Do You Drink While You Eat?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've found that with a whole meal I drink less than 1/2 of whatever I'm drinking. My husband drinks after almost every single bite or two and my sister won't drink anything til she's done eating bc that's what my grandmother taught her. Sometimes I do the same.

Is there any particular way you vary your beverage with you meal?

No. I don't drink because that is the way my mother raise me, eat your food first then you can get something to drink. I don't know if this is just a hispanic thing, i notice that your grandmother did the same with you and your sister.

Yea that's why I was wondering. I always feel so wasteful for getting more than I know I'll drink lol. I just can't drink that much.

Usually i eat first and then drink but I mostly do that at home. If Im at a restaurant I would probable drink while eating.

I don't drink much in general, actually. I'll have a few sips while I'm eating, but afterward I force myself to drink because I want to stay hydrated!

I drink typically milk at a meal and usually finish off a large glass.. Taking sips every few minutes.. Funny I've found that if I don't drink anything and the food is on the dry side... I get hickups.. Really weird but almost every time I can get it to happen..

I wouldn't make it through a whole meal eating without being able to take any sips of a drink! My throat would get too dry!

My whole family drinks about two full glasses each with dinner.

I drink some water first, and sip some if I need to during a meal. Then I gulp down my drink and drink more water, lol!

I'll usually have a drink waiting to be sipped on next to my plate but I almost never drink with my meal. I think it's more proper to drink after your meal so you don't fill up on too many fluids and stretch your stomach while eating. It's a family thing in my parents house and my husband seems to have caught on.
smile.gif

We have drinks on the table, but usually the glasses are still empty by the end, unless the food is really spicey.

My mum would always say don't drink till after aswell. Guess it kind of stuck.

Depends if I'm really thirst. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of a meal and get a drink. Generally I drink after I eat.

we always drank during when I was little, and I still do.

As a general rule I don't drink very much anyway, but I once went to a friend's house where there was no drinking til after the meal, I found it really restrictive and uncomfortable somehow
smile.gif
I guess you get used to whatever you do with your family

Actually I read somewhere that suposedly you're not suppose to drink too much during a meal. It dilutes the acid in your stomach which could lead to health problems.

Really? I just don't drink alot bc of my upbringing but also bc if I drink too much, my stomach hurts and I get hungrier faster lol.

neither of my parents drink with their evening meal, unless its a weekend and they have wine. they just have a cup of tea afterwards, but tea isn't very quenching. i drink during my meal, i always have.

I'll just take sips, while I'm eating. By the time I'm done with my meal, I'll only have drinken less than half of the drink.

if the food is spicy i tend to drink more than a glass . most of the time i barely finish my drink

Originally Posted by candygalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif No. I don't drink because that is the way my mother raise me, eat your food first then you can get something to drink. I don't know if this is just a hispanic thing, i notice that your grandmother did the same with you and your sister. It's not a hispanic thing, it's a smart thing. I used to have bad acid reflux and digestive issues, but got surgery and things are good now. But while I was sick I learned a lot.
The proper way is to just sip while you eat then drink after your meal. When you drink during your meal you dissolve your digestive juices. You need those juices to help break down the food. When you drink too much and eat at the same time stuff just sits and kinda ferments.

Latest posts

Back