-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

The Return of the MakeupTalk Product Review Center! read more...

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Moisturizer for dehydrated skin

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 45 OFFLINE   peachface

peachface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hi there,

My skin is really dehydrated (being in -37 celsius degree doesn't help) and I'm in need of a good moisturizer to hydrate it. I've been told that my skin is not necessarily dry, just dehydrated. I've been using Vichy hydrating serum along with a regular moisturizer and that helped. But the whole bottle didn't even last me a month... so I want something that's going to last me longer and also effective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

#Post 2 of 45 OFFLINE   cinderella

cinderella

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 26-November 07
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

I would recommend Avene

Natural hair care tips for beautiful locks, homemade recipes for healthy hair

#Post 3 of 45 OFFLINE   peachface

peachface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
I would recommend Avene
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that... Do you know which Avene product might be suitable for me?

#Post 4 of 45 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

My mom likes Avene but she uses the senstive skins line, i don't particularly like it myself so i'm afraid i can't tell you which one might be good for dehydrated skins.

One moisturizer i can suggest is La Roche Posay's Hydraphase, which i have used in the past. It's made for normal to combination dehydrated skins. You have a light moisturizer (the one i used) and a more rich version which i haven't tried. It lasted me about 3 months (about because it's a white, pump type tube so it's hard to tell when it's finished).

That brand also sells a mask (actually 2 doses), it works wonders.

One thing i like to do is spray some thermal water (Evian, LRP, Avene, etc... whatever brand you prefer) on my face, just before applying my moisturizer. I make sure i let my skin absorb the water.

And don't forget to drink water, of course, so you will help your skin also from the inside.

#Post 5 of 45 OFFLINE   Roxie

Roxie

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
  • Joined 17-July 08
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

I can't think of any moisturizes to suggest, so I'll just say this: drink more water and avoid showerin for too long. The hot and cold sudden extremes are terrible for dehydrated skin.
Miss Forever Young

#Post 6 of 45 OFFLINE   peachface

peachface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
One moisturizer i can suggest is La Roche Posay's Hydraphase, which i have used in the past. It's made for normal to combination dehydrated skins. You have a light moisturizer (the one i used) and a more rich version which i haven't tried. It lasted me about 3 months (about because it's a white, pump type tube so it's hard to tell when it's finished).

That brand also sells a mask (actually 2 doses), it works wonders.

One thing i like to do is spray some thermal water (Evian, LRP, Avene, etc... whatever brand you prefer) on my face, just before applying my moisturizer. I make sure i let my skin absorb the water.
I actually use the LRP eyecream and I like it. Is the mask also the Hydraphase line? I might try that... And thanks for the tip about the thermal water. I have one at home but I usually use it if I just want to feel refreshed.

And don't forget to drink water, of course, so you will help your skin also from the inside.
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
I can't think of any moisturizes to suggest, so I'll just say this: drink more water and avoid showerin for too long. The hot and cold sudden extremes are terrible for dehydrated skin.
Thanks... I actually do drink enough water... enough to go to washroom every hour!! There's actually conflicting reports about dehydrated skin and drinking water. Some experts say drinking water has nothing to do with skin. It just hydrates internal organs, which is also important, but still- it doesn't affect the external organ, i.e. skin.

#Post 7 of 45 OFFLINE   empericalbeauty

empericalbeauty

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Reviews

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

Try applying your moisturizer immediately you get out of the shower (while your face is still wet!) that way when your face/body airdries, the moisturizer sinks right into your skin.

#Post 8 of 45 OFFLINE   Reservechic

Reservechic

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Reviews

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is what I am using and this product works great. I have combination/oily skin. However, when the temps are low my skin has a tendency to become dehydrated and this is what I have been using to keep my face feeling hydrated all day long. As, this product truly is like a tall glass of water for the skin.

This moisturizer can be used for all skin types. As, it is not greasy. And, it never feels like it is just on top of my skin clogging my pores either.

And, this product wearss very well under makeup too.
Loving Life & Loving Makeup All The Time!

#Post 9 of 45 OFFLINE   peachface

peachface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07
Reviews

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Reservechic View Post
Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is what I am using and this product works great. I have combination/oily skin. However, when the temps are low my skin has a tendency to become dehydrated and this is what I have been using to keep my face feeling hydrated all day long. As, this product truly is like a tall glass of water for the skin.

This moisturizer can be used for all skin types. As, it is not greasy. And, it never feels like it is just on top of my skin clogging my pores either.

And, this product wearss very well under makeup too.
Oh, thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about that product... I'm going to look into it for sure!

#Post 10 of 45 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by peachface View Post
I actually use the LRP eyecream and I like it. Is the mask also the Hydraphase line? I might try that... And thanks for the tip about the thermal water. I have one at home but I usually use it if I just want to feel refreshed.
Lol, i use it to feel refreshed too.

Yes the mask is from the hydraphase line too.

#Post 11 of 45 OFFLINE   Aniger86

Aniger86

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 14-May 05
Reviews

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty View Post
Try applying your moisturizer immediately you get out of the shower (while your face is still wet!) that way when your face/body airdries, the moisturizer sinks right into your skin.
Ditto, that's what I do, and it does makes a big difference in the skin's ability to retain moisture.

#Post 12 of 45 OFFLINE   empericalbeauty

empericalbeauty

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Reviews

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aniger86 View Post
Ditto, that's what I do, and it does makes a big difference in the skin's ability to retain moisture.
i know!!! My skin glows after I do this. And it has helped my skin get better too. It also depends on the moisturizer, I think. I use coconut oil, aloe vera, Shea butter and Weleda Calendula baby cream. I alternate them. So for example, when i am in the shower, my bottle of coconut oil is meting from the heat..when i am done (still in the shower though), i slather my whole body with the melted oil, including my face. Then i put some aloevera while my face is still wet. I wait till it all dries up..by that time the aloe has made my face a bit tight and shiny so i rub in either shea butter or calendula cream...My skin is loving it!

#Post 13 of 45 OFFLINE   peachface

peachface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07
Reviews

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Reservechic View Post
I tried it! It's quite good! I ended up buying a jar! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Yes the mask is from the hydraphase line too.
I don't know if there's any LRP hydraphase mask here... I tried two different stores and they didn't have them...

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty View Post
i know!!! My skin glows after I do this. And it has helped my skin get better too. It also depends on the moisturizer, I think. I use coconut oil, aloe vera, Shea butter and Weleda Calendula baby cream. I alternate them. So for example, when i am in the shower, my bottle of coconut oil is meting from the heat..when i am done (still in the shower though), i slather my whole body with the melted oil, including my face. Then i put some aloevera while my face is still wet. I wait till it all dries up..by that time the aloe has made my face a bit tight and shiny so i rub in either shea butter or calendula cream...My skin is loving it!
You know, I really didn't think it would make a difference, because I already moisturize after shower, after quickly towel drying enough to not drip. Anyways, I thought what the heck, and didn't towel dry my face at all and just slathered on the moisturizer with my face wet... and it actually did help! Cool! Thanks!

#Post 14 of 45 OFFLINE   patsluv

patsluv

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 08-March 06
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

I am a big fan of oils. They hydrate better than a cream. I've used a couple of different oils. Silkia camelia oil is the best for me. It moisturizes well, absorbs well, leaves a nice glow on the face and has helped with my wrinkles and acne scars.

#Post 15 of 45 OFFLINE   Shelley

Shelley

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

I live in Canada with those types of temperatures.

My skin also becomes more dehydrated in the winter..My skin is more on the sensitive side, combination, slightly oily tzone. This is what I use... Vichy Aqualia (rich formula). They also have a light formula which I haven't tried. I also find exfoliating my skin helps during the winter months. Your skin absorbs the moisturizer better. A good exfoliator that is gentle on the skin is RoC Gommage Doucer Gentle Exfoliating Cream. For the past few months I have been using Neostrata Moisurizer Level one which contains 4% glycolic acid. At night I use a room humidifier and apply either the vichy cream or neostrata moistuizer. I find the combination of the humidifier and moisturizer helps during the winter months. Hope this helped.

#Post 16 of 45 OFFLINE   nichollecaren

nichollecaren

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 30-October 08
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

thanks for this, i've been here layering on oil of olay day cream...thinking I must've lost my mind thinking my skin is still dry after all that...Empericalbeauty, do u use toner?
Jesus is Lord...and He lives.

#Post 17 of 45 OFFLINE   empericalbeauty

empericalbeauty

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by nichollecaren View Post
thanks for this, i've been here layering on oil of olay day cream...thinking I must've lost my mind thinking my skin is still dry after all that...Empericalbeauty, do u use toner?

I use rosewater that i buy from an indian grocery store. Its very soothing for your skin, i find.

#Post 18 of 45 OFFLINE   cubicanna

cubicanna

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08
Reviews

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

highly recommend Avene and Origins drink up mask

#Post 19 of 45 OFFLINE   mebs786

mebs786

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
Reviews

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Exfoliate at least twice a week to remove dead skin cells.

You should try Decleor Neroli Face oil. This is applied before your moisturiser. It makes your moisturiser work deeper into your skin which should help hydrate it. I have used this and it does work!

#Post 20 of 45 OFFLINE   Sugarpuff

Sugarpuff

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09
Reviews

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Definately recommend Estee Lauder hydra complete moisturiser. It feels wonderful and will be perfect for you!
Life should be filled with Love and Laughter!