge?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I`m really looking forward for your opinions on this subject. As for me, untill very recently, I was sure that a sponge applicator is the best one for doing the job. But after having some make over in il-makiage with a foundation applied by the brush I was really surprised with the results (it appeared, I wasn`t even needed the consealer to cover all the imperfections)--the skin looked almost flawless. So, now I `m thinking whom is to "blame" for this -- a foundation or a brush application technique?
smile.gif

i do a mix of both.

but i mainly tend to use a brush, since i usually dont have spounges in my apt.

A brush. A sponge will soak up over a quarter of your makeup, trap and hold oil from the face, and breed bacteria.

Ive always applied liquid foundations with a brush. I dont use it on a regular basis, so when I want to look absolutely perfect I defintly use a brush. It makes me look air brushed.

Two things to remember, use a fairly clean brush to prevent spreading bacteria, and use a really soft foundation brush. It is an item worth splurging on. One not so soft will leave you streaky. A soft one won't.

Before I got my brush I did use sponges, but I used them damp and always brand new ones. When they are damp I dont think they soaked up as much of my makeup. Either way it looks way better with a brush. I only realized when I got myself a makeover at a counter too.

thank you, girls! I think I`ll be starting to look for a good foundation brush then.

Any opinions? Btw, is anybody familiar with Revlon`s brushes? Are they any good?

Thanks again
smile.gif

I don't use a liquid foundation, mines is more a light creamy consistancy but I always use a brush. I hate sponges. I personally don't like the finish they give. Plus they waste a lot of product cause loads of the foundation gets sucked up and stuck into the sponge. I think they're kinda unhygeinic too cause they're difficult to clean properly.

I would use a brush, with my oily skin I've found that my skin breakouts too much if i used a sponge and it didn't come out as evenly.

i use a brush that way i don't end up wasting so much on the sponge, and i have found that it covers better anyway using a brush

I use both.. Depending how I feel but I'm kind of liking the brush better than the sponge.. The brush gives me better coverage but does go on a bit thicker than when I use a sponge.. Which I don't mind since I need a lot of coverage for obvious reasons!! Lol

hmm I use a sponge but after reading this I might try using a brush

I dont use foundatioon my entire face, its more to even out some reddish areas (sides of the nose) and a concealer is to heavy

I think Im gonna hunt a good brush down
wink.gif

I switched to a brush from using a sponge and also my fingers and I like the results with a brush much better. Also I like it you don't waist as much.

I dab the foundation onto my face with my finger and then blend with a sponge dampened with fix+. I use a new sponge after every use, though.

I like to use a combination. I will brush it on and then may go over with a sponge to make sure the foundation is blended well.

i do both, however i tend to do the sponge application when i am short on time and the brush when i will not have to worry about time

thanks for sharing, guys. I`ve already decided for myself that I`ll buy the brush prier to the a foundation!
smile.gif

Back