Moisturizer for dehydrated skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

My skin is really dehydrated (being in -37 celsius degree doesn't help) and I'm in need of a good moisturizer to hydrate it. I've been told that my skin is not necessarily dry, just dehydrated. I've been using Vichy hydrating serum along with a regular moisturizer and that helped. But the whole bottle didn't even last me a month... so I want something that's going to last me longer and also effective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by cinderella /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would recommend Avene Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that... Do you know which Avene product might be suitable for me?

My mom likes Avene but she uses the senstive skins line, i don't particularly like it myself so i'm afraid i can't tell you which one might be good for dehydrated skins.

One moisturizer i can suggest is La Roche Posay's Hydraphase, which i have used in the past. It's made for normal to combination dehydrated skins. You have a light moisturizer (the one i used) and a more rich version which i haven't tried. It lasted me about 3 months (about because it's a white, pump type tube so it's hard to tell when it's finished).

That brand also sells a mask (actually 2 doses), it works wonders.

One thing i like to do is spray some thermal water (Evian, LRP, Avene, etc... whatever brand you prefer) on my face, just before applying my moisturizer. I make sure i let my skin absorb the water.

And don't forget to drink water, of course, so you will help your skin also from the inside.

I can't think of any moisturizes to suggest, so I'll just say this: drink more water and avoid showerin for too long. The hot and cold sudden extremes are terrible for dehydrated skin.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif One moisturizer i can suggest is La Roche Posay's Hydraphase, which i have used in the past. It's made for normal to combination dehydrated skins. You have a light moisturizer (the one i used) and a more rich version which i haven't tried. It lasted me about 3 months (about because it's a white, pump type tube so it's hard to tell when it's finished).
That brand also sells a mask (actually 2 doses), it works wonders.

One thing i like to do is spray some thermal water (Evian, LRP, Avene, etc... whatever brand you prefer) on my face, just before applying my moisturizer. I make sure i let my skin absorb the water.

I actually use the LRP eyecream and I like it. Is the mask also the Hydraphase line? I might try that... And thanks for the tip about the thermal water. I have one at home but I usually use it if I just want to feel refreshed.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif And don't forget to drink water, of course, so you will help your skin also from the inside. Originally Posted by Roxie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can't think of any moisturizes to suggest, so I'll just say this: drink more water and avoid showerin for too long. The hot and cold sudden extremes are terrible for dehydrated skin.
smile.gif
Thanks... I actually do drink enough water... enough to go to washroom every hour!! There's actually conflicting reports about dehydrated skin and drinking water. Some experts say drinking water has nothing to do with skin. It just hydrates internal organs, which is also important, but still- it doesn't affect the external organ, i.e. skin.

Try applying your moisturizer immediately you get out of the shower (while your face is still wet!) that way when your face/body airdries, the moisturizer sinks right into your skin.

Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is what I am using and this product works great. I have combination/oily skin. However, when the temps are low my skin has a tendency to become dehydrated and this is what I have been using to keep my face feeling hydrated all day long. As, this product truly is like a tall glass of water for the skin.

This moisturizer can be used for all skin types. As, it is not greasy. And, it never feels like it is just on top of my skin clogging my pores either.

And, this product wearss very well under makeup too.

Originally Posted by Reservechic /img/forum/go_quote.gif Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is what I am using and this product works great. I have combination/oily skin. However, when the temps are low my skin has a tendency to become dehydrated and this is what I have been using to keep my face feeling hydrated all day long. As, this product truly is like a tall glass of water for the skin.
This moisturizer can be used for all skin types. As, it is not greasy. And, it never feels like it is just on top of my skin clogging my pores either.

And, this product wearss very well under makeup too.

Oh, thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about that product... I'm going to look into it for sure!

Originally Posted by peachface /img/forum/go_quote.gif I actually use the LRP eyecream and I like it. Is the mask also the Hydraphase line? I might try that... And thanks for the tip about the thermal water. I have one at home but I usually use it if I just want to feel refreshed. Lol, i use it to feel refreshed too.
Yes the mask is from the hydraphase line too.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try applying your moisturizer immediately you get out of the shower (while your face is still wet!) that way when your face/body airdries, the moisturizer sinks right into your skin. Ditto, that's what I do, and it does makes a big difference in the skin's ability to retain moisture.

Originally Posted by Aniger86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ditto, that's what I do, and it does makes a big difference in the skin's ability to retain moisture. i know!!! My skin glows after I do this. And it has helped my skin get better too. It also depends on the moisturizer, I think. I use coconut oil, aloe vera, Shea butter and Weleda Calendula baby cream. I alternate them. So for example, when i am in the shower, my bottle of coconut oil is meting from the heat..when i am done (still in the shower though), i slather my whole body with the melted oil, including my face. Then i put some aloevera while my face is still wet. I wait till it all dries up..by that time the aloe has made my face a bit tight and shiny so i rub in either shea butter or calendula cream...My skin is loving it!

Originally Posted by Reservechic /img/forum/go_quote.gif Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is what I am using and this product works great. I have combination/oily skin. However, when the temps are low my skin has a tendency to become dehydrated and this is what I have been using to keep my face feeling hydrated all day long. As, this product truly is like a tall glass of water for the skin. I tried it! It's quite good! I ended up buying a jar! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes the mask is from the hydraphase line too. I don't know if there's any LRP hydraphase mask here... I tried two different stores and they didn't have them...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif i know!!! My skin glows after I do this. And it has helped my skin get better too. It also depends on the moisturizer, I think. I use coconut oil, aloe vera, Shea butter and Weleda Calendula baby cream. I alternate them. So for example, when i am in the shower, my bottle of coconut oil is meting from the heat..when i am done (still in the shower though), i slather my whole body with the melted oil, including my face. Then i put some aloevera while my face is still wet. I wait till it all dries up..by that time the aloe has made my face a bit tight and shiny so i rub in either shea butter or calendula cream...My skin is loving it! You know, I really didn't think it would make a difference, because I already moisturize after shower, after quickly towel drying enough to not drip. Anyways, I thought what the heck, and didn't towel dry my face at all and just slathered on the moisturizer with my face wet... and it actually did help! Cool! Thanks!

I am a big fan of oils. They hydrate better than a cream. I've used a couple of different oils. Silkia camelia oil is the best for me. It moisturizes well, absorbs well, leaves a nice glow on the face and has helped with my wrinkles and acne scars.

I live in Canada with those types of temperatures.

My skin also becomes more dehydrated in the winter..My skin is more on the sensitive side, combination, slightly oily tzone. This is what I use... Vichy Aqualia (rich formula). They also have a light formula which I haven't tried. I also find exfoliating my skin helps during the winter months. Your skin absorbs the moisturizer better. A good exfoliator that is gentle on the skin is RoC Gommage Doucer Gentle Exfoliating Cream. For the past few months I have been using Neostrata Moisurizer Level one which contains 4% glycolic acid. At night I use a room humidifier and apply either the vichy cream or neostrata moistuizer. I find the combination of the humidifier and moisturizer helps during the winter months. Hope this helped.

thanks for this, i've been here layering on oil of olay day cream...thinking I must've lost my mind thinking my skin is still dry after all that...Empericalbeauty, do u use toner?

Originally Posted by nichollecaren /img/forum/go_quote.gif thanks for this, i've been here layering on oil of olay day cream...thinking I must've lost my mind thinking my skin is still dry after all that...Empericalbeauty, do u use toner? I use rosewater that i buy from an indian grocery store. Its very soothing for your skin, i find.

Exfoliate at least twice a week to remove dead skin cells.

You should try Decleor Neroli Face oil. This is applied before your moisturiser. It makes your moisturiser work deeper into your skin which should help hydrate it. I have used this and it does work!

Definately recommend Estee Lauder hydra complete moisturiser. It feels wonderful and will be perfect for you!

Latest posts

Back