Best place to buy makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi girls,

It is my first time buying make up. The only place I know where I can buy it is in Macy and pharmacies...I was wondering if there are any stores that specilize in make up and other beauty products at a reasonable price. By the way I live in new york city...so just name the store...I should be able to find it. Thanks

There are a few reasonably priced items in Sephora! hehe. I'm an enabler...

But seriously, Sephora is great! And I love that they have so many brands in one place!

Sephora and Ulta are fabulous. I actually prefer to go into Nordstroms and Saks cosmetic department because I love to loom over the expensive skin care lines in hopes that I will get a free sample of a $1,000 face cream. I really like to dabble in the Armani and Givenchy lines, too.

I agree with everyone sephora and ulta the way to go, or just your local department store and their makeup counters always works for me. :)

Originally Posted by xxfungirlxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi girls,
It is my first time buying make up. The only place I know where I can buy it is in Macy and pharmacies...I was wondering if there are any stores that specilize in make up and other beauty products at a reasonable price. By the way I live in new york city...so just name the store...I should be able to find it. Thanks

Great question! In these hard financial times (for most folks) cutting corners is the only way to go!
Here are my tips:

I shop at department stores and wait to buy items from clinique/ lancome/dior when they are giving away great free gifts wi a purchase.

I shop at Sephora & Ulta and utilize in store sales and email/flyer coupons.

I shop at the drug stores when they have buy one/get one free specials (don't forget WalMart & Kmart b/c they generally have lower prices).

I also shop at Big Lots & Dollar Tree and sometimes find great deals on CoverGirl/Neutregena/Revlon/Loreal.

Bottome line:

Where you can buy it cheaper, do so

For higher end items that you can only buy at certain locations, save and wait for a good free gift or coupon (Sephora/Ulta/Macy's)

Happy Shopping!
eclipsee.gif

sephora, macy's, target, cvs, rite aid, walgreens, i don't know if walmart has any, some dollar stores, asian supermarkets, supermarkets. lol there's a lot.

I have a GREAT recommendation for you since you are NYC. Bet you don't know about this place, but Douglas Cosmetics is awesome in Grand Central Station. They sell Clinique, Lancome, Clarins, Estee Lauder etc etc etc, but it is a smaller store and they have sales and gifts with purchase ALL the time. You'll love the boutique feel and they always give you free stuff and samples. It's SOooooooo much better than Sephora.

Also, of course there is that Ricky's store when you want some crazy cheap make-up fast or some false eyelashes.

I buy most of my makeup online. It's sooo easy to sign up for newsletters to find out when certain companies are having specials or sales. Some products like Nyx have their lines in stores so you can actually see them, but then I'll wait until I have a coupon code and buy it online.

the price of an item is NOT always indicative of how well the product will work on you. everybody's skin type is different, so different products will work differently for different people. Find samples and try out a variety of things to find out what looks best on you and what works best on your skin type before you decide to splurge on an entire line. It might be that $5 drug store brand that ends up being perfect for you over that $100 fancy schmancy elite brand!

A lot of the random beauty stores I end up running across are in strip malls or in shopping districts. Like the ones where if you sit in the parking lot and just read the store names you're like "oh wow, I didn't know that store was there" cause you tend to look them over since you're probably there to go into main store that takes up half the parking lot. (like all the stores you normally see next to like grocery stores) They're smaller stores but they'll only tend to have a handful of customers at a time. You might find some better prices in smaller stores (less shoplifting so less of a need to price hike to make up for it) and get to know the owners better than at a major store, but you might not see the huge department store lines.

Sephora and Ulta, but Sephora has more high-end brands..Ulta carries alot of drugstore items.

Back