Is Talc bad in face powders?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a lot of people out there who say Talc is BAD BAD BAD(it apparently clogs pores?), but a lot of those people are ones who are trying to sell mineral makeup and things like that. I've seen a lot of good products out there WITH talc in them.

So my question is, is talc actually bad? Is it all just a gimmick to make mineral makeup more appealing?

I wanted to make sure about talc before I start swearing it off altogether.

Also, this is totally unrelated, but what is a good concealer? Any recommendations for me
biggrin.gif
?

Talc is unfortunately a filler in a lot of cosmetics. It is bad for your skin, it can clog your pores. In a lot of drugstore branded mineral make up they use talc as a filler, only a small percentage of the product is actually pure minerals.

We have been warned away from talc way before mineral make up even came out; medically we were warned because a lot of women used it in their undies to absorb dryness and it caused problems in that area, it was used as deoderant as well as in makeup with possible lung issues from passively inhaling it.

It is suggested that talc is closely related to asbestos- a known carcinogen.

Here's a link to the American Cancer Society, maybe it can help you decide whether you want to use talc -

ACS :: Talcum Powder and Cancer

Quote:
Is talc safe for use in cosmetics and personal care products?Health experts have maintained over the years that products containing talc are safe when used as directed, and recent scientific reviews of available data have supported this position.

The Food and Drug Administration has determined that talc is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for use as an anti-caking agent in foods. It is also permitted as an anti-caking agent in vanilla powder.

FDA has listed talc as a color additive that may be used in coloring drug products and as a component of colors for use in drugs and cosmetics.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=73.1550

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=82.1051

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=82.2051

You can find more info here: COSMETICSINFO.ORG - Your source for safety information about cosmetics and personal care products
ETA: For some reason, the three links in the quote won't work. If you follow the main link, the links in the quote should work from there.

sigh. It seems to me that everything is dangerous these days... talc, sugar, coffee, alcohol, prescription and recreational drugs, driving, knitting while walking.... gloom
frown.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif sigh. It seems to me that everything is dangerous these days... talc, sugar, coffee, alcohol, prescription and recreational drugs, driving, knitting while walking.... gloom
frown.gif
LOL... well at least we will die pretty.

There's alot of dangers in using talc, like already mentioned. My doctor didn't even recommend it for baby use bc they could breath it in.

LOL !! Please don't le me die before i finished applying my makeup !

It's a known allergen, it clogs your pores and sadly it's a filler used in a lot of cosmetic products. You will also find talc in the drugstore mineral makeup, but there are other MMU companies providing talc free MMU.

I also know talc turns my skin into a desert, stealing the moisture out of it.

Yep I heard way too much about talc being bad even outside of the mineral makeup. But within the mineral make up it's known to cause clogging, breakouts and in severe cases skin cancer. I would definitely avoid it when possible, which is easier when you use high end products in terms of mineral makeup.

There are plenty of affordable mineral makeups that do not have talc so it's not to hard to avoid... just in case
smile.gif

I heard that MAC studio fix powder is pretty popular, yet its main ingredient is Talc....

A lot of high end makeup I've searched up seem to have talc talc talc. Should I avoid? Or ignore.

I, personally, must avoid talc like the plague. It breaks me out something awful. *SIGH*

I avoid talc in loose and pressed form. I don't mind it that much in liquid foundation ar cream. I think it's most harmful if you breathe it, because it can damage your lungs (it's similar to asbestos).

I personally find that products with talc will dry out my skin and cause irritation..

Talc is not derived from asbestos, nor is it similar. Cosmetic grade talc is perfectly safe, if you're not allergic that is
wink.gif

I never have problems with talc but I have heard it can cause clogged pores but I don't know if it actually does.

It's also in my Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed face powder and I never have clogged pores with that.

I know that MAC Blot powder contains no talc, love that powder.

I think it's always hard to blame one ingredient to cause clogged pores as there are many other reasons to get those.

To really check that you have to put pure talc on your face and then see if your face will clog eeeh but yeah... who wants to do that?

Makes me itch, itch, itch!! But it's like a lot of other things, some people are sensative to it and some are not. You'll have to test it our yourself to see if you can wear it or not.

Originally Posted by Cymbeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif Talc is not derived from asbestos, nor is it similar. Cosmetic grade talc is perfectly safe, if you're not allergic that is
wink.gif
It says twice in this link that it is similar to asbestos and toxic, which means that it is not an allergen.Talcum Powder can cause cancer

PS I just wanted to add that some condoms have talc on them that keep the latex from sticking to itself. They removed talc from latex gloves, but not condoms. Be safe, my dears.

Latest posts

Back