Is this bad for my hair??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have pretty curly hair and for id say the past couple years instead of rinsing the conditioner out of my hair when taking a shower, i leave it in. It seriously helps with taming down and controling my hair, and also makes it feel soft and makes each curl in my hair look nice and shiny. but ive been wondering if its actually bad for my hair to have conditioner in my hair all day almost everyday. its not like its a monsterous amount. i obviously ring out the excess before getting out of the shower. but if anyone could tell me if this is actually bad for my hair id appreciate it.

I think it is a great idea!

Think about all the styling products that we leave in our hair - no one is concerned about that.

I have a girlfriend that uses a Joico rince out conditioner as a leave in styling product - and her hair looks great.

Ah heck no!

That's not bad for your hair.

Back before they had leave in conditioners, that's what we did; left in the rinse out conditioners.

I still do sometimes. After I'm done with shampooing and conditioning and rise it all out, I put a little bit on my ends and leave it there. It helps for heat protection if I'm gonna inflict the blow dryer and flat iron on it and helps keep it under control if I leave it curly.

it makes my hair look greasy as hell if I do that, but if your hair looks good, then I'd say stick to it
smile.gif

If it works for you, then go for it, there are worse things you could do to your hair!

thanks ladies, yea my hair is just so curly and i got tired of having to dowse my hair in hairspray everyday and have my hair feeling so hard and crunchy lol

Originally Posted by autumn87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif thanks ladies, yea my hair is just so curly and i got tired of having to dowse my hair in hairspray everyday and have my hair feeling so hard and crunchy lol Lol!Okay, now THAT is bad for your hair, ha ha!

Crunchy hair will break off.

I've always wondered about that...

cause i heard a lot about how you should completely remove condition from your hair...

and thought it was not good to leave it more than the time suggeted..

but that's interesting to know.

I do that all the time. If I removed all the conditioner from my hair it would be too dry. It depends on your hair type obviously but if you have greasy hair I wouldnt recommend it.

I have straight hair so my hair would limp if I did the same, but seems to be working great for you! Have you ever considered using leave-in conditioners in place of actual conditioners though? I'm sure there won't be such a big difference anyway though..Just wondering
smile.gif

It's not bad, but I don't think it's work with every conditioner. Some leave tiny white things when used as a leave-in, ugh!

As long as it's not bothering your scalp, and it makes your hair feel good, I say stick with what you've been doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)

It is actually fine for your hair. However, they do make leave in conditioners specificly for this purpose.

No, it's not bad for you. I've read that doing that is one of the best ways to deal with frizzy or curly hair in a magazine, can't remember which magazine it was, though.

I do the same with leaving conditioning in for several hours. Leaves my hair soft makes it manageable or else here comes frizzy and dry hair. It also makes me not have to use too much product afterwards like leave-in or overly greasy moisturizer to get buildup.

This works great for taming curly/kinky hair, it actually protects it. People have been using this trick for years!

I do that everyday, its not bad but it does make your hair a whole lot dryer because whenever i do put conditioner and leave it in sometimes my scalp becomes really tight dry and itchy so i sometimes use mousse.

Mousse can make your curls very hard but it better if you blow dry it with a diffuser.
smile.gif

It is not bad for your hair... I sometimes leave my conditioner in if I feel my hair needs some extra conditioning...

i think it's fine. i have super fine hair though so it would just make me really greasy
frown.gif

Back