Does Makeup age the skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was on the phone with a friend one day and she made a remark about makeup aging the skin; that it can cause premature aging.

I had never heard of such a thing and started freakin out because I've worn makeup since I was 17/18 and I am 22 years old now. I started looking in the mirror checking for wrinkles, applying Vitamin E, and Vitaminc C serum to my skin to preserve my youth.

My friend doesn't wear any makeup at all, except for lipgloss, and I notice women who don't wear makeup seem to have a bone to pick with women who like to experiment their look by wearing foundation and eyeshadow. I've had employees make snarky comments that "makeup is not good for the skin", around me, as if they're implying that it's a bad thing I wear makeup.

I like to wear makeup, different kinds because I don't like to wake up and see the same ol face everyday it gets so boring.

but enough of my rambling, does anyone find that comment my friend made to be true?

I think maybe if your handling your skin agressively when applying/removing makeup, that could cause premature aging but to be honest, it kinda sounds like your homie is hatin.

Actually, I've noticed that (most) women who wear makeup take better care of their skin. So ... I don't think there's any truth to it. Unless you're someone who sleeps in foundation and applies more over it the next morning.

as long as you take care of your skin like you're supposed to, I think you'll be fine.

start using anti-aging creams, eye creams early because it's never too early (just as a precaution lol)

and yea like the other poster's comments said.

just don't go sleeping in your make up everyday. (although I can't say I've never done that, I was too tired XD and I feel really bad in the morning for not taking makeup off)

ive noticed it as well women who dont wear make up or colorful makeup for that matter have an issue with people who do. I wonder why?

Its true specially wearing very heavy makeup and this is what i hear from a makeup artist. That actually wearing to much makeup around the eyes, is somewhat bad becuase the eyes show aging faster than any other part of your face but if you keep a good regime of cleaning your face in the morning and at nigth time before you go to bed, you should be fine and take the advice of banaapple she knows what she is talking about ,other then that you will always find a hater so whatever your friend says don't pay so much attention but do take care of your skin the vitamin e is really good actually 1 a day women vitamin helps it has vitamins in it that should help the skyn and drink alots of water. Hope this help you some how.

I think that smoking, drinking alcohol, greasy, salt filled diet, and stress (absorbing a friend's negative make-up attitude) ages the skin! Go 'head and rock your makeup girlfriend!!

i wouldnt be surprised if makeup contributes to skin-aging.

i dont think makeup is bad per se cuz im such a makeup lover and dont leave home w/o it.

but, we do many things that torture our skin on a regular basis like dehydration, sleep deprivation, alcohol consumption, stress, smoking etc and i guess makeup adds to the list.

im talking from my own experience here and i used to wear makeup everyday for like pretty much straight 12 hrs or longer. my skin was horrible back then! i felt sry for my skin for being covered w/ some liquid and powder the whole time.

realistically speaking, u put some stuff that is foreign to ur skin. that cant be good! especially in the long run it does take a toll.

i still love makeup though... lol <3

I wouldn't call it bad for your skin, on the contrary. You have many options nowadays for foundations, especially in terms of texture, so it can control excess oil and most of them also include SPF in their formula, so you take care of your skin while wearing makeup.

It's true you'll also get comments like that when you wear heavy makeup, i don't know why. But i learned not to pay attention to them, you'll always find someone ready to judge you so be yourself.

Honestly, it seems to me like people who don't wear makeup tend to age worse. But maybe that's just that they look worse because they're not wearing makeup to cover their age spots! lol!

In all seriousness, though...I would think that makeup would form a protective barrier between your skin and environmental factors that could cause free radical damage. A lot of makeup also has SPF protection now as well to protect from sun damage that can age the skin.

I ran into that today at the grocery store. I had two women look me up and down and say "she think she cute cos she wearing all that blue and purple on her face" i was like wowwwwwww

I agree with the others. I do think that aggressive handling of the skin probably causes damage, but most makeup products have anti aging or sun protection properties, so that would surely assist the skin??

It's impossible to say.. I think the negatives are outweighed by positives though, so I'm sticking to my makeup
biggrin.gif

I think that informed women who really do care about their regimen have nothing to worry about wearing makeup because they would pay attention to proper cleansing and moisturizing... I could see if you wear it day in day out without cleaning your skin and letting it breathe sometimes, pull and tug at it, that you'll look horrible over time. But makeup making you look older intrinsically? No... Can't accept that argument.

I say wear your makeup also. Just make sure you take care of your skin after.

I would also agree that makeup these days, has spf and anti aging benefits. Just look at all the 30-50 yr olds on youtube! lanaindiana is one I can think of that has beautiful skin and I'm sure she's been wearing it longer then I've been living
wink.gif

Makeup can inhibit your skin from breathing in very minimal ways but it's not going to be anything noticeable. Makeup can harbor bacteria (esp creams and liquids) and they can help external impurities adhere to the skin which is bad. But if you're being hygenic about things you'll be fine. In between day and night makeup I always start fresh faced because I don't want to be building up ontop of a dirty makeup layer.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that informed women who really do care about their regimen have nothing to worry about wearing makeup because they would pay attention to proper cleansing and moisturizing... I could see if you wear it day in day out without cleaning your skin and letting it breathe sometimes, pull and tug at it, that you'll look horrible over time. But makeup making you look older intrinsically? No... Can't accept that argument.
I say wear your makeup also. Just make sure you take care of your skin after.

I completely agree. I hate it when non-makeup wearer's say stuff like that, like it's a bad thing or that I'm cheating bc I help myself with a little cosmetics. It's not cheating and it's not bad; it's a multi-billion dollar industry. If you have perfect skin and can get away with it, fine but I can't so I don't and there's nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by SewAmazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that smoking, drinking alcohol, greasy, salt filled diet, and stress (absorbing a friend's negative make-up attitude) ages the skin! Go 'head and rock your makeup girlfriend!! Well said!

I dont know what it is with some women and their "natural" looks. I mean if i wanna wear purple and blue e/s let me lol

Hmmphf. I so disagree. I always think of my makeup as a protective barrier between my face and sun, wind, cold -- basically, all the elements and environmental toxins. I always use gentle cleansers and moisturizers and SPF and try to take care of my skin. My thought was that if I just go out there bare-faced that would be far more aging. To each his own, I guess.

I know in my town there are some women who dont wear makeup and they seem to have an issue with those who do. You just have to ignore them and keep moving. Makeup isnt really a barrier unless it contains spf imo but most do now so yes it protects your skin. I just use sunscreen bc i hate the way foundation feels except tinted moisturizers i will bust those out on special occassions lol.

Latest posts

Back