Is it bad to sleep with wet hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it bad to sleep with wet hair? I tend to do that a lot cause it gets all really curly when i do that, and when i just let it dry naturally too, but the curls aren't as big. But if i blow dry them they are just frizzy w/ a lot of volume at the sides. So I then flat iron it and put volumizing mouse just in the roots at the top of my head, not the sides.

I blow dry it when i have a shower in the morning and wet it right before i go to bed. But I like my curls because I get lots of compliments on them.

I think it would be bad because your hair might tear easier since its wet. What I would suggest is that you braid your hair. That would help so that it doesn't get damaged and it gives you a nice curl to your hair.

What if you let them dry on their own in the morning?? Then maybe at night just put it up in a pony?
icon_wink.gif

I always let my hair dry while I sleep. My hair is really curly and if I blow dry it or let it dry in the morning it gets pulled straight and is all frizzy. I've been doing it for years and I've never had any problems

i go to sleep with my hair damp. it makes it wavy when iwake up. when i blow dry it, it gets all frizzy and stuff.

Originally Posted by Liz i go to sleep with my hair damp. it makes it wavy when iwake up. when i blow dry it, it gets all frizzy and stuff. Same here. I usually try to let it finish air drying before I lay down on it but it takes it for-EVER to dry! I don't understand why because I don't have that much hair but for some reason it retains water like mad.

I have curly hair too and I sleep with it wet. If I blow dry it, it gets frizzy and huge. I have to wash my hair at night because I have to be at work by 7:00 am. I can never wake up early enough to wash my hair in the morning.
rolleyes.gif

its not an old wives tale..every time I sleep with wet hair I wake up in th am with a cold

Originally Posted by fiji its not an old wives tale..every time I sleep with wet hair I wake up in th am with a cold Yeah, I remember my mom always telling me to not go to sleep with a wet head because i'd get a head cold.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa Yeah, I remember my mom always telling me to not go to sleep with a wet head because i'd get a head cold. My mom still tells me that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If I take a shower late, I'll let my hair air-dry a bit then put it in a high bun overnight. In the morning when I take it down, I have really nice waves and no frizz.

I always sleep with my hair wet. I shower at night, tie my hair up into a bun, and in the morning its lightly damp and much easier and faster to blow dry!

Back when I had long hair I would go to bed with it wet every night and it always looked fine (and no head colds!). It took FOREVER to dry back then so I just let it dry overnight. Plus it was long and heavy enough that it was always straight when I woke up. When it was down to my waist it was a little thin at the ends, but when I cut it to half-way down my back and kept it trimmed it always looked healthy, so I don't think sleeping with wet hair hurt it.

hehe, my hair was much more of a "wash and go" style when it was long than it is now -- now that it's shorter (shoulder-length) it's much wavier, so if I want it to look good I have to shower every morning and blowdry it!

I'd do it except i'd just be afraid of getting a cold. I suppose if you leave it air-dry for a while before going to bed it cant be that bad.

i always sleep with my hair wet, because i too get nice curls that way. as long as you dont have a window open, or your room isnt ice cold, you shouldnt get a cold.

lol, well i hav long hair and i sleep with it wet practicaly ev night..n i still hav a full head of hair
wink.gif

Originally Posted by usersassychick0 Thx for all of your reply's! I heard that overtime it will start falling out!!!!
icon_eek.gif
again, i dont think that will happen unless you are sleeping in like minus 20 degrees celsius lol. and even then, its probably a myth.

Back