Skincare regimen - the Korean way

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Along my search for BB cream, i stumbled accross that website, and discovered korean women, asian women in general, follow a tougher regimen than us
smile.gif

Here's the 5-step routine:

1. Double cleansing ---> 2. Massage & mask ---> 3. Tone ---> 4. Essence ---> 5. Moisturize

Phew! Let's find out in detail what each step is all about.

1. Double Cleansing

Thoroughly cleanse your skin with makeup remover and cleanser before going to sleep. Never ever go to sleep with your makeup still on!

Have you heard of Cleansing Oil? It is a washable oil that is emulsified with water to quickly remove all makeup, grease and dirt. One very famous brand is the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. It removes all traces of makeup gently yet effectively as well as other types of pore clogging dirt while maintaining skin's natural sebum levels

2. Massage & Mask

Facial massage is the secret to glowing skin. Apply a massage pack or cream and massage your face. You could even use a gentle scrub. It is exercise for your skin.

A facial massage improves blood circulation and is a great stress reliever! Facial massages also stimulates the flow of oxygen and nutrients to improve the elasticity of your skin. The skin temperature rises, opening pores and pushes out the dirt embedded deep within the skin. Your skin will look visibly fresher, younger and glows after a massage.

Incorporate a facial massage into your beauty regime at least 2 - 3 times a week for visible results.

A word of caution for those with acne or oily skin, massaging will agitate the oil glands and increase oil secretion. So refrain from massaging.

On the days you do not indulge in a facial massage, apply a mask on your face. There are many types of masks out there in stores, but the two that are most important are clarifying mask (deep cleanses the skin) and moisture mask.

Facial masks should be applied 1 - 2 times a week, after cleansing and preferably at night.

3. Tone

Some might think that toners are useless. But toners actually remove dead skin cells and residue from cleansers. Choose a toner that is suitable for your skin type.

4. Essence/serum

Essence or serums are very light, liquid concentrated treatments to correct skin problems. Essence is easier absorbed and penetrates deep into your skin, better than regular moisturizers. For best results, wait 5 minutes after applying serums before applying your moisturizer to allow maximum absorption. Because of their concentrated affects, serums are generally more expensive.

5. Moisturize

Choose a moisturizer suitable for your skin and use it diligently.

I am not one who is blessed with flawless skin, but i have learned that no matter what your skin type, you could make it better by paying extra attention to your skin care routine.

Full article here

Another interesting article

It's not that different from my skincare regimen, but to find an entire line of skincare dedicated to it, wow ! I checked Laneige products on the brand's website, and they give instructions as well as the exact quantity to apply, it's a real different vision about skincare.

wow, they really take care of their skin!

i'd love to try the oil cleanser thing.

mag!I know bt the BB cream.Its very famous back in Malaysia.Its just like the tinted moisturizer, nothing to shout abt
smile.gif

Really ? I wanted to try it, it's supposed to have good coverage so why not ? I'm sick of putting on foundation, i would like to try something else. I heard Missha is good.

Sounds like a very good way to keep your skin looking good. I'll have to get up an hour earlier or go to bed an hour later.LOL Agree about facial massage, I find it really great, also isometric facial exercises are great to improve muscle tone to stop that sagging skin.

Guys, I'm going to vouch for this guide. This is pretty much what my boyfriend (who is half Korean, but only came to the U.S. a few years ago) told me to do when he saw a breakout on my face about seven months ago and I've followed it as religiously as I can. It really does work...the only thing that this guide doesn't explain is what kind of product one should use for each step, and that the essence/serum step is for those who want to change the composition of their skin, and not necessarily for those who only wish to maintain it...

It might help someone if I post what I use, so here is the list, in order of use:

!!! IMPORTANT !!!: I wipe each product off with a warm washcloth before moving onto the next until I reach the "toner" and "moisturizer" steps, where I allow the toner to dry

1. Yes to Carrots eye and face makeup remover
  2. Neutrogena Deep Clean cream cleanser
  3. St. Ives apricot scrub (THREE TIMES A WEEK for two minutes)
  4. Home-made oatmeal and honey mask (FOUR TIMES A WEEK for five minutes)
  5. Witch Hazel Extract as a toner
  6. Bio-Oil applied sparingly -- one drop per area (NIGHT) or Neutrogena Oil-Free Fresh moisturizer (DAY)
  7. Neutrogena facial sunscreen on top of moisturizer (OUTING)
You can find all of the products in my list in either Walgreens or CVS.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks !

In the original post there was a link about Laneige, but i didn't want to include it since i barely know that brand. Besides, it's hard to suggest a product per type of skin, they may not have the same effects from one person to another.

For the essence/serum, i tried with my own serum and when i'm done with all my current stuff i'll try to get a entire line of products and see how that works.

bio oil broke me out too i used it on my pregnant belly. not good for face!

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Really ? I wanted to try it, it's supposed to have good coverage so why not ? I'm sick of putting on foundation, i would like to try something else. I heard Missha is good. MAGS!! YOU MUST!! try Clarin's SUper Restorative Tinted Moisturizer. MUST!

Originally Posted by Love Souljah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. St. Ives apricot scrub (THREE TIMES A WEEK for two minutes)
Apricot scrubs tear the skin at a microscopic level. Not good to use, per any dermatologist I've spoken with. And I'm not understanding the need to be using it so frequently either?

I forgot to post its very similar to what I do

1. remove make up w/ clarins gentle eye make up remover. it removes face make up as well. very fab.

2. cleanse w/ clarins gentle foaming cleanser for all skin types. this has been discontinued when it's gone i'm going to use the one for normal/combination skin.

3. clarins toner w/ iris. alcohol free. very very gentle yet effective!

4. clarins repair serum or 2-3x a week pore minimizing serum w/ lotus oil over

5. eye cream

6. neck and dec cream

7. clarins multiactive night cream

during day swap repair serum for pore min serum eye cream for eye serum and ma night for hydra matte moisturizer. i exfoliate 1x a week with clarins gentle exfoliator. 2-3x a week i use clarins brightening lotion before the serum during the day or night depends when i remember to use it. 2x a week i use a clarins mask...its pink...cant remmeber which one. my skin has never looked this fab

Originally Posted by Anna /img/forum/go_quote.gif MAGS!! YOU MUST!! try Clarin's SUper Restorative Tinted Moisturizer. MUST! Lol, as if i wasn't a skincare junkie already ! Will check it out, thanks !
So, here's my actual regimen :

1. Kosé softymo deep cleansing oil

[scrub&mask once a week]

2.La Roche Posay thermal water spray or lavender floral water.

3. Nameraka Honpo essence.

4. Nameraka soy milk cream.

5.Sunscreen.

I found this japanese brand Nameraka, containing soy and suitable for sensitive skins (not to mention one of the very few without arbutin), it has good reviews and it's pretty inexpensive. So far so good.

I use the same regimen. My first cleanse is with DHC oil cleanser, helps remove my sunblock, then I remove with a warm cloth, then I follow up with Skinceuticals cleanser with saliciluyc acid. Then I tone with (distilled water/organic vinegar combo), then I apply a serum (vit c), then I moisturize.

Twice a week I incorporate a mask.

THIS HAS SAVED MY SKIN...What's most important is to keep your skin PH balanced between 4-5.9. This is why I use vit c and vinegar.

I'm kinda in the ball park with that, not quite the same though, I use acne products in plae of toners and serums

Asians are obsessed with flawless skin. And I can't blame them for that.

I use Kojic soap and I like it, despite the fact that it's harsh.

i am half korean. and currently living in korea. for the most part, korean women have excellent skin.

the bb cream made a huge deal a few years ago, but i dont think so many people are using it that much anymore. i hope they're not cause i think bb creams are crap.

korean women have the longest skin care regime ever! it's like 10 steps.

sometimes it can get a little overwhelming going skin care product shopping. for korean products.. SK II is nice. i love their masks! although a bit pricey its defidently worth it. plus masks are a must!! i dont use SK II creams but my mother loves them.
smile.gif
i like my lancome and estee lauder.

Latest posts

Back