-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Is Talc bad in face powders?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 35 OFFLINE   csskkai

csskkai

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 19-July 09
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

There's a lot of people out there who say Talc is BAD BAD BAD(it apparently clogs pores?), but a lot of those people are ones who are trying to sell mineral makeup and things like that. I've seen a lot of good products out there WITH talc in them.
So my question is, is talc actually bad? Is it all just a gimmick to make mineral makeup more appealing?
I wanted to make sure about talc before I start swearing it off altogether.

Also, this is totally unrelated, but what is a good concealer? Any recommendations for me ?

#Post 2 of 35 OFFLINE   Bec688

Bec688

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • Joined 04-July 06
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

Talc is unfortunately a filler in a lot of cosmetics. It is bad for your skin, it can clog your pores. In a lot of drugstore branded mineral make up they use talc as a filler, only a small percentage of the product is actually pure minerals.

#Post 3 of 35 OFFLINE   Jinx

Jinx

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Joined 16-February 06
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:36 AM

We have been warned away from talc way before mineral make up even came out; medically we were warned because a lot of women used it in their undies to absorb dryness and it caused problems in that area, it was used as deoderant as well as in makeup with possible lung issues from passively inhaling it.
It is suggested that talc is closely related to asbestos- a known carcinogen.
Here's a link to the American Cancer Society, maybe it can help you decide whether you want to use talc -
ACS :: Talcum Powder and Cancer

#Post 4 of 35 OFFLINE   StereoXGirl

StereoXGirl

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,495 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
Is talc safe for use in cosmetics and personal care products?
Health experts have maintained over the years that products containing talc are safe when used as directed, and recent scientific reviews of available data have supported this position.
The Food and Drug Administration has determined that talc is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for use as an anti-caking agent in foods. It is also permitted as an anti-caking agent in vanilla powder.

FDA has listed talc as a color additive that may be used in coloring drug products and as a component of colors for use in drugs and cosmetics.
http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=73.1550
http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=82.1051
http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=82.2051
You can find more info here: COSMETICSINFO.ORG - Your source for safety information about cosmetics and personal care products

ETA: For some reason, the three links in the quote won't work. If you follow the main link, the links in the quote should work from there.

#Post 5 of 35 OFFLINE   pinksugar

pinksugar

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 07
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

sigh. It seems to me that everything is dangerous these days... talc, sugar, coffee, alcohol, prescription and recreational drugs, driving, knitting while walking.... gloom

#Post 6 of 35 OFFLINE   cmhchic40

cmhchic40

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 28-March 08
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pinksugar View Post
sigh. It seems to me that everything is dangerous these days... talc, sugar, coffee, alcohol, prescription and recreational drugs, driving, knitting while walking.... gloom
LOL... well at least we will die pretty.
  • nanutter likes this
"...but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." 1Peter 3:4

#Post 7 of 35 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,691 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

There's alot of dangers in using talc, like already mentioned. My doctor didn't even recommend it for baby use bc they could breath it in.

"Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future."

"Maybe you should eat makeup so you can try and be pretty on the inside, b*tch."

#Post 8 of 35 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

LOL !! Please don't le me die before i finished applying my makeup !

It's a known allergen, it clogs your pores and sadly it's a filler used in a lot of cosmetic products. You will also find talc in the drugstore mineral makeup, but there are other MMU companies providing talc free MMU.
I also know talc turns my skin into a desert, stealing the moisture out of it.

#Post 9 of 35 OFFLINE   SalescoopSarah

SalescoopSarah

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 01-June 09
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Yep I heard way too much about talc being bad even outside of the mineral makeup. But within the mineral make up it's known to cause clogging, breakouts and in severe cases skin cancer. I would definitely avoid it when possible, which is easier when you use high end products in terms of mineral makeup.

#Post 10 of 35 OFFLINE   Dalylah

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts
  • Joined 08-July 09
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

There are plenty of affordable mineral makeups that do not have talc so it's not to hard to avoid... just in case

#Post 11 of 35 OFFLINE   csskkai

csskkai

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 19-July 09
Reviews

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

I heard that MAC studio fix powder is pretty popular, yet its main ingredient is Talc....
A lot of high end makeup I've searched up seem to have talc talc talc. Should I avoid? Or ignore.

#Post 12 of 35 OFFLINE   tyari

tyari

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  • Joined 20-March 08
Reviews

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

I, personally, must avoid talc like the plague. It breaks me out something awful. *SIGH*

#Post 13 of 35 OFFLINE   lalalalila

lalalalila

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Joined 05-August 09
Reviews

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

cmhchic40:

LOL! I know right? =)
"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety. Other women cloy the appetites they feed; but she makes hungry where most she satisfies."

#Post 14 of 35 OFFLINE   Asha*

Asha*

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined 15-March 08
Reviews

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

I avoid talc in loose and pressed form. I don't mind it that much in liquid foundation ar cream. I think it's most harmful if you breathe it, because it can damage your lungs (it's similar to asbestos).

#Post 15 of 35 OFFLINE   mebs786

mebs786

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
Reviews

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I personally find that products with talc will dry out my skin and cause irritation..

#Post 16 of 35 OFFLINE   Cymbeline

Cymbeline

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 14-December 08
Reviews

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Talc is not derived from asbestos, nor is it similar. Cosmetic grade talc is perfectly safe, if you're not allergic that is

#Post 17 of 35 OFFLINE   purpleRain

purpleRain

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Joined 06-February 07
Reviews

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:40 AM

I never have problems with talc but I have heard it can cause clogged pores but I don't know if it actually does.

It's also in my Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed face powder and I never have clogged pores with that.
I know that MAC Blot powder contains no talc, love that powder.

I think it's always hard to blame one ingredient to cause clogged pores as there are many other reasons to get those.
To really check that you have to put pure talc on your face and then see if your face will clog eeeh but yeah... who wants to do that?
Loving ourselves is the foundation of good health and happiness

*Busy moving to my new apartment*

#Post 18 of 35 OFFLINE   aagirlie

aagirlie

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09
Reviews

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Makes me itch, itch, itch!! But it's like a lot of other things, some people are sensative to it and some are not. You'll have to test it our yourself to see if you can wear it or not.

#Post 19 of 35 OFFLINE   shyiskrazy2

shyiskrazy2

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 03-June 06
Reviews

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cymbeline View Post
Talc is not derived from asbestos, nor is it similar. Cosmetic grade talc is perfectly safe, if you're not allergic that is
It says twice in this link that it is similar to asbestos and toxic, which means that it is not an allergen.
Talcum Powder can cause cancer

PS I just wanted to add that some condoms have talc on them that keep the latex from sticking to itself. They removed talc from latex gloves, but not condoms. Be safe, my dears.

#Post 20 of 35 OFFLINE   TwinkletOes26

TwinkletOes26

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 11-October 08
Reviews

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

why dont they use cornstarch instead? cornstarch is at least natural